Ok, Uber Rare Duplex BOP Kit!

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As my name suggests, I gotta “thing” for Duplex drums! Well, scored this baby locally-ish and man o man! When I get them refurbished, they’re going to be super cool. In all my years of owning and refurbishing Duplex kits I’ve only seen a picture of one of these once! Now I own a Spirit Of St Louis kit in BOP-ish sizes. Dating is tricky. It’s either pre-WW2 or some rareity post-war kit. All my research so far would lead me to believe pre-war, but the kick size 18”, is odd for the era. Ive never seen a SOSTL drum in 18”. I’ve seem marchers almost the size if the FT. Looking forward to this project! If you have any pics of anything like it, please post!!! This will be a recover! I’ll post progress!
1F668CE3-57B4-4E3F-A945-608D690A2D3A.png

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy moly! That is some Buck Rogers retro-futuristic kit right there. Congrats! Can't wait to see the restoration.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
xcall me crazy I see some Gretsch in there....

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are these drums similar in construction to the Peavey Radial kits from a few years back?

Mike
Well…actually….the Peaveys are like the Duplex….sorta. These are all “aircraft aluminum”. Radial pros were similar and the both have SUPER thin shells. Very unique design, but totally solid from an acoustic perspective and in construction. Very ahead of their time and I can’t wait to hear them all tuned up and really playable.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow , I had no idea these were aluminum.
Very cool design , it’s a wonder they didn’t sell better ..

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow , I had no idea these were aluminum.
Very cool design , it’s a wonder they didn’t sell better ..
They claimed they were the only pearl covered metal drum. At the time 1930’s, they were well known and were what made Duplex well known. Duplex had sales all over the US and in 6 countries. Not bad for a very small drum manufacturer. But when metal rationing hit US manufacturers in ‘41, that pretty much shut Duplex down. It’s hard to find information about them after the late ‘30’s.

Last edited:

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, Duplex Tim -

Are these fascinating drums single-tensioned? It kinda looks that way with the rods running top-to-bottom in the pix ........

Mike

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, Duplex Tim -

Are these fascinating drums single-tensioned? It kinda looks that way with the rods running top-to-bottom in the pix ........

Mike
No, they are double tension (Duplex was actually the first drum maker to patent double tension drums in the late 1800’s, one of their claims to fame). The aluminum tubes are for structure because the shells are super thin “aircraft aluminum”.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have to ask - why recover? To me, the mottling makes them look incredible and unique! Especially since they are such rare drums.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd consider polish, satin (brushed), anodize, powder coat ..... in no particular order ...... before I laid another plastic wrap on those thin aluminum shells ........ !!

Mike

PS: think Oriollo for inspiration!

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd consider polish, satin (brushed), anodize, powder coat ..... in no particular order ...... before I laid another plastic wrap on those thin aluminum shells ........ !!

Mike

PS: think Oriollo for inspiration!
Yeah…tempting…but I’d like to keep them in somewhat restored condition. But I do like OrIloilo and Inde kinda aluminum drums.