Old A. Zildjian 16" Hi Hats?

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I picked these up the other day at my local drum store. Not really sure what I got myself into....

Bottom cymbal - 1864 grams - 60's stamp
Top cymbal - 1534 grams - Late 50's small stamp?

They look like they lived their lives together and they sound good as a set of hats. Any input from the experts around here?

Attachments

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
My best guess is a pr of marchers. The close and heavy weights would suggest that. I can see the wear pattern on the outer edges that suggest either orchestral crashes or hats I lean toward the orchestral because of the weights those being a little heavy for hats from 50-60 era

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i have a pair of 16' AA sabian hats. marching bottom, medium crash top. sound like the best set of new beats ever.

do they sound good? if so, discussion is over. go play.

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i have a pair of 16' AA sabian hats. marching bottom, medium crash top. sound like the best set of new beats ever.

do they sound good? if so, discussion is over. go play.
Yeah! They sound good to me. I am planning to play them as part of my regular rotation. I picked them up for $89 and I was mainly curious about what everyone thought the origin story might be for them.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 16" Zildjian that came with a set of used Rogers bought for me in 1977. I have had that cymbal since then, but unfortunately it was cracked some time back.

I recently repaired the crack and picked up a K Zildjian 16" medium crash to try as a "top" for that old A.

So I am pairing an IAK 16" K dark medium crash at 1245 grams with a 50s 16" A at 1630 grams. I think they work well. Hoping to get a chance to record them and put up a sample soon.

Anyway...here is the stamp from my 16", perfect match to your stamp...

Zildjian-16.JPG

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I have a 16" Zildjian that came with a set of used Rogers bought for me in 1977. I have had that cymbal since then, but unfortunately it was cracked some time back.

I recently repaired the crack and picked up a K Zildjian 16" medium crash to try as a "top" for that old A.

So I am pairing an IAK 16" K dark medium crash at 1245 grams with a 50s 16" A at 1630 grams. I think they work well. Hoping to get a chance to record them and put up a sample soon.

Anyway...here is the stamp from my 16", perfect match to your stamp...

View attachment 406364
Nearly perfect match. Yours looks to be an Samll Stamp version A (SSA) and the other one is the later SSB. Details here:

Picking up the difference visually is accurate (partially missing top of the Ottoman = SS version A, full top of the Ottoman = SS version B but measuring the width of the ZILDJIAN Co is the more accurate gold standard.

And yes to JPTrickster's comment on Marching or Band cymbals in terms of weight. The Glossary from the 1963 catalog explains how Band cymbals are different and you need to combine the weight class (Medium) with whether a cymbal is designated Band or Dance.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 9.01.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 9.02.03 AM.png

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The no 3 dot stamp was easy to see as a 50's. The one with 3 dots is more subtle. But in both cases the word "AVEDIS" is centered between the script and the word "ZILDJIAN." You only see that in the 1950's stamps. These would make some pretty powerful hi hats at those weights....basically the weights of 18" drum kit cymbals. Good deal though for $89. And either of those would make a good new beat style bottom hat paired with a lighter 16" top. A 1000-1200 / 1534 combo would be pretty cool. And easy to find those light 16" crashes. In this case finding heavy vintage 16's like you have is rather difficult in comparison.