Ok Guys Help Me Out on this Eclectic Snare

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of the Valley Drum Shop but did some research. It appears to have closed in the late 90's although the Richard still makes special order drums.
From my research many L.A. session guys used this maple snare. My question is what makes it any more special than other maple snares out there.
I believe he used Keller shells.

Any info would be appreciated

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would have hoped that someone out there in DFO land would have heard of these guys.
Supposedly they were big in the LA scene.
Is their maple shell really any better than what is out there today

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMO, there's nothing special about that drum, and every line of the description is either marketing fluff or an outright lie.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, there's nothing special about that drum, and every line of the description is either marketing fluff or an outright lie.
Please point out the lines that you know to be outright lies.

Glassman

Reaction score
Many other threads on here about Valley Drum Shop. As near as I can tell, they used a Jasper 8 ply shell. Early versions had Pearl hoops, throw/butt, and tension rods and long Slingerland lugs similar to what the Magnum series used. I have a couple, one of which was slightly modified. The sharp bearing edges were sanded down slightly. The other is about perfect.
BB6FFD1C-C1E6-4F08-AEEE-EB4B9F1757F8.jpeg

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Please point out the lines that you know to be outright lies.
The Drum Denny Seiwell sold for $1K was a different size with different hardware, while the description states that this was the same model.
The title implies that the drum was owned by Jeff Porcaro. It's clarified (mostly) in the description, but it's still a spammy way to list the product.

Glassman

Reaction score
Admittedly, yes, the ad is a little misleading and spammy. Porcaro did apparently own a similar snare to the one listed but it was a piccolo and was given to Walter Becker. It recently sold at auction along with a bunch of other items following Walter's passing. The connection to Seiwell is honestly just a reference to boost the value as the drum age and specs are not even close to the same. To say the drum is nothing special as is was not owned by anyone famous is valid. To say it is not special because it is just another custom snare, there are plenty of threads discussing their history and many positive reviews and discussions.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my 7x14 Valley Custom Snare Drum with my Ludwig Classic kit in 1990. It's a great snare drum that records very well at a variety of tunings. I think $395 is a fair price for the drum in the ad, providing that it's in good condition (which it looks to be).

I still have mine (it's been refinished, and around 30 years ago I swapped the original 1.6mm batter hoop for a 2.3mm). Yes, it came with those gargantuan Yamaha lugs.

IMG_0718_S.jpg

Reactions: JDA

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Admittedly, yes, the ad is a little misleading and spammy. Porcaro did apparently own a similar snare to the one listed but it was a piccolo and was given to Walter Becker. It recently sold at auction along with a bunch of other items following Walter's passing. The connection to Seiwell is honestly just a reference to boost the value as the drum age and specs are not even close to the same. To say the drum is nothing special as is was not owned by anyone famous is valid. To say it is not special because it is just another custom snare, there are plenty of threads discussing their history and many positive reviews and discussions.
This one?