header.nohb.html

Old WFL Floor Tom Leg brackets

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m in the process of cleaning up my WFL kit and have a question about the old style spring push-clip floor tom brackets that were used. Can the bracket itself be disassembled? Or can the legs come out of each bracket without the spring popping out? I’d like to clean up the brackets and legs if possible but don’t want parts flying everywhere or springs popping out if they can’t be out back in easily. I did notice the top of each leg has a tiny tab possibly to keep it from coming out all the way. But, couldn’t you take the rubber foot off and slide the leg out that way instead? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here’s a pic…

2F79F6A7-00E4-44EA-AAF5-EEF6D24D3221.png

andlours

Reaction score
I’ve only dealt with the later style push button leg brackets, but they’re really simple. It should just be a spring and the “button” with the leg running through both. Sometime a bit tricky to get back together, but pretty dang easy to do.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a good picture before you disassemble in case you need a reference. Or do one at a time.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I
Take a good picture before you disassemble in case you need a reference. Or do one at a time.
I’ve read a few threads on here with a few people having some major issues getting the legs back in after sliding them out. I’m not sure why as it does not seem that complicated…but I’m a little hesitant. I believe they removed them to fit in cases, etc.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I

I’ve read a few threads on here with a few people having some major issues getting the legs back in after sliding them out. I’m not sure why as it does not seem that complicated…but I’m a little hesitant. I believe they removed them to fit in cases, etc.
Don't be afraid

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ended up just now taking them apart. Just a spring held in place with tension and the push-lever held in place by the spring/tension. Not to bad - here's to getting the leg back in once i reassemble!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier, I have done this before and it was a real chore for me to get them back together. I would try to clean them up as best you can without taking them apart.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You're just cleaning right?
Not the full polish?
Doing the full polish with simichrome. I tried just doing a simple wipe down of everything - but it was just layers of dust and grime, etc. A fair amount of rust on tension rods and some of the bass drum attachment clips and just about all of the bass drum claws. I didn't want to clean up rusty parts having parts looking newer, and others looking old and dull. It looked neat with the dull hardware, but in the end it just wasn't what I was wanting. The nickel still isn't as brilliant looking as my vintage kits with chrome lugs/hardware - it still has a definite gray-tone to it.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't be afraid
After the parts soaked yesterday I started putting them back together today. I got all three put back together in about 10 minutes - maybe less. Now that a lot of rust and gunk is gone they slide smoothly and easily now when the button is pressed. When I got the kit they would barely move without using a good amount of force.

DFDE217B-0258-4D42-9793-468D0F7DB8A9.jpeg

DD7AA3C2-9C76-49DD-AA5C-63DCA0600B6E.jpeg

6C7BDC6D-DDFC-4562-9884-0626E3DB45D6.jpeg