Old Zildjians

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
jonesy said:
This is an interesting thread. I don't know much about vintage cymbals I just know what I like and have always bought old cymbals cos I like the sound and look and they're cheaper! I recently noticed that my favourite 18" crash is a Canadian and wondered about it (I had thought all Zildjians were made in USA). What sort of age would it be? It's very dull looking (just how I like them) and has no ink stamps on it.
It's interesting what's been said about the hi hats . Mine are very closely matched (heavy) in weight ( I believe they're '70s, the only ink stamps on them are hollow 'Zildjian' on the underside) and I thought they might be two bottoms put together (I had thought all Zildjian hi hats from the '60s onwards had heavier bottoms). They sound great though.
I have also learned a lot from KO and this forum in general over the few weeks since I joined, thanks. :notworthy:

Cheers, Nathan.
Canadian Zildjians 1970 - 1980/81, Meductic plant opened in `68, first two years production was mostly limited to Zilco's.
USA "Hollow" ink logos ran from 1978 - 1981'ish. There are a lot of "Hollow" ink Canadian Zildjians out there, suspicions are that the Canadian plant began using the hollow ink style prior to `78.
There are also examples and anomalies of processes and finishing being done by both the USA and Canadian plants, there were some hitches from time to time.
Enjoy your `70's Zil's they are some great pies.

More about Zildjian history,
http://en.wikipedia....ildjian_Company

Stonestreet

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Post Office!!!! Of course! I don't know why I didn't think of that!
:occasion5:

LudwigLarry

Reaction score
I just got back from the DFW area a few weeks ago and picked up a 50s A. Zildjian 18" Paper Thin crash. weighs in @ a feather weight 1016 grms. I was going to put it on Ebay but after trying it with my 50s A. Zildjian Med. Ride and my 40s A.Zildjian 14" crash, its a keeper. I tell ya this is what an 18" crash should sound like. Nice explosive low pitched crash that gets out of the way kinda fast. :D :D :D

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
:shock: Holy crap! - 1016g.?!

... :notworthy: ...

Man, I thought my old 18" Paiste Sig. Mellow Crash was a super lightweight. It weighed 1119g.
That old A must be SUPER-duper responsive.

Nice grab, Larry. :occasion5:

Elvis

LudwigLarry

Reaction score
Yes very resposive. Thats why I'm keeping it instead of putting it on the Bay. I've also got a 40s 14" top hi hat cymbal that weighs a skinny 655 grms. and works great with any other 14" thats heavier. Still has a strong ink stamp on it that says Top Hi Hat. Very very bendable.

You just can't beat old Zildjians. There are very very few new ones that I like. I'm glad that old Zildjians for the most part are cheap. I'll take an old Zildjian anyday over a new clangey one. :D

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
thanks for sharing that info coel. i'd love to have one of those. nice price.

mike

Stonestreet

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Coela, I just now received my 18" A Zildjian crash, drilled for rivets. Thanks for the lead on that one Mike!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
youre quite welcome. i was wondering if you got it. how does it sound?

mike

Stonestreet

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
mlayton said:
youre quite welcome. i was wondering if you got it. how does it sound?

mike

I need to go to Lee Valley today and pick up some brass rivets, but I played with it a bit last night and I'm pretty into it. She's got a nice low pitch and a lot of dirt on her, looks great. I'll know how I feel after she sizzles.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i could have sent you some with that inlay i mailed ya. ive got a box of them. :)

mike

Stonestreet

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's cool, I got a bag of 50 from Lee Valley for 8 bucks. Fair enough price I'd say, plus, I didn't even know for sure if I was getting it.

Tried the cymbal out today and I think it's too heavy to crash, so it's my sizzle ride now. I love the look of this kit. It's really starting to come together now!