Oh my! The things you can stumble across on YouTube....

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
OK - so I've never seen this. And only now, after having seen it, do I have any recollection doing it.

But this is obviously a bit of German TV featuring Klaus Doldinger's Passport doing a "lip-sync" promo of the single off the Oceanliner album - filmed sometime during my 13 month tenure with them circa 1979-1980. Never saw those drums before that day (and never saw them since) and really have no memory of the soap suds...

Thought I'd share it as a way to break away from endlessly discussing Buddy Rich, etc.... :)

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A tasty little slice of late 70s/early 80s coolness. Two really weird edits in there, flash frames of something I assume they wanted not to include?
So that's not you on the track?

Dan

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score
passport reminds me of college. i wore out a copy of cross collateral. that video is like an episode of ''sprokets'' with jim keltner on drums.

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Awesome tom sound, great playing. What was your rig on that?

Dan
Thanks - that album was recorded one week in the fall of '79. And was the result of what was probably the strangest "cold call" to play a session in my career.

Back in '77, I played the Montreux Jazz Festival with the Don Ellis band. Klaus Doldinger was there at the same time as part of some "Atlantic Records All Stars" segment (that Don took part in as well). Anyway Klaus caught up with me in the Artist's Bar after our set, introduced himself was very kind with compliments, etc.. I, of course, had some Passport albums, so was like "Wow, how cool was that?"

And that was the end of it.

Fast forward to '79 - and I get a call out of the blue from Passport's agent in America saying that Klaus would love to get in touch with me over the phone from Germany. As it turned out, he was prepping to do a new Passport LP and was kind of at a crossroads with his current drummer. Maybe time to make a change, blah blah blah. I wasn't really aware of that at the time - just that he wanted to know if I'd be interested in coming to Munich to do some recording with him. He had a studio at his house outside Munich and would fly me to Munich and put me up in a hotel nearby (where the rest of the band would be staying as well) and we'd see what we could get done. We agreed on a fee - and off I was to Munich.

At that time, Passport was being far less prog rock and much more - Weather Report meets LA Express meets the Brecker Bros - pretty much the center of my universe at that point. It was later I found out that the plan was to try me out for a week - and then finish the album at some later week of sessions either with me, or the current drummer, or someone else. As it turned out, things really clicked - all the way around. So we finished all of the basic tracks and I think most (or all) of the band overdubs in that first week.

So that was the Oceanliner LP - and as it turned out, I returned three times the next year - to tour and make a live album and another studio album.

OK - finally to your question... what was the rig? The toms and bass drum were the house drums at Klaus' studio. I'm pretty sure it was a Pearl set (as Passport had a deal with Pearl Germany) - 14x20 bass drum. And I'm pretty sure, I was able to put together from what he had, a set-up like my Blaemire Don Ellis setup - 4 concert toms... 8, 10, 12, 14 At least that's my recollection.

I'm pretty sure the snare would've been my Valley Drum Shop 6.5x14 blonde wood snare (that Ron and Rick Syde use to make and sell out of their shop). And the cymbals would've been mine as well. Most of which are still set up behind me right now - 20" '68 A ride, 20" swish, 14" New Beats and likely a 15" Zildjian crash (that a long time ago probably came to some horrible end). ;-)

All in all - a very cool experience.

bon viesta

Reaction score
woah so that’s you on both the track and video? very interesting drum set up, two normal toms and two concert toms set up like some kind of quadra-plus.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I vaguely remember that tune when I was a kid. I spent a bit of my youth in England, so some of the Euro stuff crept in.
Fun stuff!

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK - so I've never seen this. And only now, after having seen it, do I have any recollection doing it.

But this is obviously a bit of German TV featuring Klaus Doldinger's Passport doing a "lip-sync" promo of the single off the Oceanliner album - filmed sometime during my 13 month tenure with them circa 1979-1980. Never saw those drums before that day (and never saw them since) and really have no memory of the soap suds...

Thought I'd share it as a way to break away from endlessly discussing Buddy Rich, etc.... :)

Cool thanks for sharing this. The 70s....you carried on well all things considered. Loved the bubbles!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gotta' love German TV.... I mean what "uptown rhonda-vwah" isn't complete without a convertible top soap-bubble generator!

How cool is to find this stuff after so many years!!!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Wow! Concert toms and sudsy frauleins... I wouldn't mind those making a comeback. Can't say the same for the soprano sax blowing syruppy stuff all over the place though. ;-) thanks for posting David, you sure did have an interresting career.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow! Concert toms and sudsy frauleins... I wouldn't mind those making a comeback. Can't say the same for the soprano sax blowing syruppy stuff all over the place though. ;-) thanks for posting David, you sure did have an interresting career.
Yeah - but the syrupy soprano player was the leader. so there's always that. And to be fair, this was 1980 - five years before Kenny G started running this sound into the ground. At the time, we hadn't yet developed that probably permanent bad taste in our mouth for that sound with that groove.

Which isn't to say the whole thing doesn't just scream late 70's/early 80's - because it really does. :)

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Yeah - but the syrupy soprano player was the leader. so there's always that. And to be fair, this was 1980 - five years before Kenny G started running this sound into the ground. At the time, we hadn't yet developed that probably permanent bad taste in our mouth for that sound with that groove.

Which isn't to say the whole thing doesn't just scream late 70's/early 80's - because it really does. :)
Don't get me wrong, barring the pre-Kenny G solo, I loooove all the other elements of the late 70's/early aesthetics, arrangement and production. But yeah, I didn't realize the guy signed the checks. I thought he was taking a lot of place for a sideman. That said, I'm sure a few of the crappy sounding loops used on a few things I did in the mid-late 90's don't stand the test of time that much better. ;-)

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I think Kenny G songs would sound better on kazoo.