Old school Yamaha was on another level!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those Yamahas are sleepers. Always unassuming until you actually play AND hear them. I have had a few Yammies from back in the day and regretted selling them. I would buy another set if I found some for the right price.

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
I found the Remo pinstripes batters on the birch or birch mahogany shells seem to be the best combo. I tried different heads on my 8000 series and always go back to Remo pinstripes with clear ambassadors on the resonant side.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I found the Remo pinstripes batters on the birch or birch mahogany shells seem to be the best combo. I tried different heads on my 8000 series and always go back to Remo pinstripes with clear ambassadors on the resonant side.
What heads you like on your 8000 bass drum ?

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually put Pinstripes on this 7000 kit and they sound amazing!! Great heads for this kit!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had a set of Yamaha's, just a few of their snares and the Manu Hipgig kit (MIJ by Sakae). I love the finish on these drums. Great score, man....

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
These are great drums. If you are a jazz fan, or even more specifically an Al Foster fan, then you might have seen Al back in the 70's and 80's (with Miles or Newk) playing a purple Yamaha set, those were these same Yamaha 7000 drums. I have played them many times, (he even left them at my house for a while, it hurt to give them back.) They do indeed sound, and feel, fantastic!!! If I remember correctly Al's have really big die cast "like" hoops on them (like the Ludwig dual channel hoops,) and the purple "wrap" is just a really thin contact paper type of stuff that Yamaha put on for him.

I I could ever find some of that same purple contact paper (with the same metallic sheen,) I might even put it on an older beater set of Yamaha tour customs that I have in 18,12,14 just for kicks and as a "tribute" to my friend.

He has since moved on to his white or black Recording Customs, and his green Maple Customs, and his sig portable kit. But those purple ones are really special!!! Every once in a while he even pulls them out for a special local gig. Al was Yamaha's first drum endorser. I don't know if these were the first drums that Yamaha gave him, but they are the most special ones.

MSG
- The rims on Al's purple kit are machined steel rims. I bought a 12" rim in 1977 when I lived in Tokyo - cost about $80.00. I later picked up an 18. Back then a 12" die-cast Gretsch rim ran maybe $30.00, and no one else I could access offered a 6 hole 12" or a 10 hole 18" die-cast rim. I've seen very few kits in the US with those rims - maybe Ralph Humphrey with CAl Jarreau and Ndugu in the late 70's - probably because of the cost.

If anyone is interested in those rims, PM me.