Ok who still plays the song Wipe Out.

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
If there ever was a drummers tune this is it. Back in the day I used to warm up with this song. I play it in my fathers memory now. But run thru only three times this old body cant do it full time any more. He used like me play it for him . Drum on.

spazapproved

Reaction score
EVERYTIME I play a bar gig with my dad he makes me play that damn song... drives me nuts.
I always say, whipeout is the freebird of drumming.

clinker555

Reaction score
Played this song on my snare drum to convince my folks that I could play drums back in 1966 when I was 11. Needed their help to get a full drum set. They helped me.

Later on down the road at a Moose gig, had a lodge fellow, who was really drunk and said he wanted to impress his girlfriend???? threaten to whip my a$$ when I told him I wasn't good enough to play it. The bass player, who was 6'5" and 240lbs, stepped in and assured him "up close" that I could do it, but the rest of the band couldn't.

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
Played this song on my snare drum to convince my folks that I could play drums back in 1966 when I was 11. Needed their help to get a full drum set. They helped me.

Later on down the road at a Moose gig, had a lodge fellow, who was really drunk and said he wanted to impress his girlfriend???? threaten to whip my a$$ when I told him I wasn't good enough to play it. The bass player, who was 6'5" and 240lbs, stepped in and assured him "up close" that I could do it, but the rest of the band couldn't.
Yes about the same time my self. I used to play on potato chip cans drove my parents nuts. So they bought a set for me and stuck in the cellar. My middle brother and I played the heck out of that kit. To this day looking at old picks I think it was a Camco set.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Mom made me learn it for a 50's party back when I was in 5th grade. Good lord. I hated it then, and I hate it now.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play it at every gig with the oldies band I play with. It's not my favorite drum solo but the crowd does like it.

I play the 1st section like the recorded version then I tend to ad-lib each other solo section but still keeping the solo mostly to the toms.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
That was my first gig onstage performance as a guest drummer Henrietta NY town park I was 10 haven’t played it since. That was 52 yrs ago!

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
I hated the song when it first came out. I grew to hate it more and more as years went by. I always knew the extent of my drumming abilities. And, soloing was not part of my talents. In 20 plus years, I was a member of one band and a founding member of two other bands. Those bands knew that I would not solo other than a couple bars of intro or longer fills. All requests for Wipeout were met with me diplomatically telling the person who asked that I do not play that song----EVER. I always considered myself to be a rhythm section player--not a lead player. I was always very comfortable playing as part of an ensemble--not alone.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was in a wedding band in the 80's and we used to get requests for it all the time. My stock answer was to say "Wow, great tune, but sorry we can't play it cuz we don't know the words." About half the time the requester would walk away with a puzzled look on their face. Of course, we would usually play it anyway.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Played it in my basement as a kid. But live, in front of people? No way.
Firstly, the bands I was in would never play it, and second, I couldn't really handle it - my hand speed was just not high enough...

A classic:

Last edited:

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm in a "surf" band...we do "BATWIPE". It starts out with "BATMAN" and then goes into two parts of "WIPEOUT", then ends with more "BATMAN". I get to play the 'solo' portion twice. I do it once on the snare and once on the floor tom.

I'll step out on a limb and say that I'm willing to bet MOST drummers play it incorrectly. And by incorrectly I mean you don't play it the way it was written, by the Surfaris. I knew them [met them in the 1980's], and I was friends with the drummer Ron Wilson. It was the horn player Jim Pash who taught me the correct accents. So I play it the way it was written when I'm playing the solo part. But I'll admit I played it wrong for a lot of years when I started out.

Stretch

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes-sir-ree! My 10 y.o.'s acoustic guitar group loves to play Wipeout and Pipeline, as well as a bunch of other songs. Pretty much every gig we have, we do play both (our only surf tunes!). Since I've became the "house drummer" last June, I have since convinced the head teachers to allow me to do the drum intro so it's a lot of fun for me and them, and gets the crowd going, too!!!!

As for playing it right or wrong, I don't know. I just accent where it sounds right to me and make sure I start on the head teacher's count for tempo. I do it on FT and accent the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, the and between 7/8, and the 8 (I don't know how to count....sorry!), and play it twice. On the 2nd round, I add snare/FT 1/8 notes before the guitars kick in.......during the song, I then do a measure on the upper tom and segue into the chorus again - nobody has complained so far. It is not full speed as the original version, but it is still a fast pace for the kids.....

In fact, for NYE, a drunk reveler said I should get business cards made that say I can play Wipeout!!!

I wish they did a surf medley - that would be cool! But I am quite content as is!

Last edited:

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes-sir-ree! My 10 y.o.'s acoustic guitar group loves to play Wipeout and Pipeline, as well as a bunch of other songs. Pretty much every gig we have, we do play both (our only surf tunes!). Since I've became the "house drummer" last June, I have since convinced the head teachers to allow me to do the drum intro so it's a lot of fun for me and them, and gets the crowd going, too!!!!

As for playing it right or wrong, I don't know. I just accent where it sounds right to me and make sure I start on the head teacher's count for tempo. I do it on FT and accent the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, the and between 7/8, and the 8 (I don't know how to count....sorry!), and play it twice. On the 2nd round, I add snare/FT 1/8 notes before the guitars kick in.......during the song, I then do a measure on the upper tom and segue into the chorus again - nobody has complained so far. It is not full speed as the original version, but it is still a fast pace for the kids.....

In fact, for NYE, a drunk reveler said I should get business cards made that say I can play Wipeout!!!

I wish they did a surf medley - that would be cool! But I am quite content as is!

Ron Wilson was in marching band, so when he co-wrote "Wipeout" while in the studio [it was the B-side to "SURFER JOE"] he used a cadence that he had learned in marching band. (If I get the chance I'll post where the accents are. It's not hard. Just tricky to remember.)

Stretch

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
I'm in a "surf" band...we do "BATWIPE". It starts out with "BATMAN" and then goes into two parts of "WIPEOUT", then ends with more "BATMAN". I get to play the 'solo' portion twice. I do it once on the snare and once on the floor tom.

I'll step out on a limb and say that I'm willing to bet MOST drummers play it incorrectly. And by incorrectly I mean you don't play it the way it was written, by the Surfaris. I knew them [met them in the 1980's], and I was friends with the drummer Ron Wilson. It was the horn player Jim Pash who taught me the correct accents. So I play it the way it was written when I'm playing the solo part. But I'll admit I played it wrong for a lot of years when I started out.

Stretch
Stretch. I do pretty close can not do the full version witch is over 3:00 minutes. This old body says what the He>> are you doing. So only run it thru 3 times good enough. I start on the 12 or 13 and end up on the floor. Be happy drum on.