Oh, how BORING! A thread on Drum Thrones??? Now with POLL

What is your favorite drum throne? Please forgive notable exceptions.

• Total voters

Torquey

Reaction score
I know this has been done before, and I understand that it may be difficult to stay awake through this thread, but I am looking for opinions on drum thrones...:happy4:

Though generally a big fan of DW hardware, I have had problems with little parts breaking or loosening on my DW 9000 series throne, the 9120M. At perhaps only 185 pounds, on a kit that is never gigged, the throne is always loose and wobbly. No matter how much I tighten it near the base (and I have gotten new clamps for it too) it loosens up in one minute. The throne itself is comfortable, seems well built otherwise, but this problem persists. I even added a second clamp at the base to support the first one, with zero results. I am in love with DWs Air Lift snare stand, and while I am thinking of their Air Ride throne, I still am concerned about a constantly shifting center of gravity.

I am not a crazy metal drummer or do anything to have caused this problem. I would greatly appreciate commentary on the DW Air Ride throne, especially with the backrest, or any other throne that you have liked. Portability is NOT an issue, so weight or ease of folding up does not enter the picture.

Your commentary is GREATLY appreciated!

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Torquey

Reaction score
This looks nice! Thanks folks! Any more commentary out there? Thanks in advance!

Torquey

Reaction score
Have 2 retrofit Soundseat tops myself. Love them.

Regarding the retrofit tops, though they look great, the top seat of my DW I have no problem at all with. It's the threaded rod and clamp problem that is the real issue.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a really old, heavy medical exam stool only because it was available and I'm an opportunist and it looks kinda neat.

Otherwise I just use whatever, standard issue. I don't have back or posture issues or anything and according to my wife I don't have a butt so I don't need the extra padding like that so whatever works for me.

1616684383518.png

Torquey

Reaction score
I use a really old, heavy medical exam stool only because it was available and I'm an opportunist and it looks kinda neat.

Otherwise I just use whatever, standard issue. I don't have back or posture issues or anything and according to my wife I don't have a butt so I don't need the extra padding like that so whatever works for me.

View attachment 491503
I have seen a video where the guy swears by the rock solid stability of chairs like this. I imagine it is quite true, though I am thinking about a backrest. Hmmm...

boomstick

Reaction score
Though generally a big fan of DW hardware, I have had problems with little parts breaking or loosening on my DW 9000 series throne, the 9120M. At perhaps only 185 pounds, on a kit that is never gigged, the throne is always loose and wobbly. No matter how much I tighten it near the base it loosens up in one minute. The throne itself is comfortable, seems well built otherwise, but this problem persists.
I had the exact same experience with a 9000 series throne, so it's not just you. Had forgotten about it until I read your post.

Torquey

Reaction score
Tama first chair....with or without back rest. I sold my Roc n' Soc and kept the Tama.

Wow! And it seems that the Roc n' Soc was pulling ahead of even the Sound seat in the opinion polls. One for Tama...

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Soundseat for me
I had to get creative because the wooden bottom of the soundseat is contoured. Their hydraulic stand bases are huge and do not fold up so I put a retrofit top on a Roc_n-Soc
nitro base so I now have something I can break down. I also had to get creative mounting a backrest for the same reason. The contoured base
doesn't allow a regular bracket to sit flat so I had to make a shim to keep it flat. To me the saving grace with the soundseat is the contoured bottom.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soundseat for me
I had to get creative because the wooden bottom of the soundseat is contoured. Their hydraulic stand bases are huge and do not fold up so I put a retrofit top on a Roc_n-Soc
nitro base so I now have something I can break down. I also had to get creative mounting a backrest for the same reason. The contoured base
doesn't allow a regular bracket to sit flat so I had to make a shim to keep it flat. To me the saving grace with the soundseat is the contoured bottom.
I put a 1/4" aluminum plate under the Soundseat base and used longer screws to hold together. Have a pair of them now with backrest.

Soundseat Backrest.jpg