Ok I'm thinking of buying a drum set for the grand kids

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are boys 14 and 7 and a girl 13. All have shown some interest in my drums when they come over. I am thinking an acoustic set as I dont have any knowledge w electronic drums. I know guitar center is running a nice sale on Ludwig Backbeats. Those have drums, cymbals, and throne at a price point I can handle. I know it isnt the greatest kit but would it be a better route than electronics? Id probably stake them to some lessons too so we can see what develops

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Do they have a good cool, dry spot away from the general traffic of the house to play? The loud noise can be irritating to the most patient parents, and if they eventually discourage the grandkids from playing, that can quickly stifle any potential interest. You want the kids to be able to play in comfort and secure in the knowledge their parents are ok with it.

And it’s important that the drums can be left set up. Having to take ‘em out and set ‘em up to play and then put ‘em away is like being a gigging drummer with no band and no pay.

Thinking like a drumming grandpa.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think the Back Beats are a great first kit. If it's in your ballpark get it for them if any of them show more interest in the years to come then go for something more expensive.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good point; CSR!

Although I am a Ludwig kind of guy for most of my life. However I haven't been around much to play or hear other brands. I did own a Gretsch Catalina Club set (Mahogany) for about a year; new they sell for about $700.00, I paid $375 for a nice used kit. 14x18 Bass drum, 8x12 tom, 14x14 floor tom and 5x14 snare, I was so impressed with the sound I started gigging with them rather than just a practice kit. A year later I was able to buy a new Ludwig CM kit so I sold the Gretsch kit for the same price I paid for them.

I don't know your price range but don't forget the used market.

sherm

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't like electronic drums - but that is exactly what you need in this case.

* They don't take up much space
* They don't make any noise
* The kids can play anytime they'd like
* E-drums have training tools onboard
* The kids can mix in their favorite songs and play along
* They can listen on headphones

You already know the headaches that an acoustic kit will cause the family.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
+1 for electronical drums. I got those for my kids knowing that their Mom wouldn't let them play an acoustic kit if i am not there.

donbseattle

Reaction score
potential to screw young ears up
potential to screw young ears up
Hello JDA. Two good looking guys in your avatar photo, or whatever that is called. I have a couple young students. Their parents opted to buy them electronic kits for the earphones no noise capability. Not very long after, Christmas comes or birthdays come and right away they get the kids real drums. I know it is subjective but I favor real drums!!!! Your name sounds familiar. Do you drive an AMC Gremlin Or an Opel?!?!

Reactions: JDA

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Get an acoustic kit you can easily unload without a loss (ie buy quality used). Best deal is a quality intermediate set, that comes with cymbals and hardware. That's readily achievable from $300-$600 via CL. There are constantly great deals popping up for sale if you're checking regularly and are the first to spot something. If you buy the right kit you can resell at it at no less than what you paid. Figure on a $30 set of drum mutes for those times you need to keep the noise down.

Yamaha Stage customs from the 1980's to date are good value and often found very reasonable. My nephew received a 1999 Stage Custom for Christmas 2 yrs ago - beautiful lacquer drums, full Yamaha/Tama hardware, and a set of A/K Zildjians....all for $450. That kit had been sitting on CL for 2 months with little interest. The seller told me the ONLY offer he got before us was $150! The early 1990's 16" K dark crash cymbal in mint condition was worth more than that. Lots of good value in kits out there built in the 1980's and 1990's....especially Yamaha and Tama. Only buy a fully complete kit with everything....that's nearly always the best deal.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Electronic is the way to go for all the reasons GeeDeeEmm gave....PLUS, they are ten times more likely to practice on them; that is a fact! Even if they live out in the woods, they will be less self conscious and will put in more time when they don't feel like they are being heard, (and judged), by someone else.

This is one of the first questions that I am asked by the parents of my beginner students, and that is my answer. My students with E-kits progress faster and, as we all know, it is only practice that will get you there.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I don't like electronic drums - but that is exactly what you need in this case.

* They don't take up much space
* They don't make any noise
* The kids can play anytime they'd like
* E-drums have training tools onboard
* The kids can mix in their favorite songs and play along
* They can listen on headphones

You already know the headaches that an acoustic kit will cause the family.
Another plus for e-drums is if they are younger (aka smaller) an e-kit can be made smaller for them so they can sit properly and have everything at a comfortable reach and propper playing angles.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello Tiger..............
I have a set of Ludwig Epics for sale right now over on the Drums For Sale Page.
Thread title is Pro Sound for Half the Money"...........check it out.

"
facebook_129182281.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool Grandpa! But, I think you spring for one of those $100 Craigslist "Remo drums with symbols"......this way, if the parents say "grandMA accidentally donate them to the Salvation Army" (the excuse I was told back in the day!), it's a small loss for you.

Like I tell my dudes (7 & 11), if you are serious, play my drums every day and then we will see......older one is a guitarist but the little guy is Animal Jr.......

Latest posts