Old Guy - get off my lawn rant

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's always been that way in VT. It's a glottal stop, and it's part of our regional accent. Ts are only pronounced if at the beginning of a word.
Thanks for your response.
It's interesting that it is part of the accent in your area.
I believe there may be more to it than that.
I can tell you a thousand miles away some of the younger generation who have never set foot in your neck of the woods say button in the way I described.
I would be interested to hear the results of parents not in the New England area with children that would write the word button on a piece of paper and ask their kids to pronounce the word.

Last edited:

mesazoo

Reaction score
Yes, the whole "skin" thing bothers me a bit, too! But, here's my rant...why do so many of us refer to a snare drum as "she"? She's a beautiful drum, etc, etc, etc. Sorry, but I would never hit a woman!! OK, rant over!!

-Mark
Look at my new Snare, I love how his head looks between my thighs.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
It's always been that way in VT. It's a glottal stop, and it's part of our regional accent. Ts are only pronounced if at the beginning of a word.
Not to get too far off-topic, but I found this video great at showing how much a locality's accent can differ:

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that’s from the early English occupation

Myk

Reaction score
Excuse me, old guy...that's not your lawn...your house is next door

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
First of all, Rick, you're not old!

I don't care what people call drums. But what's up with using "an" for "and?" They are two different words. "She an I went to the store," is not a coherent sentence. Are people so lazy that they can't type or pronounce one additional letter? LOL!

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Max Roach wrote and performed "Pies Of Quincy" a cymbal expose devoted to Zildjian's products which were at the time manufactured in Quincy, Massachusetts. So, if "pies" for cymbals is OK with ol' Max, it is OK with me.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
When I'm not playing the skins I'm tickling the ivories, both while wearing glasses.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Say the word supposeBLY....and you get the electric chair...no appeals.
Awful. One word that continually pushes my button is nuclear. It's not nu-cu-ler! Even politicians mispronounce it.

Pronunciation of "button"
is no longer BUT-in
Its now buh-IN
Exactly! Speaking of my button being pushed, I recently saw a short video ad for coh-IN face masks. Continually hearing the pitch girl mispronounce cotton soon became cringeworthy. Not a good way to hawk your product.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Awful. One word that continually pushes my button is nuclear. It's not nu-cu-ler! Even politicians mispronounce it.

Exactly! Speaking of my button being pushed, I recently saw a short video ad for coh-IN face masks. Continually hearing the pitch girl mispronounce cotton soon became cringeworthy. Not a good way to hawk your product.
You can't escape the glottal stop. If you start pronouncing Ts around here, you'll get run out of the state as a flatlander. Honestly, though coTTon just sounds wrong to me. I get it, though. Different perspectives.

How about this one: We do not say "our". My father and his generation pronounced it, "air", as in "air house". The accent has definitely changed with our generation; we pronounce it, "are". Getting closer!

Another feature that's disappearing is the flattening of vowels. Words like "tight" were pronounced "toight", but it's only survived in the more rural areas.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Few know this. Sidewalks are not on your property. They are in the public right-of-way usually. Someone said here that kick drums are small bass drums. No big kicks or small bass drums in that thinking. I think the "skins" thing came from the beatnik era in the 50s. A few adults, back in the day, would say "so you play the skins" like Maynard G. Krebs. I pronounce Aunt like Ant. Ant Bea. So is "bottom head" like "giant shrimp?" Ace

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Decided to bring up a term that people continue to use even though it is no longer applicable and that is describing
drum heads as skins . With only a couple of exceptions ( Earthtone, Stern, Kentville etc) all heads are Mylar and have nothing to do with skin whether it be calfskin , goatskin , muleskin whatever .

There you go rant over - Get off my lawn .

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Decided to bring up a term that people continue to use even though it is no longer applicable and that is describing
drum heads as skins . With only a couple of exceptions ( Earthtone, Stern, Kentville etc) all heads are Mylar and have nothing to do with skin whether it be calfskin , goatskin , muleskin whatever .

There you go rant over - Get off my lawn .
Your just too thin skinned!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Few know this. Sidewalks are not on your property. They are in the public right-of-way usually. Someone said here that kick drums are small bass drums. No big kicks or small bass drums in that thinking. I think the "skins" thing came from the beatnik era in the 50s. A few adults, back in the day, would say "so you play the skins" like Maynard G. Krebs. I pronounce Aunt like Ant. Ant Bea. So is "bottom head" like "giant shrimp?" Ace
You been drinking tonight Ace? Either way I saved this for posterity.

You may not own the sidewalk in front of your house but in many towns you are required to shovel it, why is that? Also, go into a car dealership and pay cash for a car, ask for the title. They will refuse to give it to you. Why is that?

Nacci.

Latest posts