Ok, Uber Rare Duplex BOP Kit!

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As everyone says, it's only original once. It's a unique piece of drum history, and I bet you would pay a lot for a patina like that on an A&F drum!

SKSMITH

Reaction score
As my name suggests, I gotta “thing” for Duplex drums! Well, scored this baby locally-ish and man o man! When I get them refurbished, they’re going to be super cool. In all my years of owning and refurbishing Duplex kits I’ve only seen a picture of one of these once! Now I own a Spirit Of St Louis kit in BOP-ish sizes. Dating is tricky. It’s either pre-WW2 or some rareity post-war kit. All my research so far would lead me to believe pre-war, but the kick size 18”, is odd for the era. Ive never seen a SOSTL drum in 18”. I’ve seem marchers almost the size if the FT. Looking forward to this project! If you have any pics of anything like it, please post!!! This will be a recover! I’ll post progress! View attachment 504131
That's my uncle's set! Where did you find it? You can search my posts, I don't post a lot, and you will find the story!!
Here's a link: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/w...art-to-seek-vintage-drums.169161/post-1879255
Here's another:
I had to sell that in winter of 1992 to pay rent when I was laid off.
PM me, please!!

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Holy cow this getting interesting!
DuplexTim is fairly close to me, so I'm 99.9% positive that these are the same drums. Picture isn't the greatest, but they should be gold glass glitter.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DuplexTim is fairly close to me, so I'm 99.9% positive that these are the same drums. Picture isn't the greatest, but they should be gold glass glitter.
Odds are pretty stinkin' good with an 18" bass drum! This is crazy. In a really good way

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's my uncle's set! Where did you find it? You can search my posts, I don't post a lot, and you will find the story!!
Here's a link: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/w...art-to-seek-vintage-drums.169161/post-1879255
Here's another:
I had to sell that in winter of 1992 to pay rent when I was laid off.
PM me, please!!
Pm sent

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"what if any was the outcome of this deal/ reunion etc?>>!

DuplexTim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve been super busy and progress has been excruciatingly slow. I’m calling this a “Refurberation” which is a cross between refurbished and restoration. New Glass Glitter from Precision. New tension rods. Aluminum has been cleaned and polished and waxed. Today I finally got the grommets for the vent (I forgot to order…doh! Thought I had some…but they were brass instead of steel). Anyway… finished the 13” and rough tuned it. It likes a higher tension and has a nice tone. Look forward to finishing the rest of the kit. LOTS of rust on the steel parts. and man… neglect is a sad thing on vintage instruments. But, it looks nice and sounds great. The design is seriously ahead of its time and for a 1940’s kit… it’s totally futuristic and unique. Uber rare! Honored to be the steward of such a unique piece of history! Last pic is the “before “! More to come!

Attachments