OK, tell me why I need a Yamaha EAD10

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
My drum shop just got some in.

As a gigging drummer who mics occasionally, let me know how this works.

RickP, chime in please!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm sure that RickP will chime in, but from everything I am reading...it's a game changer. So cool that even I will get one!

R

RickP

Hi Senior,
I have bought one after being able to test it it at the Yamaha 50th Anniversary event. The unit consists of a trigger/ Microphone that clamps to your bass drum hoop and a brain/ controller. You can use this with other Mics for rehearsing or gigging or just on its own. The trigger microphone has the ability to pick up the sound of the entire kit. You can run the EAD 10 through the PA and select different scenes ( sound types)and you can adjust reverb, effects, click track and even record with the unit. When you think the EAD 10 costs about the same as two decent microphones it is an excellent deal.

Here are two excellent review videos of the EAD 10

Last edited by a moderator:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
^^^Seriously, watch his demo that RickP was so kind to link...this is a game changer!^^^^

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
So it triggers the bass drum and then the mic also picks up all the drums? Pretty nice idea for quick set ups for instances where I'm running sound and micing my kit.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
robthetimekeeper said:
I wonder if it has a gated reverb setting?
If you watched the video, you would know the answer to this question! I'll give it to you.. Yes! :)
It will blow your mind. Watch the video! Yes, I know... I resisted too, until RickP, who is the most open minded, pure hearted human being I know, texted me the information and told me that I just had to check this out. Believe me, this is a total game changer. It isn't a toy...it will allow those of us tone junkies obsessed with drum sounds to get those sounds on albums, simply at the tips of your fingers. You can literally gig without any additional drum mics other than the bass drum pickup which attaches to the bass drum hoop on top or you can mix this in with your close mic'd drums. I will be ordering one right after the new year.
'

R

RickP

robthetimekeeper said:
I wonder if it has a gated reverb setting?
It does have a gated reverb setting. I was curious about that as well.

Blueshadow (Chris) you are correct - you attach the trigger/ mic unit to your bass drum hoop, then connect two cables ( provided) from the trigger to the EAD Module (brain) . You would need to purchase two patch cords to connect to the PA system and the. You are ready to start using it.

Yamaha has a cool App called Rec N Share that works separate from the EAD or with it. You can download a song into the App and it will automatically calculate the click sound so you can hear the click when playing long to the song. It will also allow you to record into the App using the EAD as well.

The brain can be attached to a cymbal or hihat stand using a multi clamp . I prefer the hihat as it keeps the EAD brain close for adjustments or changes.

It is a very cool and useful device for Drummers to add new sounds without a large expense. It also allows Drummers that dont currently have a set of mics to mic their drums easily and quickly for a lot less than a set of good mics would cost.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
DanRH said:
My drum shop just got some in.

As a gigging drummer who mics occasionally, let me know how this works.

RickP, chime in please!
Do you own and setup your own mics? I would think this would take a little less space during transport and a little less setup and breakdown time for shows. Is that worth $500? Thats the ultimate question.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
RickP - Does the EAD have the capability of making a small (16" or 18") bass drum sound huge? I'm thinking this might be a great addition to a compact kit for gigging.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been looking at the EAD since it was first announced but am not (yet) convinced I really need one. I don't need it for live situations and I don't care about making YouTube videos of myself playing. Turning my drums into an e-kit and changing sounds (scenes) would be a novelty for a while but that's not of much interest to me either. Those things are a lot of what the EAD does apparently.

So that leaves using it for practicing along to demos and recorded songs (on Spotify for me), which does seem kinda useful, presumably being able to hear myself better and more clearly in the mix with the recorded tunes. Although I worry about getting overly used to a clean mic'd sound from practicing with it all the time. Maybe it would save my ears a bit because I could practice with the headphone volume lower...

Anyway, intriguing device but at a price point that's so far made me hesitate. I'd love to hear comments from someone who uses it mostly for practicing.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I watched the You Tube videos and was blown away. I just ordered one from my local drum shop.

The bane of my existence is miking my kit for outdoor gigs. Why? Because my band's PA is far too small to shove a drum sound through, so I actually bring mics, cords, stands, a mixer......and my own powered speakers. Messing with all that stuff adds an hour to my setup time and makes load out nightmarish, as well.

Lots of that will be going away with this....and for the price of what you would probably pay for a set of top quality mics for your whole setup.

Is it like close miking? No. Nothing is. But, this can do so much more than even a sound man can do. I may do a gig with an 80's band, and I plan on using a bunch of those presets. Bryan Adams's drum sound is not like A-Ha's drum sound is not like Duran Duran's drum sound.

It will be a while before I get it. I am also hoping to move down a size to 20" for my bass drums. Even more win!!!

I always was jealous of guitar players who could use effects and just switch sounds on the fly. No more!

I wonder if a muffled kit would enable me to "quiet practice" using phones? Hmmmm.

This setup could easily be used for a dozen things. Rough demos, setups in smaller places. I am so there.

Dan

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
Usually our guitar player is our soundman and I think he would be open to this. The question is... when we play a venue with a soundman... would he/she be open to plugging this into his board?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
& You Dont Stop said:
Usually our guitar player is our soundman and I think he would be open to this. The question is... when we play a venue with a soundman... would he/she be open to plugging this into his board?
Most that I deal with are always open to try something, they would probably still mic your kit and then mix this in along with the mics.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
My only question is how this will work in a loud stage volume band and whether the unit will feedback in such a loud situation. At any rate, I'm buying one. This is a game changer for anyone playing lots of different types of music, especially pop where you might need a different sounding kit on every song or playing novelty songs and needing deferent sounding kits.

buckwheat

Reaction score
One question, and it might have been answered in the video. with the trigger on the BD can you set up separate sounds for each drum or if say you have echo on the snare will the bass and toms automatically get echo? I think I would like to maybe put some effects on the snare and leave the rest of the set natural or different combos. you get the idea. If its all or none that might be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks, Dave

R

RickP

cochlea said:
RickP - Does the EAD have the capability of making a small (16" or 18") bass drum sound huge? I'm thinking this might be a great addition to a compact kit for gigging.
It does, I plan to use this with my INDe Bop kit with an 18 bass drum for some of my gigs.