Oh, how BORING! A thread on Drum Thrones??? Now with POLL

What is your favorite drum throne? Please forgive notable exceptions.

• Total voters

Torquey

Reaction score
Still old skool canister thrones for me. Goes with my vintage vibe and approach to drummin' pursuits. Have used a variety of thrones over the years and have been blessed in not dealin' with back problems!!!

If it weren't for the height adjustment thing, it makes a lot of sense, especially for the gigging drummer.

Torquey

Reaction score
Once I showed up without my throne and used a piano bench instead. It was a revelation. So rock solid and comfy.
Otherwise I’m rocking the Roc-n-soc.
GEEZ!!! A revelation at twenty nine bucks and I'm seeing thrones approaching the price of entry to mid level kits, and even above that in one instance!! On top of that, I've seen a pic of an Adead stype split seat piano bench too!! o_O

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I've got the Gibraltar version of a Roc'n'Soc from the late 1990s, and I picked up a weird 4 legged Mapex throne a couple years ago. Both are motorcycle seat style. I've quit using the backrests on them, mostly to try and force myself to quit slouching.

I'm also fine with the little no-name generic round seat one that squeak while you play. I might buy a Griffin one soon for another kit.

Torquey

Reaction score
Roc-N-Soc Nitro with Carmichael seat.
Which is one of the things I was considering. Everyone has their own opinions but I was surprised about what this drummer / physical trainer says about the Air Ride and the Carmichael issues, I believe I am getting more rather than less confused... PLEASE WATCH THIS EVERYONE. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT HIS ASSERTIONS? YEA OR NAY?

Torquey

Reaction score
My top 3 choices are;
#3. Ford Drums
#2. Porter & Davies
#1. Soundseat!
So then, these are in reverse order in that you prefer the Soundseat the most? All hi end products. $uper $pecial, though before Porter and Davies I might buy something like a Craviotto snare! The Ford seats look incredible and the Soundseat, though looking like an office chair, always gets rave reviews. Thank you.

aindiparse

Reaction score
To me, the drum throne is THE most important piece of drum hardware. If you can't sit solidly and with confidence, you can't play solidly and with confidence. So, I'm really disappointed with the quality of drum thrones available. I've used Tama, Roc' n' Soc, Gibralter, Premier and Pearl, (and others that I can't remember the names of) and they have ALL let me down. The throne that I am using at the moment is by far the best I have used, and it's a hybrid. The seat, is a large Pearl with built in backrest. The four legged base broke two days out of warranty - there was a bubble in the cast metal adjustment. So the base I'm using with it is a three legged Roc' n' Soc (with one of the legs pointing straight back to take the leverage of the backrest). The Roc' n' Soc was okay, but the weird, welded, unbuttressed receiver under the seat bent over time. So, I'm not impressed with any of the store bought thrones that I've used. They all seem to be designed with planned obsolescence in mind.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Which is one of the things I was considering. Everyone has their own opinions but I was surprised about what this drummer / physical trainer says about the Air Ride and the Carmichael issues, I believe I am getting more rather than less confused... PLEASE WATCH THIS EVERYONE. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT HIS ASSERTIONS? YEA OR NAY?

He also follows up with some excellent advice in this video:

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the drum throne is one of the most important pieces of gear we own (and the hardest to want to spend money on!)

I’ve tried quite a few over the years, including a couple roc n soc models (including the nitro), and have always ended up back at Tama. I used a 4 legged Ergo rider for most of the last 20 years, and only recently started using the Tama hydraulic gas throne. I was nervous to try it because the roc n soc one is so cumbersome, and I found it bounced when I played. The Tama is perfect-uses a regular tripod base, I’ve found no creep from height I set it at, and just enough added cushion from the gas hydraulics (minus the uncontrolled bounce).

KingLudwig

Reaction score
So then, these are in reverse order in that you prefer the Soundseat the most? All hi end products. $uper $pecial, though before Porter and Davies I might buy something like a Craviotto snare! The Ford seats look incredible and the Soundseat, though looking like an office chair, always gets rave reviews. Thank you.

