Old vs. new K Con Hi Hats?

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
I've been putting together a set of K Cons over the last year, and have already acquired a 22" MTL, a 20" Bounce (with 2 rivets added) and an 18" crash. I adore these cymbals, but the big hole in this set is obviously the lack of hi hats. I've found someone on my local Kijiji selling a pair of 14" K Con hats from 2007, and I can get them for a great price. I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead with the deal, but do know that Zildjian re-designed these hats pretty recently. Just wondering if any of you can shed some light on the differences between the older and newer models. Thanks!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guessing newer ones are heavier like the newer K Con cymbals. I also have a pair for sale. What year are those?

Reaction score
They're from 2007 based on the serial number. I had asked for weights, but the seller doesn't have a scale and these were released before Zildjian started writing the weights under the bells.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a set new when they first (2000 maybe) came out I already had Light 20 and Light 22.
Could never make fish nor fowl of the hi hats. Were they high or bright or...I couldn't relate (to say any jazz recording I had ever heard) to them. They were a sound I wasn't nor in any way familiar with.
they became a part of the last straw that tipped going full on old K Turkish Ks.
I hope yours are better!
I think they were $430 back then and to this day hold my record for largest single percussion purchase error ever / claim to fame
Hope yours are better!

Last edited:

tbird8450

Reaction score
Just curious...why do you think this is leaving you with a hole in the hi hat area? Is it simply for the sake of maintaining a complete set, or do you feel you're missing a complementary sound?

I ask because while I love a good K Con ride / crash, I've personally never been bowled over by the hi hats. I mean I'm sure they'd be fine but certainly unnecessary to putting together what is otherwise probably a tremendous set of cymbals.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice maybee

Reaction score
Just curious...why do you think this is leaving you with a hole in the hi hat area? Is it simply for the sake of maintaining a complete set, or do you feel you're missing a complementary sound?

I ask because while I love a good K Con ride / crash, I've personally never been bowled over by the hi hats. I mean I'm sure they'd be fine but certainly unnecessary to putting together what is otherwise probably a tremendous set of cymbals.
Fair question. I appreciate Joe's suggestion of vintage 14" As, and actually have a pair of 13" small stamps. I love them to bits, but they get a bit lost amid the other cymbals and the electric instruments in my band, while all the other cymbals cut nicely. I also have a 15" pair of Avedis hats, but they don't match the K Cons very well, and are a bit heavier than I would like.

Hoping 14" K Cons will both cohere with my other cymbals, and give me a bit more cut and presence. Plus I'm getting them for a price essentially equal to the 14" hats Joe suggested.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be ok in an electric environment with the K Con; I was, back then, thinking they were going for -hoping- they had hit an old K sound
(hence my empuzzlement).. But louder environment go fer it

Reaction score
Thanks for the engagement and suggestions folks, I appreciate all of your insights and collective experience.

Still, any insights into my initial question about older vs. newer hats?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what leads you to- was there ever an announcement-

Reaction score
what leads you to- was there ever an announcement-
Yes. I seem to recall seeing a few references in Zildjian's own literature to redesigning the K Con hats, and the newer ones appear to have more pronounced lathing than the old ones seem to. A bit hazy on the details though, and unsure what difference that might make.

Reactions: JDA

Reaction score
Here's the link to their site and description, which provides some explanation of the changes and the impact they make. That said, I'd love the insights of anyone here who has actually tried both and doesn't have a bias or incentive to plug one over the other.

Last edited:

slcdrummer

Reaction score
My opinion: the older models I’ve played have been nicer although I’ve only ever owned the redesigned model. The pair I had would probably work great for rock but they were super chunky and pretty bright—a little too much for my taste in the jazz application I wanted to use them in.

Reaction score
My opinion: the older models I’ve played have been nicer although I’ve only ever owned the redesigned model. The pair I had would probably work great for rock but they were super chunky and pretty bright—a little too much for my taste in the jazz application I wanted to use them in.
Thanks for your insights, you've sort of confirmed my suspicions.

My small stamp 13" As work beautifully with my K Cons for jazz and quieter playing, but that the older K Con hats will be better suited to electric and slightly louder settings. I'd love them to work for jazz too, but ultimately don't need them to. The rest of the K Con cymbals I have work perfectly in both acoustic and electric settings, their dynamic range is remarkably wide.

Reaction score
Well, I got my K Con hats, and have been absolutely loving them so far. Like other K Con cymbals, they work well at a very wide dynamic range. This means they could be too loud for an acoustic setting if the player doesn't show restraint, but could be perfect with a lighter touch. The foot chick is the best I've ever had, and the sound integrates beautifully with my other K Cons. Yes, they are heavier than one would expect, especially if the expectation is a replication of old Ks, but balancing that weight is a level of sensitivity, complexity and responsiveness that I've sorely missed with other relatively heavy hi hats.

Thanks to everyone here who offered their $.02. I wasn't expecting it, but the seller also has a 22" Light K Con with loads of patina that I got to try out when I got these. I'll be selling some cymbals to grab that one too, I was blown away by it.

Attachments