Official Yamaha Drums Thread

Reaction score
Hemant* said:
I also have a Tour Custom Cobalt Blue standard sized kit as well - 22/12/13/16. That was the same line and finish that Anton Fig originally had on The Letterman show, and Omar Hakim was playing in "Bring On The Night" with Sting. I always liked the Tour Custom birch mahogany hybrid shell much better than the all birch RCs. I always thought the Tour Customs were fatter and punchier.

If you ever decide you want to thin out some singles from that Cobalt Blue Tour Custom inventory - drop me a PM :icon_smile:
They are also the drums that Andy Newmark, Manu Katche, and many others were using. Weckl used them when he was playing "jazz" back then (in Blue) too... Anyway, you have great taste in drums, but unfortunately, I don't foresee me ever selling any of these, E V E R ! If I ever get another "higher" choice in drums, these will stay as my road kit (as they have been for years.)

It's just really nice to have a choice of drums for all the different gigs I do. And still only one (actually two, one home, one packed at all times) set of hardware to deal with. I tell people all the time, when you find a set of drums that you REALLY like (or love) buy all of the sizes (if you can.) You never know what you'll want to use on a certain gig. That's what I did with these, and my Black Gretsch's.

Back to the subject at hand.
Yamaha drums!!!

And speaking of Yamaha drums, does anyone know what the shell layup difference is between the PHX drums as compared to the OLDER Tour Customs? I know both combine birch and mahogany, and I know the PHX have an outer ply that is very nice looking. But aside from that, does anyone know the difference? Because when I played a set of PHX's they sounded VERY close to my Tours (maybe "wishful hearing," but I swear that's what I heard.)

Just wondering?
MSG

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A sampling of some Yamaha goodness I've owned in the past...

R

RickP

MSG,

The PHX Phoenix series have a Jatoba core, sandwiched by kapur then sandwiched by maple and some have an out veneer of figured Ash. They are very thick shells with the hardest plies ( Jatoba) at the center and the plies getting progressively softer as you get to the outer plies.

tbart16

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha RTC in Black sparkle

2-24x16 kicks
1-22x16 kick
1-18x16 floor tom
1-14x14 Tom
1-13x13 tom
1-12x12 tom
1-10x10 tom
1-12x10 tom
1-13x11 tom
2-14x12 toms
2-15x13 toms
1-14x6.5 snare drum (white)
I am always looking for the elusive 8" black sparkle tom and a 16" black sparkle floor tom

I love the RTC's

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also have a Tour Custom Cobalt Blue standard sized kit as well - 22/12/13/16. That was the same line and finish that Anton Fig originally had on The Letterman show, and Omar Hakim was playing in "Bring On The Night" with Sting. I always liked the Tour Custom birch mahogany hybrid shell much better than the all birch RCs. I always thought the Tour Customs were fatter and punchier.

If you ever decide you want to thin out some singles from that Cobalt Blue Tour Custom inventory - drop me a PM :icon_smile:
They are also the drums that Andy Newmark, Manu Katche, and many others were using. Weckl used them when he was playing "jazz" back then (in Blue) too... Anyway, you have great taste in drums, but unfortunately, I don't foresee me ever selling any of these, E V E R ! If I ever get another "higher" choice in drums, these will stay as my road kit (as they have been for years.)

It's just really nice to have a choice of drums for all the different gigs I do. And still only one (actually two, one home, one packed at all times) set of hardware to deal with. I tell people all the time, when you find a set of drums that you REALLY like (or love) buy all of the sizes (if you can.) You never know what you'll want to use on a certain gig. That's what I did with these, and my Black Gretsch's.

Back to the subject at hand.
Yamaha drums!!!

And speaking of Yamaha drums, does anyone know what the shell layup difference is between the PHX drums as compared to the OLDER Tour Customs? I know both combine birch and mahogany, and I know the PHX have an outer ply that is very nice looking. But aside from that, does anyone know the difference? Because when I played a set of PHX's they sounded VERY close to my Tours (maybe "wishful hearing," but I swear that's what I heard.)

Just wondering?
MSG

MSG - what type of heads are you using on your Tour Customs?

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wasn't Omar's Sting kit a Recording Custom? It was Cobalt Blue, but had long lugs.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wasn't Omar's Sting kit a Recording Custom? It was Cobalt Blue, but had long lugs.
Yes - you are correct. My mistake. Same color - but Omar was playing an RC kit in the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hemant,

Clear Ambassador's top and bottom. I have used coated Ambassadors (a little more attack, but those drums don't need help with attack,) but on those, the clears are a little rounder. I've used Emperor's, but they were a little muted on those drums. I really don't take the Blue Tours on jazz gigs so I don't need the coated.

However, the little black jazz sized tours have the Vintage Ambassadors and they sound REALLY good!!! Round, warm, and yes pretty vintage-y. I think those Vintage Ambassadors really get a nice round "vintage" tone out of "modern" drums. (And yes I consider the Tours to be modern drums!)

