Ohio Drummer Chopper???

drumfunky

Reaction score
Anyone from Ohio know of a drummer from Cincinnati in the 70's named Chopper??? I was talking to my dad about great drummer that also sing. I brought up Levon Helm. My dad said he saw Chopper play and he was the best. Played like Garibaldi but singing at the same time. I believe his band was call Chopper too.
Info please. Thanks.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Look up Rick "Bam" Powell- he was known as the singing drummer from Cincy in the 70's. Still playing today it seems.

drumfunky

Reaction score
Look up Rick "Bam" Powell- he was known as the singing drummer from Cincy in the 70's. Still playing today it seems.
Thank you for the help. I don't think this is him. Chopper was a big, heavy guy. Super funky and sang while doing crazy syncopation.

Bob Blackwood

Reaction score
"Bam" Powell was one of the fine drummers in the Cincy phenom band, the Raisins. Had a great singing voice - strong bluesy, country, Delta style - and a bad ass shuffle. He and the band were idols of mine when I was much younger in the 80s in Cincinnati. The Raisins had tones of NRBQ, Jellyfish, and XTC, but were original in their own right. Good times and tunes, indeed! And Rick was a big part of that. Mike Hodges and Chris Arduser were the other two drummers in the Raisins - both fine drummers as well.

But, Bam wasn't Chopper.

drumfunky

Reaction score
"Bam" Powell was one of the fine drummers in the Cincy phenom band, the Raisins. Had a great singing voice - strong bluesy, country, Delta style - and a bad ass shuffle. He and the band were idols of mine when I was much younger in the 80s in Cincinnati. The Raisins had tones of NRBQ, Jellyfish, and XTC, but were original in their own right. Good times and tunes, indeed! And Rick was a big part of that. Mike Hodges and Chris Arduser were the other two drummers in the Raisins - both fine drummers as well.

But, Bam wasn't Chopper.
Thanks Bob. Great info. Still on the hunt.