Official Tama Drums Thread

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear a limited edition b/w Saturn along side the new Tama version.
Me not being a Mapex dealer (you know the whole Yorkiville/L&M thing) I never got a chance to hear a b/w Mapex. I don't doubt they would sound pretty good. All Saturns sound good to my ears.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Me not being a Mapex dealer (you know the whole Yorkiville/L&M thing) I never got a chance to hear a b/w Mapex. I don't doubt they would sound pretty good. All Saturns sound good to my ears.
Well you would of heard one if you CAME OVER TO SEE MY BARN! :)

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok here’s one for the Tama gang. I have a 90s (I think). HH55 with a mushy old spring. Does this spring assembly exist as a replacement part? The newer assemblies look quite different and there’s nothing remotely this ancient on Tama’s site. Any leads appreciated.
Dave
C46AB1AC-6EBC-4531-9852-C25410C7AD67.jpeg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Did you try emailing Tama and asking if they still offer the replacement spring?

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you try emailing Tama and asking if they still offer the replacement spring?
Thanks Elvis. Sometimes the common sense approach whizzes right past me! I did not assuming what they had would be in their parts section.
I ended up removing one end of the spring from the brass retainer thingy, then clipped off 1/2 inch of coil. Worked like a charm!

starbel

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I purchased a Tama Swing Star from the mid-80s. I can't fit the tom-holder well on the bassdrum because I'm missing a part. I saw the photo posted by "singleflammedmill" on dec 3 and the connection of the tom-holder on my bass drum is exactly like the one shown in the photo. I miss that ring at the base of the tom-holder tube and so, when I tighten the screw, the tube ( 1 inch in diameter ) fails to be perfectly vertical but tilts under the weight of toms because the hole is too large. I ask you if you know if that piece is also present in the current Tama drums or, if it no longer exists, if someone can post a picture or a drawing of that ring so that I can make it handcrafted. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

bubo

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I purchased a Tama Swing Star from the mid-80s. I can't fit the tom-holder well on the bassdrum because I'm missing a part. I saw the photo posted by "singleflammedmill" on dec 3 and the connection of the tom-holder on my bass drum is exactly like the one shown in the photo. I miss that ring at the base of the tom-holder tube and so, when I tighten the screw, the tube ( 1 inch in diameter ) fails to be perfectly vertical but tilts under the weight of toms because the hole is too large. I ask you if you know if that piece is also present in the current Tama drums or, if it no longer exists, if someone can post a picture or a drawing of that ring so that I can make it handcrafted. Thank you very much.
A detailed picture would help getting your request answered precisely.

At the moment i can only imagine you are missing this part (wich often appears to happen):

https://jtzvintagetamadrums.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F87118157565
Maybe you got some success if it´s still available there.

cheers,
érmi

starbel

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bubo. Actually the piece called "metal non-scratch plate" is present in my set. In fact I can tighten the tom-holder tube with the wing scew. But the tube is not tight in the hole and tilts because the hole is wider than the diameter of the tube. I believe that what I lack is the memory ring or some other piece of metal not visible in that photo posted by "singleflammedmill" that narrows the hole a little and keeps the tube vertical. What do you think about it ?

Attachments

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bubo. Actually the piece called "metal non-scratch plate" is present in my set. In fact I can tighten the tom-holder tube with the wing scew. But the tube is not tight in the hole and tilts because the hole is wider than the diameter of the tube. I believe that what I lack is the memory ring or some other piece of metal not visible in that photo posted by "singleflammedmill" that narrows the hole a little and keeps the tube vertical. What do you think about it ?
Do you have the original or later double tom mount? The originals were about 1 1/8" as opposed to the later and more standard 1" holes.
I recently got an old Swingstar set that was missing the double tom mount. Happened to have a trashed similar era Tama cymbal stand... had the the 1 1/8" tube with a 1" downtube hole, so I cut the top off the cymbal stand and used a modern double tom mount.
tama mount.jpeg

starbel

Reaction score
Thank you very much Rich K., I think my problem is just what you say. I don't have the original tom-holder and I tried to use a modern 1 inch one. The tube probably has to touch the three points I highlighted in red in the photo and it must be 1 1/8 inch. Perhaps the extra space is just for the "teeth" of a memory-ring. The chances of finding an original tom-holder are almost zero for me. So I have to do exactly how you did or I could coat my tube with another chrome tube and make it 1 1/8 inch.

Attachments

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those 1-1/8" tom holders are all over the internet. And most of the seem to come with the 1-1/8" memory lock on the main shaft which is critical to helping keep the pipe vertical and taking the load off the wing bolt assembly. I bought 2 of these of this past week just to have them around. If you do get one, ensure it comes with all 3 memory locks as those are harder to find on their own than the mount itself. The correct memory lock has a gap to fit over the tongue piece and a flange to fit into the base plate slot. I'd sell the 1 inch mount and find the 1-1/8th one.

Attachments

Last edited:

starbel

Reaction score
Thanks Tama CW . I will try to find it. Maybe in USA it's easy to find , in Italy a little bit less ... but I will try.

bubo

Reaction score
Thanks Tama CW . I will try to find it. Maybe in USA it's easy to find , in Italy a little bit less ... but I will try.
Look through well known auction sites and include whole European Union in your search.
At least here in Germany those parts appear regularly and intl. shipping should be no deal within EU.

Good catch could be to focus on the UK because of the low British-Pound exchange-rate these days... ;-)
-but hurry before them brexit... :-/

Could be i got one lying around, need to have a close look through my stuff.
Would maybe missing the L-Rods but you could x-change yours for sure.

Will PM you if i find the one i am just thinking of and of course also if i don´t so you won´t be waiting.

Merry Christmas everyone!