oil on wire brushes

MrYikes

Reaction score
This is what I wiped off my new wire brushes that came from China. I think that might have turned my white heads ugly. These $4 brushes are nice though. Thick rubber handles are comfortable compared to my old skinny aluminum tubes and the gauge of wire seems finer, makes a nice sound.
I also received a set of bamboo brushes made with a collection of dowel rods. These are new to me and I like the volume between sticks and brushes.
I also received one nylon brush. Not a pair. one. The ebay ad uses plural words all through but ends with saying 1 piece. Tricky little dickens. So I ordered another,,,,one. It's $2 so no biggie.
Just wanted to give a heads up.

Attachments

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Paraffin based cycling chain oil . It dries without any residue . Or a quick squirt of Pledge furniture polish .

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just a guess. Maybe they oiled to seal the pores in metal, avoid rust.
That's what you get when you buy $4 brushes made by companies that don't know anything about what they are making; only that they're copying products made by a stick company that knows that you don't put oil on wire drum brushes.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just a guess. Maybe they oiled to seal the pores in metal, avoid rust.

I think you can pretty much expect anything made of steel from China to be coated with a thin, weird smelling oil. Definitely a rust preventative measure ..... I've seen it mostly on machine tool parts; that hardened steel seems particularly susceptible to oxidation.

Mike