Official Yamaha Drums Thread

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No wonder I've seen em get expensive. I don't think I've seen the Black Sparkle in a while.
I want a recording Custom snare. I can get an old Brass on for $200. Should I go with that, or wood?
My Maple Custom Absolute in green is going for 3500. Could that be right? Oh its 10, 12, 14, 16, 22. I remember the guy who sold it to me got it to mr for $900, and threw in the 16 new.
The kit on the video sounds amazing

Targalx

Reaction score
Like Tama, they have factories in both Japan and China. The premium lines are the only ones still made in Japan.
If I'm not mistaken, the only Yamaha model still constructed in Japan is the Phoenix (PHX) series. Everything else is likely China (do they still have the Indonesia or Taiwan factories, too?).

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My SD-495 snare is an old brass Yamaha snare from the late '80s I bought for about $200 a few years ago. It has been my #1 rock snare drum since!
I'm glad you like it. I've been on a snare kick, but have none from Yamaha.
I don't know much about the Recording Custom brass snare. If it's your main snare, I'm sure it doesn't sound bad. I'll grab it.
What's the price range on the Phoenix?
MIJ was conciderd junk back when Lexas, was called Datsun. They never died....The people looking over the made in China gear, are Japanese, and still have their quality control standards

Targalx

Reaction score
I'm glad you like it. I've been on a snare kick, but have none from Yamaha.
I don't know much about the Recording Custom brass snare. If it's your main snare, I'm sure it doesn't sound bad. I'll grab it.
What's the price range on the Phoenix?
MIJ was conciderd junk back when Lexas, was called Datsun. They never died....The people looking over the made in China gear, are Japanese, and still have their quality control standards
I'm not sure if my SD-495 was from the Recording Custom series, or if it was a standalone Yamaha brass snare model. I'm sure someone here can chime on this. If you can try one at a store, that's your best bet to see if it'll work for you. If not, check out some of the videos online with Yamaha brass snares, to see if it's a good fit for your needs.

The Phoenix is expensive, as I think the PHX kits start around $5,000-ish (maybe more) and go up from there.

Yes, the 1970s Japanese cars, motorcycles and electronics were the first to prove that Japan meant great quality. People quickly realized that their Hondas and Toyotas were never in the shop!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if my SD-495 was from the Recording Custom series, or if it was a standalone Yamaha brass snare model. I'm sure someone here can chime on this. If you can try one at a store, that's your best bet to see if it'll work for you. If not, check out some of the videos online with Yamaha brass snares, to see if it's a good fit for your needs.

The Phoenix is expensive, as I think the PHX kits start around $5,000-ish (maybe more) and go up from there.

Yes, the 1970s Japanese cars, motorcycles and electronics were the first to prove that Japan meant great quality. People quickly realized that their Hondas and Toyotas were never in the shop!
Yeah, even in 91, I had an Accord that went 250k, and never needed any major work.
5k for the Phoenix? That's getting up there with that other brands Star Bubinga series.
I've never played, or even seen a Phoenix in person. For 5 G's, and not an exotic wood, it must sound amazing!, or a gold throw off on the snare

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like Tama, they have factories in both Japan and China. The premium lines are the only ones still made in Japan.
The premium line that is.

Only the PHX is cutrently made in Japan.

All the other series are made in high quality factories in China and Taiwan.

Last edited:

Latest posts