Oh boy, I got another Tama

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a order in for the new version of the Starclassic Performer in Caramel Aurora last month. It is still on back order. I was going to get the Starclassic in Shamrock Oyster before I came across the Caramel Aurora which IMO was more attractive and priced lower.
My wife decided to buy a new Jeep rather then keep the near new one we already had so in my conniving way I immediately started in on what do I get since we’re wasting money on material things and it worked. Five piece Shamrock Oyster incoming Thursday or Friday. Haaaa

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know why it doesn’t allow me to indent paragraphs so I’m sorry it’s hard to read.

iruderman

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to tell you... I never owned a Tama in my 35 years of owning kits, until recently. I’ve had pretty much everything else.
I got a great deal on an 80’s Imperialstar a few short years ago and love it.
Last year, mid-pandemic/ work from home, I bought a Starclassic Walnut-Birch in Phantasm Oyster. I absolutely love this kit!!
im kicking myself that I didn’t try Tama earlier.
that Shamrock Oyster is gorgeous!

enjoy.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to tell you... I never owned a Tama in my 35 years of owning kits, until recently. I’ve had pretty much everything else.
Last year, mid-pandemic/ work from home, I bought a Starclassic Walnut-Birch in Phantasm Oyster. I absolutely love this kit!!

enjoy.
I used to have this blue ocean ripple that was the Birch Bubinga EE8962E4-590A-46DE-9B9E-BC060DB1EEEB.jpeg . I am curious to see how the Walnut Birch compares.

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score

enjoy.
I love that finish! What sizes did you get?

Mn02

Reaction score
Some iteration of a tama starclassic is on my list of kits I need to own one day. Looking forward to the pics.

phdamage

Reaction score
I have a Tama Starclassic birch ('95, MIJ, not performer series). I got for a steal off Craigslist some years ago. It looks like hell, but the bass drum kicks the s*** out of any other kick I've had in my studio - dw, C&C, ludwig, you name it! You can find them used for dirt cheap if you're patient.

Hemming and hawing about getting the same sizes in maple currently.

I also have an Artstar II and a Granstar custom I'm fond of.

WesChilton

Reaction score
My second ever drum kit was a huge Tama Rockstar kit from around 1982... 8, 10, 12, 13, 16, 18, 22
I don't think I ever gave that kit a fair shake as it came with absolutely awful cheapo white dot heads that I never changed (because I was broke!). I did peel the dots off on the batter heads eventually... Maybe if I had put Emperors or Coated Ambassadors on it I would have kept them... nah.
Look at me doing the left side floor tom thing in 1984! LOL!

I sold it for $600 to a Berklee classmate in 1988, bought a set of Yamaha Recording Customs and never looked back. At least I have pictures!

1614097863752.png
1614098137487.png

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My second ever drum kit was a huge Tama Rockstar kit from around 1982... 8, 10, 12, 13, 16, 18, 22
I don't think I ever gave that kit a fair shake as it came with absolutely awful cheapo white dot heads that I never changed (because I was broke!). I did peel the dots off on the batter heads eventually... Maybe if I had put Emperors or Coated Ambassadors on it I would have kept them... nah.
Look at me doing the left side floor tom thing in 1984! LOL!

I sold it for $600 to a Berklee classmate in 1988, bought a set of Yamaha Recording Customs and never looked back. At least I have pictures!

View attachment 486496 View attachment 486497
I bought a 18” Vistalite floor Tom used that had that head in it. I cut it up with a scissors so it didn’t find its way to another drum. Ever

Do you have a rat tail in the second pick or is the glare affecting how I’m seeing your hair?

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a order in for the new version of the Starclassic Performer in Caramel Aurora last month. It is still on back order. I was going to get the Starclassic in Shamrock Oyster before I came across the Caramel Aurora which IMO was more attractive and priced lower.
My wife decided to buy a new Jeep rather then keep the near new one we already had so in my conniving way I immediately started in on what do I get since we’re wasting money on material things and it worked. Five piece Shamrock Oyster incoming Thursday or Friday. Haaaa
I’d like to see pics of these colors ...

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

TomPotti

Reaction score
I used to have this blue ocean ripple that was the Birch Bubinga View attachment 486436 . I am curious to see how the Walnut Birch compares.
Thanks again for the kit! I have it set up with black holes and zildjian L80s at the moment. I like it better than my maples and bubingas!

Attachments