Official Yamaha Drums Thread

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No wonder I've seen em get expensive. I don't think I've seen the Black Sparkle in a while.
I want a recording Custom snare. I can get an old Brass on for $200. Should I go with that, or wood?
My Maple Custom Absolute in green is going for 3500. Could that be right? Oh its 10, 12, 14, 16, 22. I remember the guy who sold it to me got it to mr for $900, and threw in the 16 new.
The kit on the video sounds amazing

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like Tama, they have factories in both Japan and China. The premium lines are the only ones still made in Japan.
If I'm not mistaken, the only Yamaha model still constructed in Japan is the Phoenix (PHX) series. Everything else is likely China (do they still have the Indonesia or Taiwan factories, too?).

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My SD-495 snare is an old brass Yamaha snare from the late '80s I bought for about $200 a few years ago. It has been my #1 rock snare drum since!
I'm glad you like it. I've been on a snare kick, but have none from Yamaha.
I don't know much about the Recording Custom brass snare. If it's your main snare, I'm sure it doesn't sound bad. I'll grab it.
What's the price range on the Phoenix?
MIJ was conciderd junk back when Lexas, was called Datsun. They never died....The people looking over the made in China gear, are Japanese, and still have their quality control standards

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you like it. I've been on a snare kick, but have none from Yamaha.
I don't know much about the Recording Custom brass snare. If it's your main snare, I'm sure it doesn't sound bad. I'll grab it.
What's the price range on the Phoenix?
MIJ was conciderd junk back when Lexas, was called Datsun. They never died....The people looking over the made in China gear, are Japanese, and still have their quality control standards
I'm not sure if my SD-495 was from the Recording Custom series, or if it was a standalone Yamaha brass snare model. I'm sure someone here can chime on this. If you can try one at a store, that's your best bet to see if it'll work for you. If not, check out some of the videos online with Yamaha brass snares, to see if it's a good fit for your needs.

The Phoenix is expensive, as I think the PHX kits start around $5,000-ish (maybe more) and go up from there.

Yes, the 1970s Japanese cars, motorcycles and electronics were the first to prove that Japan meant great quality. People quickly realized that their Hondas and Toyotas were never in the shop!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if my SD-495 was from the Recording Custom series, or if it was a standalone Yamaha brass snare model. I'm sure someone here can chime on this. If you can try one at a store, that's your best bet to see if it'll work for you. If not, check out some of the videos online with Yamaha brass snares, to see if it's a good fit for your needs.

The Phoenix is expensive, as I think the PHX kits start around $5,000-ish (maybe more) and go up from there.

Yes, the 1970s Japanese cars, motorcycles and electronics were the first to prove that Japan meant great quality. People quickly realized that their Hondas and Toyotas were never in the shop!
Yeah, even in 91, I had an Accord that went 250k, and never needed any major work.
5k for the Phoenix? That's getting up there with that other brands Star Bubinga series.
I've never played, or even seen a Phoenix in person. For 5 G's, and not an exotic wood, it must sound amazing!, or a gold throw off on the snare

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like Tama, they have factories in both Japan and China. The premium lines are the only ones still made in Japan.
The premium line that is.

Only the PHX is cutrently made in Japan.

All the other series are made in high quality factories in China and Taiwan.

Last edited:

Drumceet

Reaction score
Here is my Yamaha SC’s newer version...12,14,16,22...not using the 10 at the moment. I’ve swapped the original snare for a Ludwig 1984 Hammered Chrome 402. I love these drums, and love them even more once I started gigging and heard them in a big room. Perfect tone and projection, well above their price range. The toms sound awesome!

When I bought the shell pack the store told me I would receive single brace hardware but when the kit showed up all the hardware was double braced.

E1234412-1E58-4C0C-8BB6-E71A223DF99A.jpeg

From the front when I set up both toms...
FB1F78EC-ED30-46EA-9D6E-0211A22C59B9.jpeg

Last edited:

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My SD-495 snare is an old brass Yamaha snare from the late '80s I bought for about $200 a few years ago. It has been my #1 rock snare drum since!
I have a 493 Picolo. Would love to add a 495 to keep it company

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently rejoined the Yamaha fold when I got a killer deal on a new set of Tour Customs (22/10/12/16). I've been so impressed with them that I added both a 9x13 and a 13x14. And I took advantage of the recent Cascio 25% off sale and got the matching 6.5x14 snare. It just arrived today, and again, I'm impressed. Hard to beat these guys for the price.

