Old Tama Swingstar Snare: what did I just buy?

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an old Tama Swingstar 14x6.5” snare for ok money. I’ve been looking for a deeper metal drum for an 80’s backbeat vibe to compliment my concert tom kit and I figured steel might be a nice change of pace as the 5” steel slingerland I found punches above its weight. I was leaning towards a premier as they seem to pop up cheap but the shipping is always a killer. Today I came across a Tama Swingstar for $125 and figured I’d give it a shot. Best I can tell its the same shell as an imperialstar of the era with 8 lugs. Anyone have any experience?

also if anyone has some muffler parts they might want to part with let me know

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can’t figure out how to attach the pics from reverb so probably not gonna get action here. Black T made in Japan badge. 8 lug. Will update with pictures when it comes in

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st open reverb pics in the larger setting; ..........right mouse click open image in other tab; ... (copy and paste) that .jpg address. plop it here with trigger bookends

[ img ]
[/img ]

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1st open reverb pics in the larger setting; ..........right mouse click open image in other tab; ... (copy and paste) that .jpg address. plop it here with trigger bookends

[ img ]
[/img ]
No mouse to work with, only a phone. I saved the pics before the listing disappeared but the site won’t let me attach

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
this one?

https://reverb.com/item/37255855-ta...ome-steel-snare-drum-1984-1988?show_sold=true

you can click on "other Filters" and seek Sold Items..
also learn the triggers/ the prompts..will activate any .jpg address)
[i mg ]
[/i mg]
(no space inside brackets)
You lost me. I appreciate the effort but not too tech savvy. I found the listing for mine.

Reactions: JDA

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I came across a few 8 lug 5x14 Tama steel snares in the 90s. Solid drums, nothing cheap about them. Back then I didn't know anything about shells, but they sounded better than my '88 Pearl Export snare, which always seemed a bit twangy in comparison - heavier shell or hoops? (Goes to show, some people refer to this exact Pearl 6.5 as a secret weapon).
Haven't owned a steel-shelled snare since, but I could look into one of these.

edit: the lugs look different on this one. I would change the snare straps for cord.

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is my favorite "under-the-radar" drum. I often recommend it to those looking for a really nice versatile rock snare on a tight budget. Most people don't know and don't care, so you can find them cheap. But yes, absolutely, there's nothing cheap about it. Anything Tama from the T-badge era is top notch, even their lower end models.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I came across a few 8 lug 5x14 Tama steel snares in the 90s. Solid drums, nothing cheap about them. Back then I didn't know anything about shells, but they sounded better than my '88 Pearl Export snare, which always seemed a bit twangy in comparison - heavier shell or hoops? (Goes to show, some people refer to this exact Pearl 6.5 as a secret weapon).
Haven't owned a steel-shelled snare since, but I could look into one of these.

edit: the lugs look different on this one. I would change the snare straps for cord.
Whats the reasoning for cord vs strap? I usually use ribbon on any snare that will take it but I’m open to different ways of thinking

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
usually a little more flex for those wicked wicked rimshots we perform..
give..

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is my favorite "under-the-radar" drum. I often recommend it to those looking for a really nice versatile rock snare on a tight budget. Most people don't know and don't care, so you can find them cheap. But yes, absolutely, there's nothing cheap about it. Anything Tama from the T-badge era is top notch, even their lower end models.
I completely ignored steel snares for years. I had only really heard beginner steel drums tuned by beginners but I’m hoping steel will have the power to compliment my 22x22 Single headed fiberglass bass drum.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
BTW, to answer the question, what you just bought is a Tama model 7006 from c. 1984.
Whats the give away for 1984? I’m just getting in to serial # research. Thanks

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Whats the reasoning for cord vs strap?
With that kind of wires (angled endplates) cord pulls the wires against the center of the snare side head, so you get crisper snare response at lower wire tension, no choking. Strap just pulls laterally.

I was mentioning this because I think it was on a 5x14 Tama that I first tried this- (Not even sure where I got the idea from, that was before I got a Supra with the p83 where you had to use cord). The drum had worked well before, but the snare response improved.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ok..yea less Choke eech
lil more sophistication mayn't be applicable
breathing room)
I’ve got a 5” wood powertone with my super classics for approaching sophistication. This ones gonna get rimshots smacked out of it with Vic Firth American Classic Metals behind the North kit

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With that kind of wires (angled endplates) cord pulls the wires against the center of the snare side head, so you get crisper snare response at lower wire tension, no choking. Strap just pulls laterally.

I was mentioning this because I think it was on a 5x14 Tama that I first tried this- (Not even sure where I got the idea from, that was before I got a Supra with the p83 where you had to use cord). The drum had worked well before, but the snare response improved.
I have 5” and 6.5” acrolites with early p85s that require cord. Everything else usually gets grosgrain ribbon but I’ll do some experimenting on this one when it comes in. Thanks