Old habits (and G.A.S.) are hard to break

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I quit gigging and have no intention of going back to it. I do, however, jam with some friends once a week. That is my fix. Yet, I find myself still looking at drum kits I don't need. Heck, I have kits vastly superior to the ones at which I am looking, and the kicker is I could purchase just about any kit I could desire. But not only do I not need another, I keep looking anyway. It's sort of like losing a limb, but you still feel the aches and pains it once had. I knew that I was OCD, but this takes it to a new level. I need to find a different hobby to waste my money on :)

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One reason I never sweat selling something I'm no longer using. There are endless amounts of great gear in beautiful finishes. More than I'd ever have time to try, even if money were no object. Just when you think you've got it all....

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
One reason I never sweat selling something I'm no longer using. There are endless amounts of great gear in beautiful finishes. More than I'd ever have time to try, even if money were no object. Just when you think you've got it all....
You nailed the diagnosis! Want to give prescribing the cure a try? :)

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I quit gigging and have no intention of going back to it. I do, however, jam with some friends once a week. That is my fix. Yet, I find myself still looking at drum kits I don't need. Heck, I have kits vastly superior to the ones at which I am looking, and the kicker is I could purchase just about any kit I could desire. But not only do I not need another, I keep looking anyway. It's sort of like losing a limb, but you still feel the aches and pains it once had. I knew that I was OCD, but this takes it to a new level. I need to find a different hobby to waste my money on :)
No, you’ve got the right hobby. Give yourself some limits. Example: you must sell a kit BEFORE buying a new kit. No sell = no buy.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
No, you’ve got the right hobby. Give yourself some limits. Example: you must sell a kit BEFORE buying a new kit. No sell = no buy.
Actually, I need to sell at least four before I even think about a new one. I have too many kits, and most of them are very high end. Frankly, I would rather sell off the higher end ones and keep the intermediate ones, which are well suited to simple jamming.

notINtheband

Reaction score
Funny, before I clicked on this thread I was just thinking to myself, ‘If my home burned and all my kits with it, I would go out and buy the exact same 3 kits I currently own.’ Provided I could find them as one is 12 years old, another 10, and the last one a little club-gig kit that isn’t at all pricey. But replacing the snare collection (all players, none ultra-collectible) would be the challenge.

bob e michael

DFO Master
Reaction score
you can be on a diet , and still read the menu .... right ? ....
works with looking at drums , or girlies .... in my book of booklets

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wake up in the morning with absolutely no intention of chasing down drum gear , but every morning I hit Daves Drums and KIJIJI with my first coffee , just to have a ' peek ' .

Reaction score
Frankly, I would rather sell off the higher end ones and keep the intermediate ones, which are well suited to simple jamming.
This.

I‘ve mainly been a guitar guy most of my life, and have accumulated some good (read: expensive) ones as well as a handful of “normal” guitars. At this point I’d sell the fancy ones first for sure.

My regular old strat has been through thangs with me, and I don’t worry much about modding it or otherwise affecting its value.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You nailed the diagnosis! Want to give prescribing the cure a try? :)
Do you play any other musical instruments?

Careful though - it's a very slippery slope. Don't ask me how I know. :p

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mike, IMO, as long as one is laying stick or brush to Mylar or skin, at gig or just for personal enjoyment alone, then the need for varied gear is valid, and if one stops, it’s still valid and the shift can be made to being a collector.

I suppose the shift to collector requires more money.

And possibly less exposure to babes.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a similar problem. I have all the gear I’d ever need for 3 lifetimes, but I still look constantly and am tempted frequently. I came very close to connecting with you regarding the Buddy Rich DW kit you have. Talked myself out of it multiple times.
I started collecting vinyl. That helps a little.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could be wasting your money on alcohol and drugs. Perspective is everything and one man’s ceiling is another’s floor, and whatnot.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's my trick too. Sort of a "law of conservation of drum gear". Something comes in, something must go out. Everything I have own is excellent so it makes it REALLY hard to justify getting something new. And yet my eye wanders, every damn day.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have bought/traded for and sold so many kits in the last 15 years or so it has become ridiculous . I am not bragging at all . I have seen some fabulous kits come and go for various reasons . I have been a champion for boutique manufacturers for awhile ( Summit, INDe, Whitney and if course N&C).

I am always looking even when I am completely satisfied with what I have currently . I have at least made a rule for myself to no longer own more than three drum sets . Hey , this is progress for me . I also have a rule for snare drums as well , no more than 10 at any one time . If something comes in , something has to go out .
I have also decided to concentrate on gear that I will be using for gigs . No more gear just to place on a shelf and admire . If I am not using it for gigs -out It goes .

I am at an age (just turned 60) where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I no longer feel the need for the Uber high end drum sets (like Yamaha PHX/ Sonor SQ2 / DW Collectors etc). I have what I hope is my last drum set on order currently .

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Now we're talking. Burgundy? Bordeaux? Brunello? CA?
Brunelos and Amarones ... and Barolos, and of course the ubiquitous Sangioveses and the Sicilian and Puglia wines. But also Californias and S. America and S. Africa, with some Australian and NZ wines thrown in. And, yes, some French ones as well. Love them all.