Old CB700 Internationale Double Bass set

TheDumbDrummer

Reaction score
I have a CB700 double bass set with 4 upper toms and a lower tom, I literally cannot find anything about the set online so I think it must be pretty rare. The guy i bought it from said he got it back in the 80s. It’s in good condition but I’m looking for something different to play on. I still want a double bass set but I’m looking for something more metal. Anyone want to make a trade or buy it? I’ll include the tom from my other kit that’s in the picture it’s the same size though. If the deal is right I’ll throw in the cymbals too. Btw i live in Northeast Ohio if you do want to make a deal. Anyone wanna tell me a bit about what i got? I also apologize that i posted this in this thread. I’m new

Attachments

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sure. In my opinion, CB700 drums are not rare at all. They're old and many may not be in use anymore, but they cranked out a lot of these in the 1980s. Most of the CB700 drums I've encountered were very entry-level kits, so desirability is probably extremely limited. I had a set of CB700 cymbals back in 1989 and they were not very good. I played on some CB700 kits back then (never owned one) and they were quite generic.

mikesdrums

Drummer
Reaction score
CB700 drums are common. They were sold in a lot of different variations, all of them inexpensive to begin with and not worth much today. The Internationale was at the lower end of the scale, but it's a pretty short scale between the best CB700 drums and the worst. In almost all cases buying two new heads for a CB700 drum would cost more than the drum itself is worth. That's probably why, as Targalx said, there are fewer around today than the high manufacturing numbers would suggest. They're basically disposable drums.

Having said that, I have two CB700 snares that I like. I don't play them, but I like them. One is a steel shell drum like yours. The shell is so thin it's pliable. "Pliable" does not normally describe a good-sounding drum, but in this case, it works. My other CB snare is an original free-floater. CB700 actually invented and patented the design that Pearl uses, so I bought one several years ago for the novelty of it.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say they are not at all common today with most of them having been used up and/or destroyed. But, that doesn't change their pecking order in the drum quality line up. And having double bass drum doesn't make them any rarer or more desirable imo unless you have an original invoice showing that the kit was bought that exact way. And even then, you'll get a lot of ho-hums. The drums can sound darn good....nearly as good as some of the pro lines of the period. A double bass drum kit with say 16/18 or 18/20 floor toms? Now that would be cool....and "rare." Or a run of concert toms for regular toms from 6" to 16"....all in matching/original condition. They don't come with serial numbers so one could "put together" a kit in various sizes. You don't find much on line about them because the collector base for them is so small.......and their associated value is relatively little.

On Ebay right now is an early 70's Slingerland double bass drum, COW wrap, very cool and rare Slingerland kit in 13,15,18,20,24,24 sizes. Now that double bass drum set is pretty rare in that total package of toms. Too bad the owner is in the process of parting them out. Would be nice to see orig kits like that kept intact.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a Good Craigslist (or facebook marketplace) Set.
Not something someone would want to pay to ship across states or drive 600 miles to see.
But it looks good (well can look good)
And can be a good local sale.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
What do you mean you want something "more metal"? What makes a drum set more metal?

• Haha
Reactions: JDA