OK my Tama Brothern... What Did I Just Buy???

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Fat Drummer,

Super sweet kit!
...but dude, join the 80's and trim that bass to 16"....then please give me your copper sparkle Gretsch kit....please...…..please?...:sad:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Im sorry but cutting down a perfectly good drum seems silly to me. Why not buy a a14x20 if thats what you want?
I here what you are saying but besides the reasons already discussed throughout the thread... I really liked this kit , got it at a good price but it was never offered in my preferred kick size. 16" and 18" were the only depths this model was offered with. Besides I enjoy still dabbling in drum work from time to time.

m_anderson

Reaction score
Im sorry but cutting down a perfectly good drum seems silly to me. Why not buy a a14x20 if thats what you want?
I'm with you on this 100%. I just don't understand chopping up great original drum kits. 14x20 bass drums can be found everywhere.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's all good, I like custom kits and snares (and while most people say they do as well, they would never actually own one for themselves), resto-mods and full restoration and modified drums so it's a project right up my alley. I prefer hot rodded kits to stock, I like the individualism of it all.

I looked at dozens of kits for several months and made many many reasonable offers on kits with 14X20" kicks, but in every case the current owner wanted to keep it more than I wanted to pay for the privilege of owning it. I could have purchased several kits here on the Forum that were in my price range as well, like Dunnerb's 1950's Gretsch kit. It's the sizes I wanted and priced very nicely... but if you guys have a problem with me cutting down a mid level, mass produced 13 year old kick drum, imagine the howl you all would have made over what I would have done to that kit to make it "mine"!

I decide to let those types of kits go to people that are good, responsible caretakers of our instruments, that is not me... I'm a customizer! But I do take it that if and when I decide to ever sell the kit, you and Multijd will not be interested in buying it! LOL! Truly, it's OK with me, this is what I enjoy about our drumming passion, no two people are alike and I prefer it that way.

Ward

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I WILL be keeping the 10".
Good. you can experiment flipping . 12/10. Yeah it's fun.
Also your airhole and badge will be taken when you cut- whats your choice there/
And the shell that gets cut- can you make a shallow Gong drum from it . ( Lol

but I think it's all going to turn out well.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
14x20 bass drums can be found everywhere.
not in this series ..he's doing the right thing if everything goes well and we'll be rooting for ya

(I think I'd leave the badge on the narrow..and just install (.. a grommet/ airhole. i dunno..

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice call on all of the above, FD. I'm excited to see how that bass come out. When do you think it will be complete?

Just curious, what needs does this set meet that those sweet Slingies do not?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good. you can experiment flipping . 12/10. Yeah it's fun.
Also your airhole and badge will be taken when you cut- whats your choice there/
And the shell that gets cut- can you make a shallow Gong drum from it . ( Lol

but I think it's all going to turn out well.

I will remove the badge and grommet and reinstall them further back on the shorter shell. I don't know the exact length I will go with. I had planned on a standard 14X20" but I might go 15X20" just as a nod to the Accel tom size of 9X12" but that is as deep as I would go. My Punkinater kit has a 15X20" and I really enjoy that size. Were the tom a standard 8X12 (my preference) I would most defiantly go 14" on the kick and keep everything traditional. But I might go 15" and keep it consistent in this case.

And before anyone ask, I am not planning on cutting the tom down (though I would have had the holes worked out!). Hum... welll...maybe... LOL!

Reactions: JDA

dsop

Reaction score
I WILL BE MODIFYING the kit before I start using it
Why? Why would you buy something, knowing full well that it's not really what you want? If you want something custom, why not just order what you want? It's one thing to modify something you've played for a while and your tastes have changed, but... I find this weird.
:icon_e_confused:

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why? Why would you buy something, knowing full well that it's not really what you want? If you want something custom, why not just order what you want? It's one thing to modify something you've played for a while and your tastes have changed, but... I find this weird.
A custom made bass drum by any custom builder will probably cost more than he paid for the whole set.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And thank you for your support! LOL!

Read my original post.... Rich K nailed it... my first plan was to have INDe build a 20" for my shell pack... it cost almost as much as my whole INDe kit. I'm happy with my decission for many reasons, but thank you for your interest in my projects and the time to question my choices.

Signed "Wierd in Tennessee"

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A custom made bass drum by any custom builder will probably cost more than he paid for the whole set.
Bingo! I bought my whole INDe kit for not much more than a new 20" kick would have cost. I bought the Tama' s for LESS than a new 20" INDe kick and that includes the shipping!

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Beautiful kit in a finish that I REALLY like!
That color, and the sparkle... Just gorgeous!!! :love4: I'm all for the decision to cut the bass drum down too. People buy specific cars in perfectly good condition all the time with the intention of cutting them up, customizing them, and turning them into just what they had pictured in their head. My father was that way. Had to customize literally everything he ever owned. Bought a brand new motorcycle off the showroom floor and immediately began sanding down the flawless, glossy, wine red paint job to repaint it matte black, and scuffing up the chrome to give it a brushed aluminum look. I remember helping him... Turned out awesome, but everyone called him crazy at the time lol.

I can totally understand the whole 100% original, factory correct viewpoint as well though. I think that's really cool in it's own way too, but not every example of everything needs to be kept that way. Especially if there are plenty of other factory original examples of the said item still out there.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more on this project in the future though. I'd love to see you document process of modifying the bass drum! Anyways, after putting your personal touch on them I hope you end up with a kit you really love!

Last edited:

dsart64

Reaction score
I think the mods are perfectly appropriate because I know your background as a builder and restoration work so I know the quality will be top notch. I would most definitely have trepidation about doing that if it were my kit, but let’s face it, I’d just call you as I have many times before. I can’t wait to see and hear the finished product!

Latest posts