Old Guy - get off my lawn rant

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Decided to bring up a term that people continue to use even though it is no longer applicable and that is describing
drum heads as skins . With only a couple of exceptions ( Earthtone, Stern, Kentville etc) all heads are Mylar and have nothing to do with skin whether it be calfskin , goatskin , muleskin whatever .

There you go rant over - Get off my lawn .

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
You must be too young to remember when all drums had "skins" and drums were called skins. I am an older man, so, Get Off My Lawn!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
It's synthetic skin. Phrases come and go and words can change meaning. Like it's been common to call bass drums "kick drum" to avoid confusion on the mixing board with the bass guitar. The beater is "kicking" the drum, so it's not entirely wrong. I sometimes call my cymbals "pies" even though they've never been edible.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
It rubs the lotion on its skins... Or else it gets the hose again!

Hmmm, what if you made a movie about a guy who makes a dress out of drum skins harvested from vintage kits (of course you’d have to draw the nipples on with a Sharpie)... Does the drum skin angle take away from the whole creep-factor, or is it MORE creepy?

Do you still hear the lambs, Clarice?

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Most Congas and Bongos (not the kiddie versions) still use real calf or goat skin.
Many (again not all or the kiddie verison) Dumbeks use skin
A few Professional Timpanists still use real skin.

I have a Kangaroo skin on one of my snares.

Now how about "catguts" for snare wires.....

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
It rubs the lotion on its skins... Or else it gets the hose again!

Hmmm, what if you made a movie about a guy who makes a dress out of drum skins harvested from vintage kits (of course you’d have to draw the nipples on with a Sharpie)... Does the drum skin angle take away from the whole creep-factor, or is it MORE creepy?

Do you still hear the lambs, Clarice?

Captain Stottlemeyer and Buffalo Bill

The day I figured out these two guys were one and the same ...

225px-TedLevine.jpg
il_794xN.1549148261_30i8.jpg

nmosko

Reaction score
When I hear someone say they need to put skins on their drums I think of the guys from the Hannibal Lecter movies as roadies.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Captain Stottlemeyer and Buffalo Bill

The day I figured out these two guys were one and the same ...
I had the same reaction! Couldn’t believe it. And I had to keep rewatching both, just to look for elements of each inside the other.

Almost identical to my reaction recognizing THESE guys were both one in the same. (Except this one, I fully knew it going in, and even still I struggled with it.) :)

1592594933174.jpeg
1592595242688.jpeg

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Skins" is not a problem for me, I wouldn't even notice if someone said it........what is a problem are these New Age Tw*** who say "No Problem" when I say "Thank You". I know it's not a problem, I am a customer here, you are an employee, I paid for this service, why would it be a problem. Also, if you say "Cheers" and are not Australian or a Kiwi, then that is a problem. Thank you for letting me vent.

Latest posts