header.nohb.html

Old Niles, IL Slingerland factory sighting

chakosticks

Reaction score
Driving back from the Burbs to the City after Thanksgiving, I didn't feel like sitting on the Kennedy Expressway, aka the Kennedy Parking Lot, so I followed a Maps route that happened to take me past the old Slingerland factory on Milwaukee Ave in Niles.

I saw a lot of shiny new buildings along Milwaukee Ave north of the site, so I can't help but wonder how much longer the building will stand. Wouldn't be surprised if the current tenants, a janitorial supply company, may be the last. We'll see.

Sorry for not taking the photo horizontal to fit more in, but you're not missing much TBH. Quite a plain little structure. Still, something nostalgic and comforting about passing the building where they produced so many of the drums I've played over the years.

IMG_0181.jpg

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yep, that's the place! I'm surprised it's still a janitorial supply company! I figured it might have changed by now!

Thanks for posting!

-Mark

GretschMan61

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Niles Slingerland was a far better design than the Damen Avenue Ludwig plant. Having the plant all in one level is much better .

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I drive by there every couple of years and I see the new development of the area, which is mostly a working class neighborhood. I can see why, the area is close to Chicago but the taxes are significantly lower.

Trommeslager

Reaction score
In my country, some buildings 500 year old or more. Walk down street most places have many uses since Galileo or Shakespeares birthed from mothers. Our highways not great.I like US rest stops. One time so get tattoo at Big Flying J between Atlanta and the Floridas on Pestilance for the Rest of Us tour.

Trommeslager

Reaction score
In my country, some buildings 500 year old or more. Walk down street most places have many uses since Galileo or Shakespeares birthed from mothers. Our highways not great.I like US rest stops. One time so get tattoo at Big Flying J between Atlanta and the Floridas on Pestilance for the Rest of Us tour

chakosticks

Reaction score
In my country, some buildings 500 year old or more. Walk down street most places have many uses since Galileo or Shakespeares birthed from mothers. Our highways not great.I like US rest stops. One time so get tattoo at Big Flying J between Atlanta and the Floridas on Pestilance for the Rest of Us tour.
It's a single story building on a fairly large chunk of land - in the US, developers will be salivating at what they will be able to do with the property.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I grew up a few blocks away from there. If you keep going down Milwaukee past Oakton there’s a diner called Booby’s (that was the original owners nickname in the 50’s). I think his kids run it now. I couldn’t recommend this place enough. The skirt steak sandwich is the thing legends are made of. Whenever I go back to visit family it’s my first stop directly from the airport.

chakosticks

Reaction score
I grew up a few blocks away from there. If you keep going down Milwaukee past Oakton there’s a diner called Booby’s (that was the original owners nickname in the 50’s). I think his kids run it now. I couldn’t recommend this place enough. The skirt steak sandwich is the thing legends are made of. Whenever I go back to visit family it’s my first stop directly from the airport.
Haven't been to Booby's in ages! I'm going to make sure to stop in next time I'm in that area.