Ok who still plays the song Wipe Out.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve played it for 22 years now(in same band)tired of playing it. We start with California Sun into Let’s Dance, into Wipe Out. On the 2nd ‘go round’ the bass player stands on his bass like surfing and combing his hair. 3rd ‘go round’ he takes a solo. Of course more exciting than drum part. Always a crowd pleaser but I cringe when we start it.

There was a shirt that had Wipe Out printed on it inside a red circle w/a red line through it as in ‘no wipe out!’ Thought that was a gooder.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm in a "surf" band...we do "BATWIPE". It starts out with "BATMAN" and then goes into two parts of "WIPEOUT", then ends with more "BATMAN". I get to play the 'solo' portion twice. I do it once on the snare and once on the floor tom.

I'll step out on a limb and say that I'm willing to bet MOST drummers play it incorrectly. And by incorrectly I mean you don't play it the way it was written, by the Surfaris. I knew them [met them in the 1980's], and I was friends with the drummer Ron Wilson. It was the horn player Jim Pash who taught me the correct accents. So I play it the way it was written when I'm playing the solo part. But I'll admit I played it wrong for a lot of years when I started out.

Stretch
We do a similar medley with Wooly Bully / Wipe out / Batman...the crowd loves it and it keeps them on the dance floor. I would not recommend playing it drunk 'cause if you screw it up you may become the drummer who 'can't even play Wipe Out'!

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This song has been haunting me since I picked up the sticks for the first time in the summer of '86! I can (and have) played it just fine for decades, but I find it embarassing personally, no matter how "perfectly" it is played. Kinda like asking a pianist to play Chopsticks imho. Nowadays I try to avoid it at all costs...

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wipe Out is just an everlasting thing that has popped up here and there since I started playing (back when it was pretty new). :) Pretty obligatory for wedding bands, etc.. but also for recording or shows, where folks may not actually be doing Wipe Out but are referencing it/doing something very similar.

Anyway it hadn't really reared its head for quite until a couple of years ago - when an arrangement of it showed up to recorded as part of that year's Disney On Ice show. Which marked the first time I ever got to record t for real - or sort of real (making it bigger and more intense was part of the task as well - so there was some layering and doubling happening). And then as is so often the case, in the final cut of show, the two plus minute arrangement got whittled down to a scant 16 bars. Lots of notes recorded for naught (except getting paid, of course) :) Anyway like I said, very much par for the course - there is always quite a bit of music that gets recorded that doesn't make it into the finished show.

Though the version of "3 Little Fishes" that starts around 4:45 seemed to survive intact. (Wipe Out starts in the first 30 seconds or so)

Sorry - horrible sound - a fan video recording from the audience...

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve played it for 22 years now(in same band)tired of playing it. We start with California Sun into Let’s Dance, into Wipe Out. On the 2nd ‘go round’ the bass player stands on his bass like surfing and combing his hair. 3rd ‘go round’ he takes a solo. Of course more exciting than drum part. Always a crowd pleaser but I cringe when we start it.

There was a shirt that had Wipe Out printed on it inside a red circle w/a red line through it as in ‘no wipe out!’ Thought that was a gooder.
HaHa!! LOVE that idea!!!