Older Zildjian Rock rides and Ping rides same cymbal

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's a letter in the latest Modern Drummer (Nov. 2009, page 20) where a reader asks why a Sabian spokesman referred to Neil Peart using a 22-inch Zildjian Rock ride from the Canada factory instead of the Ping ride that the reader thought he used. (The reader was referring to a 2005 Shop Talk article in MD where it was said that Peart's cymbal was more than 20 years old at the time.)

The Sabian spokesman responded in the current issue that, at that time, the Zildjian Ping ride and the Rock ride were the same cymbal. A rock drummer would buy the "Rock" model but a jazz or funk drummer would not want a "Rock" model. They wanted the "Ping" model. The cymbals were the same, but with different stamps.

I guess i just proves that you have to buy with your ears.

Cheers. Tom N

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's a letter in the latest Modern Drummer (Nov. 2009, page 20) where a reader asks why a Sabian spokesman referred to Neil Peart using a 22-inch Zildjian Rock ride from the Canada factory instead of the Ping ride that the reader thought he used. (The reader was referring to a 2005 Shop Talk article in MD where it was said that Peart's cymbal was more than 20 years old at the time.)

The Sabian spokesman responded in the current issue that, at that time, the Zildjian Ping ride and the Rock ride were the same cymbal. A rock drummer would buy the "Rock" model but a jazz or funk drummer would not want a "Rock" model. They wanted the "Ping" model. The cymbals were the same, but with different stamps.

Cheers. Tom N
I always thought the Ping was Medium Heavy and the Rock was Heavy...

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmm. well, they are different animals now. my brother has an actual 24" heavy ride, that thing could be used as a weapon if thrown with precision. i would like to hear the 2 compared. this could just be part of the sabian/zildjian feud.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ed Shaughnessy used a Rock ride back in the day...
They are two different cymbals...
A Sabian spokesperson is not a good source.

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's some more info from the magazine:

Sabian Spokesman Mark Love refers specifically to the 22 A Rock ride and the Ping ride made in the Azco, Meductic plant in Canada.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the Sabian spokesman was talking about 22-inch Rock and Ping rides made at the plant when it was still Zildjian (before Armand and Robert Zildjian split and the Azco plant became part of Sabian.)

What about the possibility that these cymbals were the same at that time, say prior to 1980/81 when they split?

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think the Sabian guy knows absolutely nothing about what he's talking about.

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
I have owned both. They are completely different cymbals. The 20" Rock Ride was a heavy clanger with an obnoxious ping. Great big bell which easily could get too loud. I was glad to get rid of it.
The 20" ping ride was medium weight, with a small bell and slightly flatter profile. Nice controlled ping but not enough wash for my taste.

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a Rock 21 ride back in the day, and it definitely had a larger bell than the Ping Ride, whose bell was a bit smaller making for a more compact stick tone. The Rock rides had lots of overtones, even in their heavy weight.

Doesn't matter now. I can't stand either one of them! <_<

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I thought that to be somewhat fishy too---I have a 22" Rock Ride with the hollow logo stamp on it, and it doesn't remotely play or look like the 20" Ping that I have that will soon be up for sale. For one thing, the bell is enormous, as it is on the 21" Rock Ride that I have. I actually like the Rock Rides, just for the fact that I ride with my left hand and the bells on them present a sufficient target for me, unlike the dinky bell on the Ping. I will say that I prefer the 21 to the 22---the 22 is much harder to control. But, the overtones are much more obvious to me, and aren't so noticeable at a distance, as I've had opportunity to listen to the 21 with someone else playing it. It "warms up" with a little distance, and has a nice clean "ping." I got turned on to them by Kevin O'Connor, who had a couple with his setups.
Perhaps this was a practice peculiar to the Meductic plant?

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah the rock ride had a larger bell. Totally different. The ping ride and the normal ride both has a slimmer bell, not as pronounced as the Rock ride and in any case this Sabian guy was just trying not to sound like he didn't know what he was talking about. It was an honest mistake, though, assuming that no one else would have picked up on the misstatement.

It was probably a sticky subject for him anyway, since Sabian has to admit their Paragon series is based on 70s Zildjian cymbals.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score

Cheers. Tom N
I'm sorry but that's bull, and another reason why you never ask a SABIAN rep about ZILDJIAN cymbals.
They weren't the same then, they aren't the same now.
CLOSE, but not the same.
Its an odd sensation, but the Ping feels more "solid" than the Rock Ride, but doesn't have much of a bell.
The Rock Ride actually feels and plays heavier than the Ping, and has one heck of a bell.
You can just look at them and tell they're not the same.

FWIW, my old hollow logo 21" Rock Ride weighed 4300 grams.
I've heard from owners of Ping Rides of a similar vintage and they were well under 4000 grams.

Elvis

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
i`ve owned both also and don`t care to go back to either one either. the bell on the rock ride will cut your head off. sabian says the paragon ride is suppose to be like neils old ping ride. again, 2 complete different cymbals.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a paragon ride and got rid of it. It was very heavy and dry. To heavy for me didn’t open up at all

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Old thread, but this comes up from time to time. 22" & 24" Ping Ride and Rock Ride are the same cymbal, different stamp. There was never a 22" or 24" Rock Ride in the catalog. In the 1980 Zildjian catalog, there isn't a 21" Ping Ride model available. The point of the Rock Ride it is the bell of the bigger ride on the 21" size. When you get to the 22" or 24" sizes, per the catalog, it's a Ping Ride. You can call it a Rock Ride or if you ordered a Rock Ride they will stamp it Rock Ride. Just marketing semantics.