(Please excuse my cluttered drum room!)

20190909_191949 2.jpg

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
My new Stage Custom Birch Bop kit.
My drum room has mood lighting. (4 different colored LED bulbs in the ceiling) So I used a flash, so the colors are off.
I’ll have to take some during the day with the blind open.
842C34B6-DC15-4DC4-9980-4AA0FD172B5D.jpeg
0F69B300-CBD1-4587-967E-03EFAEBF60D4.jpeg
E14876E4-CC99-4939-BA2E-9AC801CE8561.jpeg

Drumceet

Reaction score
So what are your thoughts on the SC snare that comes with the set? I never really used it at first since my go to is a Ludwig 1984 Hammered Chrome 402, but lately I’ve been messing around with the SC wood snare and I’m liking it.

I’m not sure if it’s considered a decent or good snare, but after swapping out the heads for a Remo Hazy 300 bottom and coated Ambassador batter, with new wires, it’s sounding much better.

I use zero muffling on either snare, bottom tuned tight, with wires a smidge past lose, with high tuning on batter and I definitely like the crack I’m getting. I just prefer 6.5x14 snares, so the SC doesn’t have the depth I like, but it’s not bad.

I may sit out the Ludwig at our next gig and give the SC a shot.

Just curious what most of you think, do you play the SC snare, or swap it out?

Also, where do most of you stand on snare wire tightness? I tap the snare lightly and slowly bring up the tension, and when the excess rattle ends, I stop. I’ve sat behind other people’s drums and I’m always surprised to see just how tight their snare wires are. If I do that on the 402 or SC snare, they lose all that sensitivity and openness that I love to hear in snares. Thoughts?

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you tighten the snare wires too much, you’re “choking” the drum. Usually leads to a mediocre snare drum sound, or it sounds like a cardboard box.
Many drummers forget that the snare wires are supposed to dance on the head.
Stretch

Drumceet

Reaction score
If you tighten the snare wires too much, you’re “choking” the drum. Usually leads to a mediocre snare drum sound, or it sounds like a cardboard box.
Many drummers forget that the snare wires are supposed to dance on the head.
Stretch
Ok I’ve always wondered what people meant about choking the drum. I figured they meant how tight the heads were, but I love my snares tuned high. Now I get it, they were talking about the wires! Thanks for clarifying.

I’ve got OCD when it comes to knowing what sounds good. I’ve found the sound at the kit, is never really what the audience hears or what the microphone is picking up. I feel ok about my snare sound, but then when I go to the front of house or a recording from the board I’m super impressed.

Drumceet

Reaction score
Anyone? Did we all of a sudden lose interest in these topics LOL

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone? Did we all of a sudden lose interest in these topics LOL
I’m guessing a lot of guys swap out the snare. That’s often the weak link in intermediate kits. Then again, even if it were a “pro-level” shell pack that came with a snare, a lot of guys would still swap it out in favor of something from their collections, so that’s less a commentary on SCs.

I haven’t owned Stage Customs since I was a teenager, but I know replacing the steel snare mine came with (along with new heads) was a priority as soon as I got my kit. I’ve never been a fan of steel. Eventually lucked into a good deal on an Akira Jimbo model, which I still own.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We have a Stage Custom Birch at work. It's about 9 years old now. I'll tell you-- that snare, even with stock wires, punches way above its weight.

I think those Live Oak hybrids (or whatever they're called) are way overpriced but otherwise basically everything in the Yamaha line is doing what it should.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We have a Stage Custom Birch at work. It's about 9 years old now. I'll tell you-- that snare, even with stock wires, punches way above its weight.

I think those Live Oak hybrids (or whatever they're called) are way overpriced but otherwise basically everything in the Yamaha line is doing what it should.
I think the price was a bit of a shocker for a lot of people, myself included, especially given how affordable the previous iterations of oak-shelled Yammies had been. That said, my impression from all the guys on the Yamaha Drum Closet FB group who now own LCHs is that they’re actually selling pretty well. Maybe it’s just those diehard Yamaha fans, though? ‍♂

Either way, I’d love to own a set. Just have to give them time to start trickling into the used market, because I can’t afford one of those brand new!

Latest posts