The big bass drums usually get PS or Powers Stroke 3's, but I did pop on a clear for that "Keltner thing." The smaller bass drums get clears. I don't like the Tour Snares so I don't have any of them.

Yes, I thought Omar used Recording Custom's too. But I haven't seen those old clips for a while. I'm pretty sure his red ones with Weather Report were Recording Customs.

MSG

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks MSG. I have been using coated Ambs on the Tour Customs - but they are due for a reheading. I am thinking of trying the vintage ambassador or ambassadorX heads as I want something just a bit thicker - but not Emperor thick.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
RickP said:
The PHX Phoenix series have a Jatoba core, sandwiched by kapur then sandwiched by maple, and some have an out veneer of figured Ash. They are very thick shells with the hardest plies ( Jatoba) at the center and the plies getting progressively softer as you get to the outer plies.
Just thought I'd clarify what "very thick shells" means for the PHX. These are some of the thickest drum shells I've ever seen. They are about a half inch thick (maybe a little thicker) for a rack tom. They weren't my cup of tea when I tuned and played them, but I've heard them sound great when played by some of Yamaha's endorsers. Actually, the majority of drummers I've seen playing these kits are endorsers and some of these endorsers switched back to their regular Yamaha kits after playing PHX for a while. Don't get me wrong, PHX are beautifully and immaculately made drums, but due to their design they're very much a specialty item you'll either dig or forget.

phoster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This thread got me thinking about the other Yamaha drums I've had over the years.

I found pics of the following oldies but goodies:
2001 Yamaha Stage Custom 20,8,10,12,14 Stage Custom in natural finish. Great sounding kit, wish I hadn't traded towards a Session Custom kit in the wrong sizes.
Jimmy Chamberlin Snare - traded it towards the Noble and Cooley kit. Would love to have another.
YMCA 5x14 natural finish snare - see above comment
Yamaha 9000 8x14 Black with the original strainer and butt replaced (got this essentially free from a friend but it had been abused. Still have it but don't currently play material that fits with a deep snare.
Yamaha 500 series module and dtx pads. Used these for the last 3 years to practice at home on. Now able to practice on acoustics so currently not being used.
A pic of my cherry YMCAs on the Hex Rack

bcarey13

Team Bonham
Reaction score
Here is some of my Tour Custom Cobalts...22,10,12,14,16....That 14x14 took me a while to find. I have another 8 Cobalt drums in different sizes for different situations. I found NOS Yamaha logo'd pinstripes on Ebay so I put those on. I also found the same NOS heads in clear ambassadors which I prefer on these drums. The pinstripes are a nice change though....brings me back.

Here's a picture of my Bass drum Head that belonged to Gadd back in the early 80's. I actually got an email from him, and not one of his helpers giving me his address so I could send it to him to sign for me....funny, I got the email from him a few days after one of his helpers told me he was too busy to do anything like that...pretty cool guy in my book

jhall

Reaction score
I grabbed one of the 45th anniversary RC kits. They reissued 3 colors and making 15 kits in each color; Stage White, Mellow Yellow and Hot Red.

This is a fantastic instrument, and love the lack of isolation mounting hardware (YESS). I have it all tricked it out ala Steve Jordan! These drums are fantastic!

Jamie

Reaction score
There are only a few companies that are on the same level as Yamaha. It saddens me to have to sell both my kits but I will get more down the road. Family is expanding so drum stock needs to deplete.

Selling a live oak custom in sunburst: 10, 12, 14, 18 BD practically brand new. 12" tom never used

PHX matte black: 10x7,12x8,14x13,16x15, 22x16 near perfect condition. This one is killing me to sell but family comes first. Anyone interested let me know. I will be traveling by car to Chicago next week and could drop one off on the way if needed to save on shipping.

davidh

Reaction score
nomsgmusic says: "I think those Vintage Ambassadors really get a nice round "vintage" tone out of "modern" drums. (And yes I consider the Tours to be modern drums!)!"

+1 for the Vintage Ambassadors - I have them on my Stage Custom toms now after 2 years with the stock heads and they are very warm and full sounding

Jonkadrummaster

Reaction score
What's up? New here, seems like a nice place to hang out! I don't have a picture as we speak but i play a 1990 Yamaha Power V (non-Special) kit, 12/13/16/22 with a new Stage Custom steel 14x6.5" snare. I'm only the second owner of the kit, the guy i bought it from bought it new and it's been extremely well cared for. It is in immaculate condition apart from a few scuffs on the bass drum hoops!

I replaced the snare wires with Puresound wires today and round a significant improvement in sensitivity, super pleased with this snare drum let me tell you...

I'll proudly play Yamaha drums for the rest of my life! :)

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
here's a set of power tour's , i bought in 1990. great sounding drums , especially the bass drum