Official Yamaha Drums Thread

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Today’s project is to put the Silent Strokes (with the L80 pack) on the blueberry Beech Customs. I have a little shell bank of two 3-piece BC kits now (12/13/14/16/20/22), so we will see what life is like on the really quiet side. I got rid of the 10” tom, since I never play 10”s, but this Silent Stroke pack came with a 10” head, so now I kinda wished I kept it just for completeness sake!

I wonder if they’d be quieter without the YESS mounts...?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just placed the Silent Strokes and L80s on the Yamaha Beech Customs (12/16/22). Wow, this is going to be fun! It's so nice to play an actual drum set after 6 months of either nothing or the DTX760 (which is a killer e-kit, but it's not real drums). Even if it's on mesh heads and totally attenuated, it's still nice to just set up a kit.

I had a no-name "custom" maple snare that I was going to use with the Beech Customs. But, as is the case with no-name stuff, the snare had pieces that were rattling. So, I took it into the garage and tried to tighten things up, but the screws were all frozen. I gave up after a few minutes; I'll spray it with WD-40 or something tomorrow.

I really wanted to play the kit with a snare, so I pulled out the Maple Custom Absolute 14x5 snare in Sea Blue Lacquer (what a color!) that I've had for some 20 years, and of course, that thing is in perfect shape, so I threw the Silent Stroke head on it and started jamming away.

BTW: I like these L80s, a little high pitched though. Might need to throw on a bit of a Moon Gel and see what happens.

Running all of this with my Crosstown hardware and my FP-7210A pedal and my Spinal G throne, using a random pair of Vic Firth SD10 Swinger sticks (someone must've gave me these because I've never bought SD10s before) and all is well in my house tonight!

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Took the little RC sunburst set out for my first gig since St. Patrick's Day. Gig was a small outdoor wedding at a winery on the central CA coast. Sunburst set acquitted itself nicely and it was so good to be back in the saddle. Who knows when it'll happen again, but today I got to feel like my old self for a few hours.

E47D4EB5-048C-4B17-9C6E-3A0532321E97.jpeg
8DEAD02A-F117-4DD9-91F6-8BCF48F8DBA7.jpeg

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice!

All you need next is a set if crosstown hardware.

I had the same light stands you have and the switch was mindboggling.

As I thought it couldn’t get any lighter. And it kept the same sturdiness.
Had a set of the Crosstowns and traded them to a friend for a set of 700 series stands for the practice shed set. My mix of 600 and 700 series stands shown in the pics are light enough and (my personal opinion) look a million times better than the Crosstown stuff. I use a Rock and Roller cart so the only actual lifting of the hardware bag I do is out of the vehicle and back into the vehicle.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had a set of the Crosstowns and traded them to a friend for a set of 700 series stands for the practice shed set. My mix of 600 and 700 series stands shown in the pics are light enough and (my personal opinion) look a million times better than the Crosstown stuff. I use a Rock and Roller cart so the only actual lifting of the hardware bag I do is out of the vehicle and back into the vehicle.
Yeah looks are a personal thing.

But you won’t see me going back to the heavier 600 and 700 anytime. For me it was that significant in weight difference.

My back has Endured its life more than enough :icon_e_biggrin:

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, the 13-16-24 + matching maple snare made it in. Got them all set up down at the shed. Been awhile since I've played a 24" bass drum. Gotta get used to that one again. The big set and snare are all made in May and June, 2012, while the little drums are 1994-1996. A nice surprise as they are in better condition than the big set and pretty rare in the mid-90's to have trad-sized smaller drums. Between these and the 9000GA set, ol' Ryno's a pretty happy camper. Whenever festival gigs or other large outdoor gigs happen again, I can't wait to rock the big'uns!

F027D59B-0ABD-4BA8-B337-227E5FD5B150_1_201_a.jpeg

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Been awhile since I've played a 24" bass drum. Gotta get used to that one again.
Congrats! Yeah, I rarely use my 24" anymore. I got mine about 17 years ago. It's always an adjustment getting behind the wheel with it (and then I also have to readjust the beater shaft height), since I haven't used it much in recent years.

You know, I pulled out my 24" earlier this year and realized that I'm kind of over it. It had its time and place with me, I did a lot of shows (yes, lots of outdoor festivals!) and sessions with it, but I think I'll be staying with a 22" as the largest kick. I just don't have that kind of gig that really necessitates a 24" any longer.

But, I wish you all the best with your 24". I hope you'll find it to be an awesome kicker with those fun outdoor fests and gigs!

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congrats! Yeah, I rarely use my 24" anymore. I got mine about 17 years ago. It's always an adjustment getting behind the wheel with it (and then I also have to readjust the beater shaft height), since I haven't used it much in recent years.

