Official Yamaha Drums Thread

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have a few Recording Customs over the years and found them to be very musical. I had a Cobalt Blue - 24, 10, 12, 13, 16 all hanging toms; Cherrywood - 22, 10,12,14; and a Piano Black 24, 13, 14, 16 with super deep rack toms. I liked all of them, but the depth of the black kit made positioning tough with the 24" kick.

I ran G2's over G1's on the Blue and Cherry kits; and Evan's single ply 10 mil heads I believe on the black kit. I am NOT a pinstripe guy as I just don't like the stick feel, but the ones I have playd with them sounded ok, but again they just weren't for me.

I have yet to own a Stage Custom, but everytime I see one it looks like it is well put together.
Did you have your RC's tuned up or down? Mine are low to mid where I tend to like everything. I think the SCs are as well built as anything. They tune from high up to way low. Impressive. The price is unbelievable for what you get. It's money well spent if you are thinking about one.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to compete with DCNH nor am I any awarding winning drummer. Just a weekend warrior giggin' all the time. lol

Here's a bit from both kits SC and RC.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Didn't know this thread existed. I own a 1981 Tour Series concert tom kit 8/10/12/13/16/18/24 and 1980 9000D pre-recording series 5 pc. std sized kit.

best 2.jpg
Best 1.jpg

Drumprof

Reaction score
Gorgeous. These might be on the horizon at some point. Is that the walnut (red-ish) finish? Looks great. Actually, that might even be the prettiest finish I’ve seen for those.
Yes. Classic Walnut.
10, 12, 14, 20, matching snare and I have a component 18 as well to bop.
The Hybrids are a terrific build, great huge open warm sound but with an aggressive attack. Highly recommend.

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Today I brought home a Stage Custom Bop kit. I had it at a rehearsal space and it was used for lessons. Changed the heads to coated Amb. on both sides and BOOM! A wonderful sound for so called 'budget' drums. Highly recommended.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had band rehearsal for the first time since getting my RCs last night and the boys saw the RCs for the first time and agreed they were eye popping.

I have to admit they sound better with a band than by themselves. I'm starting to really like them now. Ya can't have'm.

spazapproved

Reaction score
I really want to buy brass die cast hoops for my YMC kit... I'm itching to do this
But man I priced it out and er mer gerg lol $$$$

tbart16

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up an RTC bass drum 26x18....oh my thunder it shakes the windows in my house. Still looking for a 16" floor Tom in black sparkle.

RedRaider

Reaction score
Today I brought home a Stage Custom Bop kit. I had it at a rehearsal space and it was used for lessons. Changed the heads to coated Amb. on both sides and BOOM! A wonderful sound for so called 'budget' drums. Highly recommended.
I just picked a set of them as well 20/12/14 for $300. They already had new coated ambassadors top and bottom and you're right...BOOM! Can't wait to get them under mics on Sunday at church to see how they perform.

**Looking for a 20in factory reso head...if anyone has one, please let me know how much you want for it.**

Attachments

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an SD-493 brass snare that my brother had. I wasn't going to keep it because I'm not a huge piccolo snare guy until... I got a video of Levon Helm playing drums and it is they same type snare he plays in it. So now it will never leave me.

croomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone swapped hoops on their Stage Custom kit? Just wondering what people have tried vs the stock 1.6mm hoops.

Drumprof

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped hoops on their Stage Custom kit? Just wondering what people have tried vs the stock 1.6mm hoops.
Yes. I had a Stage Custom for about a year Swapped our the hoops with 2.3 and it made a noticeable difference.
A bit more focused, increased the tuning range up (I’m a jazzer) and the drums just felt a little more substantial.

I thought it was a good return for little investment. I used drum factory direct standard 2.3’s. Sold the drums with the hoops because I upgraded to absolute hybrids.
I would recommend it.
I would say do it.

Latest posts