Older PREMIER kit ID?

reevolution

Reaction score
Hi all,

I picked up this Premier kit a few months ago during my 'buy every vintage item I can find' phase (though that phase has never really ceased). I really don't know much about Premier at all, as I've always been a Ludwig junky.
With that being said, I was wondering if anybody could help me identify this kit that I purchased? I would like to believe I got a good deal, or at least have something that is worth keeping around.
It's going to be a major project and I want to gauge whether or not it will be worth the time/effort/money to fully restore. I also have the option of buying the same kit in near mint condition, albeit in a gold wrap of the same style, for 4x what I paid for this one.
So for no more than my peace of mind, does anybody know the model/year/estimated value/likelihood of getting matching parts if needed/etc of the following?:

5pc. Premier Kit (described as 'most likely 60s era' during purchase) w/ blood red 'refractive' type wrap
12" Rack Tom
14" Rack Tom
16" Floor Tom
22" Kick (w/ really HEAVY duty Tom Mount)
14" Snare
Hi-Hat, Snare and Straight Cymbal Stands (all matching + same model w/ white 'PREMIER Made in England' lettering on black background)
Absolutely no unique identifiers (serial/model#/year/etc.) anywhere that I've noticed other than the stickers on the hardware and the unique looking wrap.

If I can provide anymore information or pictures please just let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
- Jon

View attachment 122733
View attachment 122734
View attachment 122735
View attachment 122736
View attachment 122737

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those are from the mid-nineites

They are the XPK/APK series

They have been re-wrapped.

Below are some pages from a mid-nineties Premier catalog for comparison.

Hope you got 'em cheap.

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
i have some vintage drums
yours are not old at all,check the lugs

check mine out under for sale
the premier white kik,2toms for 350

good luck,hope you gotem cheap

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/61701-vintage-60s-premier-kit/

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Actually,maybe not a re wrap,I saw guitar center selling xpk apk in the same pattern,although the colors I remember were a blue,and I think a yellow /green IIRC.May have been a limited/short run or a GC exclusive.
I think the time period was late 90's

Either way,cool looking kit IMO.

reevolution

Reaction score

Hope you got 'em cheap.
Thanks a bunch for the help with identifying these. The catalog shots are great! Seeing Birch/Eucalyptus/Birch shells mentioned in the description definitely peaked my interest!

I must ask though - What indicates that this kit has been re-wrapped? I only question this statement because I have access to another set of these, and the wraps on both kits are nearly identical aside from the other being a gold/dark yellow color. This makes me assume that this style of wrap must have been released by Premier at some point in time, possibly in limited quantities. Any thoughts?

Also - I paid $140 for everything: Snare, 2 Rack+1 Floor Tom, Kick, Tom Mount, Snare+Hi-Hat+Cymbal Stands, Iron Cobra Kick Pedal and I plan on doing a full restoration, as this is my first/only Premier kit. Even though it's going to cost me $180 to replace all of the heads and maybe $60-$80 to replace the Kick hoops, everything else is in proper enough shape for a simple (but tedious) Wire Brush/Sandpaper/Dremel/CLR/Buff & Polish job. So I hope I didn't get a bad deal.

Anyways - thanks again for your help!

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score

Hope you got 'em cheap.
Thanks a bunch for the help with identifying these. The catalog shots are great! Seeing Birch/Eucalyptus/Birch shells mentioned in the description definitely peaked my interest!

I must ask though - What indicates that this kit has been re-wrapped? I only question this statement because I have access to another set of these, and the wraps on both kits are nearly identical aside from the other being a gold/dark yellow color. This makes me assume that this style of wrap must have been released by Premier at some point in time, possibly in limited quantities. Any thoughts?

Also - I paid $140 for everything: Snare, 2 Rack+1 Floor Tom, Kick, Tom Mount, Snare+Hi-Hat+Cymbal Stands, Iron Cobra Kick Pedal and I plan on doing a full restoration, as this is my first/only Premier kit. Even though it's going to cost me $180 to replace all of the heads and maybe $60-$80 to replace the Kick hoops, everything else is in proper enough shape for a simple (but tedious) Wire Brush/Sandpaper/Dremel/CLR/Buff & Polish job. So I hope I didn't get a bad deal.

I could be wrong about the re-wrap - though the finish that your drums have wasn't cataloged - Marc M says they could've been a GC-only color - and considering that GC was very deep into Premier back then, such could be the case.

For $140 you did good - real good. These normally sell in the $300 range used, so don't get too carried away in your restoration; I would clean them up, replace heads where needed, and enjoy them.

reevolution

Reaction score

Hope you got 'em cheap.

I could be wrong about the re-wrap - though the finish that your drums have wasn't cataloged - Marc M says they could've been a GC-only color - and considering that GC was very deep into Premier back then, such could be the case.

For $140 you did good - real good. These normally sell in the $300 range used, so don't get too carried away in your restoration; I would clean them up, replace heads where needed, and enjoy them.
Excellent. Thanks again to both you and Marc.

The other kit (gold wrap) has an asking price of $550. They're convinced it's a 1960s era kit. Glad I found out the proper information prior to investing too much time and effort into keeping this thing as 'vintage' as possible.

Premier USA

Reaction score
APK Retro Satins were released for the 75th Anniversary in 1997 and were available in a bunch of colors including the red one you have. Production ended on these in early 1998. I don't believe they every made it into a full up catalog but here is a shot from the 75th Aniv flyer.

Hope this helps
View attachment 122954