Old Man Issues - Lower Back Pain

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If your "spare tire" isn't too prominent, you can relieve lower back pain by laying on the floor, on your stomach.

Elvis
Yeah, that's not happening. Although I think you have hit on the problem. I need to drop weight, alot. I noticed while practicing (not playing) last night I was not very fluid reaching around to my floor tom with my left hand while playing traditional grip. My gut was in the way. That aint good.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not happening. Although I think you have hit on the problem. I need to drop weight, alot. I noticed while practicing (not playing) last night I was not very fluid reaching around to my floor tom with my left hand while playing traditional grip. My gut was in the way. That aint good.
Backs don’t like frontal weight.

ggmerino

Reaction score
Before you spend a fortune on a new throne, that may be so heavy it gives you a hernia carrying it around, make sure your posture is absolutely perfect. I weigh 275 and use the lightest throne I can find and haven't had a single back problem in 15 years since I corrected my posture. I used to sit way too low, too far from the cymbals and too close to the pedals. Tons of good info on the internet.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Ok, no problem, there's one more thing you can do...
Grab something stable, like a counter top or a deck railing (assuming the railing is good and solid and doesn't wobble. FWIW, I hold onto the kitchen sink.).
Holding with your hands, do a deep knee band (i.e., squat).
When you get all the way down, stay there for a minute or so.
Sometimes leaning back when you're down there helps too (why you're holding onto something that doesn't move. You can "hang" from your hands).
It doesn't take the stress off your lower back, but its a helluva nice lower back stretch and will help you feel better.
I realize you probably think you can't do it, because once you're down there you won't be able to get back up, but if you're holding onto something with your hands, you can pull with your arms, while you lift with your legs....and if you ain't that coordinated, you got no business playing drums.
Try the stretch. You'll like it.

Elvis
P.S. As for your weight, at dam near 300 lbs. myself, it sounds like we could both stand to lose a little and maybe get a little more exercise, to boot. Good luck. =)

Last edited:

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, no problem, there's one more thing you can do...
Grab something stable, like a counter top or a deck railing (assuming the railing is good and solid and doesn't wobble. FWIW, I hold onto the kitchen sink.).
Holding with your hands, do a deep knee band (i.e., squat).
When you get all the way down, stay there for a minute or so.
Sometimes leaning back when you're down there helps too (why you're holding onto something that doesn't move. You can "hang" from your hands).
It doesn't take the stress off your lower back, but its a helluva nice lower back stretch and will help you feel better.
I realize you probably think you can't do it, because once you're down there you won't be able to get back up, but if you're holding onto something with your hands, you can pull with your arms, while you lift with your legs....and if you ain't that coordinated, you got no business playing drums.
Try the stretch. You'll like it.

Elvis
P.S. As for your weight, at dam near 300 lbs. myself, it sounds like we could both stand to lose a little and maybe get a little more exercise, to boot. Good luck. =)
My back was feeling pretty good as was my mood this morning and my playing at 9 am practice with the jazz group was spot on. Still too fat, but thats another story. Think I just needed some rest and a 48 hours doing something else but playing drums.

Thanks for the tips Elvis (and everyone else). I will incorporate some stretches.

I ran out of Glucosimine/Condroiton this morning. Dang CVS didnt have any. GRRRR.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Take your wallet out of your pocket whenever you are sitting(on throne, driving a vehicle, airlines, etc.) Not good for your spine.

Last edited:

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A Carmichael drum throne is also a great alternative. I had lower back issues about 3 years ago and bought one of their thrones. It's pricey but I haven't had back pain attributed to extended practices/performances since. The channel/groove down the middle is supposed to relieve pressure on the spine. Anyway, I've got one and love it!

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take my throne. I don't mess with the backline set up at all, but I take my throne and snare stand so I feel at home too. Nobody seems to find me to be "that guy" so far.
Glad you are feeling better!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll add that if you can squeeze it in, go for walks...long ones. I’ve noticed since I walk Or bike everyday, my aches and pains have diminished dramatically. Of course you may experience foot pain but that’s because you’re using them. Of course this is for naught if you already have a walking plan. I’m 66.

Oh, I agree about bringing your throne with you when you’re playing a different kit.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Before you spend a fortune on a new throne, that may be so heavy it gives you a hernia carrying it around, make sure your posture is absolutely perfect. I weigh 275 and use the lightest throne I can find and haven't had a single back problem in 15 years since I corrected my posture. I used to sit way too low, too far from the cymbals and too close to the pedals. Tons of good info on the internet.
This is what Dave is an expert about. The ergo's.

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A Carmichael drum throne is also a great alternative. I had lower back issues about 3 years ago and bought one of their thrones. It's pricey but I haven't had back pain attributed to extended practices/performances since. The channel/groove down the middle is supposed to relieve pressure on the spine. Anyway, I've got one and love it!
Did you buy the round one or the saddle one ?

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Without a strong abdominal panel, the connective tissue groupings in your lower back have nothing to build on or push against . A sensible beginner's Tae Kwon Do routine will help to correct that over time, if its done on a daily basis .

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Whenever I play somewhere else and use a kit other than my own, I bring my own throne, bass drum pedal, snare and snare stand and, if necessary, my own cymbals. Sticks too but that one's obvious.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this vid to be super interesting and helpful as well -

kzoosteve

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through a trial of several thrones. From my experience and reading others a few out there are really high quality and come down to personal preference. The soundseat for me was the game changer. I literally had to stand every 2-3 songs to stretch out my back to keep going. That is a thing of the past. Again, many really nice thrones that work for others, but my experience is the soundseat saved my amateur (at best) career :).

-Steve

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Take your wallet out of your pocket whenever you are sitting(on throne, driving a vehicle, airlines, etc.) Not good for your spine.
Or take a wad of napkins and put it in the other pocket to even it out.
download.jpg

I think I hit the "old man" group now. Since we had been quarantining for a couple months I hadn't played out that much, nor practiced at home. All of a sudden we had 4 gigs in 5 days and I'm not used to that lately. It didn't help that 2 of those days were at the same place in their parking lot (for social distancing) and it had a slope down to my right. I think between the mild slope and the extra playing it all tweaked my back. I've been doing toe-touches all day and that feels nice, but it's not really helping the situation. I've even used a TENS unit and that helped temporarily too.

pet fever detector

Reaction score
A friend of mine had some back issues that were serious enough to need a leave from work. He said the only that helped him improve was going for regular swims which a doctor told him to do. Nothing strenuous, you don't need to train like an olympian, a casual pace was all that was needed. Moving your spine around in an environment with less pressure on your back being the idea.

iirc, a thick wallet was the culprit.