Official Yamaha Drums Thread

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hahaha! Wow, I didn't know I'd have so many people lined up at my door waiting to buy my kits. Yeah, sorry, nothing's for sale (well, as of yet). I have a lot of thinking to do before I make any moves.

wraub

Reaction score
After playing this kit as a 10,12,16,22 I recently added in the 13 and am using a (non-Yamaha) 20" bass drum for the time being... The 20 works better for me with the deeper toms, and adding the 13 really makes a difference imo.

I will have a 20" Yamaha BD as soon as I can find the "right" one, i.e. one not far away that is also not expensive.

Older thread, so I'll post about my "new to me" older drums... ;)

I've always been a big fan of Yamaha drums and MIJ quality, but hard to justify on my budget as a new-ish drummer.

Then I found an old Yamaha Power V Special set, all black- 10,12,13, and a 22 bass. Also in the deal was a black 16x14 MIJ Yamaha Beech Custom mounted floor tom, with stand. All are in very good shape, although the wrap on the bass has some minor issues, but, it's black so they're mostly hard to see. :D
The price was right for my budget, too.

So far, I am very pleased. :)

Drumceet

Reaction score
I see many photos of the toms set really low and I’m surprised people do this. I find the toms resonate so much more when the Tom holder is raised up more.

When I originally bought my YSC set I could never get the 12” to sound good. Changed heads, messed with tunings and all it took was for me to raise the Tom holder higher and tilt the tom. Night and day difference, now it sounds great and resonates beautifully.

Reaction score
Hi Yamaha aficionados,

Sakae Snake Bites. They're a thing.

I've got these Maple Custom bass drum hoops, and there's a pair of holes drilled into the back of them. I can't remember ever seeing them on my Oak Custom hoops, but I have definitely seen them (plugged) on the face of a Sakae Trilogy bass drum hoop:

sakae_snake_bite by The 017, on Flickr

Does anyone know exactly what their purpose is? They line up perfectly with the diagonal seams, so all I can think of is they're for indexing. But indexing for what?

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Yamaha aficionados,

Sakae Snake Bites. They're a thing.

I've got these Maple Custom bass drum hoops, and there's a pair of holes drilled into the back of them. I can't remember ever seeing them on my Oak Custom hoops, but I have definitely seen them (plugged) on the face of a Sakae Trilogy bass drum hoop:

sakae_snake_bite by The 017, on Flickr

Does anyone know exactly what their purpose is? They line up perfectly with the diagonal seams, so all I can think of is they're for indexing. But indexing for what?
Looks like they might have been used to hang the hoops for whatever finishing they apply to them. A few could've potentially made it through QC without filling them and with the assembled drum, they'd be out of sight out of mind.

AgentGreen

Reaction score
I see many photos of the toms set really low and I’m surprised people do this. I find the toms resonate so much more when the Tom holder is raised up more.

When I originally bought my YSC set I could never get the 12” to sound good. Changed heads, messed with tunings and all it took was for me to raise the Tom holder higher and tilt the tom. Night and day difference, now it sounds great and resonates beautifully.
Thanks for that tip, I've been struggling with my 12 as well to make it sound as good as the 10 & 14 I've got. I'll give it a try!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The sustain has more to do with the rod of the ball arm in the Yess mount/in the tom.

The more it inserts, the shorter the sustain.

I never had any issues or noticed any differences in the height of the toms on Yamaha or other drums.

wraub

Reaction score
I switched the "other brand" 20" bass drum for my Yamaha 22x16 BD, put some new heads on it, and offset the toms that were mounted on the bass.

It is not bad. :D

I'm also going back and forth between the 8-lug Tour Custom Maple and the 10-lug big leaf mahogany Rock Tour snare drums. The definitely sound different from each other, and they both sound good, although I think I prefer the mahogany.

Reaction score
Looks like they might have been used to hang the hoops for whatever finishing they apply to them. A few could've potentially made it through QC without filling them and with the assembled drum, they'd be out of sight out of mind.
I had a quick look at my Oak Custom hoops, and they only have one hole that lines up with the seam.

These holes are also only about 4mm deep and 2mm in diameter, which to me isn't sufficient to hang them securely enough for them not to fall off. Also, the Sakae Trilogy I alluded to, I was mistaken. The holes weren't plugged/filled in them, either.

The mystery continues...

Last edited:

LL Studio

Reaction score
Hi All. Does anyone know anything about this 5x14 Yamaha snare that I just came by in a kit I inherited? It is missing its badge and I can't find another example of a Yamaha block snare anywhere. Any info is appreciated, especially as I'm not a drummer. I'm guessing 80's by those lugs, but I am far from an expert.

2020-11-28 11.20.14.jpg
2020-11-28 11.21.05.jpg
2020-11-28 11.20.38.jpg

Last edited: