Official Yamaha Drums Thread

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What a sweet set Murat! Was the standard 14" deep kick a little more rare? I just dont carry a lot of Yamaha knowledge in my head but I always think of R/C's as having longer kicks. I saw Huey Lewis & the News back in the day and Billy was playing a 6 piece in the same Quartz Grey (with one of his Solid snares) and I've have been a fan ever since!

I had a ton of Yamaha pass through my hands in the day but this was the only one I actually kept for myself.... only just sold it recently as it was just not getting played.

View attachment 387169
Vast majority of the RCs I know were deeper bass drums for sure. This is the second time that I have seen a 14 inch deep one. What a nice set man !

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd really love to find a good deal on the RC Surf Green kit.
Where am I likely to find the best price on it?

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to order a Tour Custom shell pack.
Can't decide between Butterscotch (natural) or Chocolate (brown).
These are my only color options (where I'm making the purchase).

yammie2.jpg
yammie3.jpg

Last edited:

RedRaider

Reaction score
I really dig them both but gravitate towards the chocolate a little bit more. Can't really go wrong with either though.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just put another type of head on these Stage Customs. I haven't found a head these shells don't like.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Piggpenn, how do the Stage Customs compare to the Recording Custom in the background?
I'm not sure I should answer that. I love the Stage Customs and will gig them forever. The RC's not so much. I'm either not used to the tonal qualities or I'm a terrible tuner. Since I have the SC's, my LC's and my Beech Absolutes sounding great, I have to think I'm not the right owner for RCs. However, they look too good to put in cases. LOL. I'm still trying to find a head combo I like with the RCs.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mark those brackets are still on backorder...
Do you want to keep waiting?
No, thanks, Zack. I got everything from another source and everything is installed and working as expected. Did I mention I'm getting a Tour Custom for a ridiculous price? LOL

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure I should answer that. I love the Stage Customs and will gig them forever. The RC's not so much. I'm either not used to the tonal qualities or I'm a terrible tuner. Since I have the SC's, my LC's and my Beech Absolutes sounding great, I have to think I'm not the right owner for RCs. However, they look too good to put in cases. LOL. I'm still trying to find a head combo I like with the RCs.
Thanks for the response. I have a few Recording Customs over the years and found them to be very musical. I had a Cobalt Blue - 24, 10, 12, 13, 16 all hanging toms; Cherrywood - 22, 10,12,14; and a Piano Black 24, 13, 14, 16 with super deep rack toms. I liked all of them, but the depth of the black kit made positioning tough with the 24" kick.

I ran G2's over G1's on the Blue and Cherry kits; and Evan's single ply 10 mil heads I believe on the black kit. I am NOT a pinstripe guy as I just don't like the stick feel, but the ones I have playd with them sounded ok, but again they just weren't for me.

I have yet to own a Stage Custom, but everytime I see one it looks like it is well put together.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
See reply a couple of posts up.....:)
Thanks for that description. It does sound like something is off. Here at Drumcenter CZ, Listen to these two kits below in the SAME ROOM.. ONLY OVERHEADS.... (The vids in Drumcenter Portsmouth are just a little "synthetic" IMO because they only do close micing.. and that can make ANY kit sound really really good.) I am on crappy laptop speakers and the RC is just dominating below from what I hear. These guys ALWAYS upgrade the heads on lower end kits like the SC.. and you will notice hardly ever cut any port in the kick reso heads.

Latest posts