Hi Torquey,
The P&D I got as a Christmas present 2yrs ago. It doesn't leave the home studio. The Ford I've had over 12 yrs. It rocks! The soundseat I use all over, everywhere. My keyboardist liked it so much he bought one.

Torquey

Reaction score
To me, the drum throne is THE most important piece of drum hardware. If you can't sit solidly and with confidence, you can't play solidly and with confidence. So, I'm really disappointed with the quality of drum thrones available. I've used Tama, Roc' n' Soc, Gibralter, Premier and Pearl, (and others that I can't remember the names of) and they have ALL let me down. The throne that I am using at the moment is by far the best I have used, and it's a hybrid. The seat, is a large Pearl with built in backrest. The four legged base broke two days out of warranty - there was a bubble in the cast metal adjustment. So the base I'm using with it is a three legged Roc' n' Soc (with one of the legs pointing straight back to take the leverage of the backrest). The Roc' n' Soc was okay, but the weird, welded, unbuttressed receiver under the seat bent over time. So, I'm not impressed with any of the store bought thrones that I've used. They all seem to be designed with planned obsolescence in mind.
I completely agree, though I have never owned one of the truly hi end brands. I had a Tama 1st Chair which broke, though I don't recall how. I thought my DW 9000 series thrown was a hi end throne, as most of it is built like a tank and the seat itself is firm, sculpted, and supportive. However parts of the base and some of the parts that connect the seat to the base seem to be made out of some cheap pot metal as little bits have broken off so it wobbles quite a bit. Therefore, I can't even salvage the seat and get another base. Again, neither chair was gigged and I've never been much over 200 pounds at my biggest.

There has to be a better way and no way am I spending $1,400 on a throne... Thank you.

Torquey

Reaction score
Hi Torquey,
The P&D I got as a Christmas present 2yrs ago. It doesn't leave the home studio. The Ford I've had over 12 yrs. It rocks! The soundseat I use all over, everywhere. My keyboardist liked it so much he bought one.
Though I will not spring for a P & D, I love the way the Fords seem to be constructed. The SoundSeat is raved about, though they look a bit like office gear... Thanks again KingLudwig.

P.S.: Your name just reminded me! The 1974 Vintage Ludwig pancake throne I have, though not plush and a low end design, never broke even after decades! I got it together with my Vistalite kit!

Torquey

Reaction score
Hi Torquey,
One more thing King Ludwig, though I REALLY like the way the Ford thrones look to be built, I suppose the company is out of business (of course) since I cannot find them anywhere! :banghead:

Last edited:

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Roc n Soc, manual spindle. Just purchased my third one from Columbus Pro Percussion. I also have a Gibraltar Moto hydraulic, which is a good throne but I like the Roc n Soc a lot more, feels more solid to me.

Torquey

Reaction score
Roc n Soc, manual spindle. Just purchased my third one from Columbus Pro Percussion. I also have a Gibraltar Moto hydraulic, which is a good throne but I like the Roc n Soc a lot more, feels more solid to me.
Though I have not decided yet, this is perhaps where I am headed, but with a backrest.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The latest P&D seats are nice but I made my own for about half the price. Their older transducers would overheat and the thermistor would open, thereby making you wait a few minutes for it to work again. FWIW, unless its a sit-in I won't play out without my butt thumper. Roc-n-Soc is the best seat in the house. I have others that make me really appreciate the RnS. Oh, and funny tidbit...every drummer I know who owns a RnS has the backrest but doesnt use it, myself included. I would suggest you get the backrest tho and try it out.

Moonman

Reaction score
Used the Roc N Soc for 20 years. Have moved to the Ahead Spinal-G and love it.
Both great thrones, the Ahead is just my preference.
Fwiw, I haven't tried any other of the major brands so I'm not necessarily an expert on the topic.

Neilrush88

Reaction score
I've had the Tama first chair with back rest for 3 years, in general a top-notch throne and the best throne I've ever had.
Some details I could tell, for example in uneven floor like cement or earth, The throne tends to wobble and some case is very annoying, I think is for 4-legs. Also I have the old version and the seat lock tends to loose with the stand and the seat begin to wobble, seems that Tama solved that with the newer version. I'd like that the rest could get higher or a better setting.