Old k rides thread.

jmoll

Reaction score
Let's hear them!
Ok, here some recordings that I have of some of the cymbals in the picture:

The link that mathale has posted is the one at the bottom left corner, along with a 18" from the same era.

In this link:
You can see and hear the one in the top right corner with another 18" and 14" hats, all of them IIIc.

Last edited:

jmoll

Reaction score
And here is a recording I've made last year. Is a piano/drums duo, and the music combines free improvisation with written music.
https://claralai.bandcamp.com/album/permanente-impermanencia
In here you can hear the bottom left (one more time) and the bottom right (IIIb with two rivets), along with a 22" IIIb a 18" IIb and a 15" hats (IIa over IIIc).
This is a picture of the setup I used on that recording session.
IMG_0967.jpg

I don't have any recording of the two at the center row and the one at the top left corner of the first picture right now.
I will try to make a video of all the K's this summer to compare them.

Last edited:

jmoll

Reaction score
in case anyone missed that - what year would you say these were built (53..52?..
Zildjian K Istanbul Old Stamp III 18": 1408g 20": 1488g

I don't know for sure... I only know they came from a Trixon set, but I'm not so much into this brand to know when those drums were made.
Like you know, the stamps on those cymbals have missing spots and that makes imposible to know if they are IIIa or IIIb, that's why I always call them only as a type III.
Anyway, by the shape of the bells I suspect they are IIIa, but that's isn't that precise so that's only an hypothesis. Actually they sound amazing, so the exact year isn't that important to me.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my old K. Must be rare, because I haven't seen another like it in this thread

Kashian, 1970s. :-D:-D :-D

IMG_20210602_092406.jpg