Old Ludwig snare, 1930's

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
I see you went to the auction today! How was it? It crossed my mind but I'm finished buying. I liked the BDP Rogers pieces.

Dave

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would agree.Ludwid super (not a super sensitive). Price ?, boy I do not know. Dead guess $400-800? Should be one ply wether maple or mahogany. Nice drum.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
Why yes I did! All of the drum stuff sold for what I assume to be fair to overpriced. I bought this snare, the blue/olive badged timbales, the leedy Ludwig bass drum with 2 mij toms a recovered mij bass drum in bowling ball blue along with a matching 14 inch floor tom, the bass has Ludwig lugs and rogers spurs. Frankenstein bass for sure. Also bought 2 zildjian crashes and 3 old bullet mics. There were a pair of old K hats that I wanted but they sold for to much I think.i wanted to buy the 1970 fender bassman amp but it was missing the speakers, I still think the buyer got a hell of a deal at $460. I bid on the ampeg bass rig also 2 8x10 cabs with the head, it sold for 775 which I think is a steal.
The Ludwig bowling ball oyster kit sold for over 900.00, based on the condition I think the buyer paid to much. The blue sparkle Ludwig kit was a 13 inch Ludwig tom and the rest of the kit was wfl, it also sold for more than it should have. I'm going to keep the timbales, sell the snare once I clean it up and sell the other stuff also, besides the snare, I didn't pay to much so it will go cheap and I'm sure the buyers will be overly happy.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
By the way, the auctioneer owned everything, he lossed money on a lot of the stuff that was there. To give you an idea, 4 giant peavy speaker cabs horn with a 15 which is pretty much obsolete by today's standards sold for five dollars each. A ton of albums and 45s sold really really cheap also. I think there were over 2,000 albums and I don't think they along with the 45's sold for more than 25 bucks.

Reaction score
Are you sure the date stamp is 3301 ?
Those lugs weren't around in 1933 I think.
Perhaps it's 3801 ?
Gold Flash is pretty rare from that era, and the 5"model is very rare.
I'd guesstimate value at a grand.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Nice finds Mike. That snare is the cat's meow!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not surprised that the Fender Bassman Amp was missing the speakers. There was nothing really special about the electronics in the Bassman amp....it was the 4, Heavy Duty Jensen speakers that Jensen made for Leo Fender to his specs, that made the Bassman special. Those speakers are like Gold Dust, they sell for mucho $$$ each. Grab a complete Bassman amp and you have 4 to sell.

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a snare that is pretty much the same except it is missing the wrap. Supposed to be a 1940. Mine has a ply shell, but I love it. Mine has a more traditional throw.

CLMacPherson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sparkle drums of that vintage don't surface very often. Clean that sucker up so we can see it in all it's glory. Lol

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here are some pictures, ild say for a 78 year old drum it came out nice. The inside of the drum was very dirty, I used a magic eraser to clean that up, worked like a champ. Never dull on all of the hardware, the strainer area on the drum was very dirty. I used a little lubricating oil on it as it was stiff. The drum is now sold and some of you will probably see and read about it soon.

Attachments