You know, I pulled out my 24" earlier this year and realized that I'm kind of over it. It had its time and place with me, I did a lot of shows (yes, lots of outdoor festivals!) and sessions with it, but I think I'll be staying with a 22" as the largest kick. I just don't have that kind of gig that really necessitates a 24" any longer.

But, I wish you all the best with your 24". I hope you'll find it to be an awesome kicker with those fun outdoor fests and gigs!
I keep the same beater shaft height no matter what size drum I play, so no probs there. It's mainly getting used to the "hitting a sail" feel of the larger head. Also, the big bass drum shipped with the NOS clear Pinstripe batter head, which I've never found particularly favorable.

I'll play it for awhile, but will eventually replace it. I'm primarily a 20" bass drum aficionado, but will make a concerted effort to include this big gal into the mix. Realistically, I'm only looking at about 5-10 gigs per year (non-Covid) where the big bass drum would apply.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I mentioned it in another post, but I have to say that a friend of mine just got a brand new Stage Custom kit and I'm pretty impressed with it. The fit, finish and most importantly the sound is far better than I wouldn't have expected for an inexpensive kit and I like the fact that it's available with a 20" bass, what my friend got and my favorite size. It seems that this is a rarer option on cheaper lines of drums.

If money was no object, I'd say that Yamaha drums might be my choice as well, at least for bigger name Japanese brands. I'd surely pick those over Pearl or Tama. More often than not, I see Yamaha as backline drums and I figure that there must be something to that...

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I keep the same beater shaft height no matter what size drum I play, so no probs there. It's mainly getting used to the "hitting a sail" feel of the larger head. Also, the big bass drum shipped with the NOS clear Pinstripe batter head, which I've never found particularly favorable. I'll play it for awhile, but will eventually replace it. I'm primarily a 20" bass drum aficionado, but will make a concerted effort to include this big gal into the mix. Realistically, I'm only looking at about 5-10 gigs per year (non-Covid) where the big bass drum would apply.
Hitting a sail, totally. I actually quite like those NOS clear Pinstripe BD batters. So much that I packed a few more Pinstripes in my case when I toured with my 24" in the mid-2000s.

Yeah, I'm very good with the 20"s, too — I recently set up my Beech Customs as a 20x17/13x9/16x16. Oooh, what a sweet combo.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hitting a sail, totally. I actually quite like those NOS clear Pinstripe BD batters. So much that I packed a few more Pinstripes in my case when I toured with my 24" in the mid-2000s.

Yeah, I'm very good with the 20"s, too — I recently set up my Beech Customs as a 20x17/13x9/16x16. Oooh, what a sweet combo.
Total honest disclosure... all of these sunburst drums are a result of Covid insanity, boredom, and lack of spending money on anything else. Might as well get rare drums that I love and won’t lose value, right? Better than hookers and blow (arguably).

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
5 Style, Yamaha backline drums are the reason I’m a Yamaha nutswinger today! Played a few festivals with various Yamaha sets and they all exceeded expectations. Made sense to have my personal sets feel the same way.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I mentioned it in another post, but I have to say that a friend of mine just got a brand new Stage Custom kit and I'm pretty impressed with it. The fit, finish and most importantly the sound is far better than I wouldn't have expected for an inexpensive kit and I like the fact that it's available with a 20" bass, what my friend got and my favorite size. It seems that this is a rarer option on cheaper lines of drums.
I sometimes think about selling everything and just buying a full Stage Custom Birch shell bank (and banking the rest of the cash I'd make from selling it all off).

I really don't need much, I'd get 22, 20, 18 kicks, 12 and 13 rack toms, 14 and 16 floors, and be done. I'd keep probably 4 of my 8 snares: SD-495, Recording Custom 14x8, Maple Custom Absolute 14x5, and the Ludwig LB400B. Sure would free up a lot space around this here house.

I would also get a matching Stage Custom Hip, so it'd have to be all natural or black, since those are the two colors that match the regular SCB series; that way, I could mix and match and keep it all consistent.

I think I would dearly miss my many different Yamaha kits. But since a Stage Custom really is THAT good, if that's the only kit I ever have for the rest of my life moving forward, I'd die a content man.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I sometimes think about selling everything and just buying a full Stage Custom Birch shell bank (and banking the rest of the cash I'd make from selling it all off).

I really don't need much, I'd get 22, 20, 18 kicks, 12 and 13 rack toms, 14 and 16 floors, and be done. I'd keep probably 4 of my 8 snares: SD-495, Recording Custom 14x8, Maple Custom Absolute 14x5, and the Ludwig LB400B. Sure would free up a lot space around this here house.

I would also get a matching Stage Custom Hip, so it'd have to be all natural or black, since those are the two colors that match the regular SCB series; that way, I could mix and match and keep it all consistent.

I think I would dearly miss my many different Yamaha kits. But since a Stage Custom really is THAT good, if that's the only kit I ever have for the rest of my life moving forward, I'd die a content man.
Blasphemy!