Older Zildjian Rock rides and Ping rides same cymbal

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
History of Zildjian cymbals has been a difficult nut to crack. There have been many topics regarding revisionist history coming directly from Zildjian. In this case the Sabian spokesperson could know what he's talking about, if he was working at the Sabian plant when it was a Zildjian plant, and if he's aware of these things.

There are people who apparently know more than present or former Zildjian/Sabian employees about the company history and the model info who are out there. I've owned Ping and Rock rides. the Ping has a slightly smaller bell the Rock Ride bell is a bit larger.. That being said how friggin' important is this, anyways?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
"...how friggin' important is this, anyways?"

We're drummers.
If we don't argue about such trivial facts, who will.
It's our duty to have these conversations! ( ;) )
I agree with you, though.
They're two different cymals....and its a way for us to keep our post counts up. ( :-D )

Elvis

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You guys are over complicating a simple thing. The 22/24 ping and rock rides are the same. There were only 20/21 rock rides in the catalog.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've owned Ping and Rock rides. the Ping has a slightly smaller bell the Rock Ride bell is a bit larger.. That being said how friggin' important is this, anyways?
Indeed, Not important enough to revive after 10 effin years.
Personally I think both cymbals are just 1 trick ponies - too heavy for anything but a 'ping' sound, which any decent ride can do playing higher up the bow.

Last edited:

NewBeat

Reaction score
A. Zildjian heavy/ping/rock rides are actually two-trick ponies: ping + killer bell.

The crashability / wash level can vary from hardly anything at all to quite a lot.

The latter are very difficult to find, but they do exist.

I'm thinking wash on a heavy cymbal requires a fair amount of bow taper, at least comparing the two rock rides I own. Both are late 70s, but one is quite dry and the other very washy (so washy I sometimes lose control of it).

I'd guess that the washy ones aren't common because either they've mostly edge cracked (being ROCK rides and played heavily), or being from that era and mindset, Zildjian soon realized that a thinner edge was leading to lots of returns, so they quit tapering them.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess the Coke formula I got from the guy at the Pepsi factory may have been pulling my leg?

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My buddy had an open logo 21" Rock Ride. He was not a heavy drummer, but he loved that ride. It was one of those Z's where it has it and then every other one you play doesn't comes close. It was crashable as rock rides go.

Back in the late 90s I picked up a set of Brilliant finished Zildjians including a 20" Rock Ride. The cymbal had a nice ping, but the bell didn't knock my socks off...I should have ordered a 21" instead.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
thumbnail.jpg

This is a 22" Ping Ride that I bought in 1982 from Sam Ash in Paramus, NJ. You can see that the bell is considerably big. It's heavy, maybe a little clangy, but cuts through. Years later, I wanted to play 2 ride cymbals a la Ian Mosley of Marillion. My friend brought over his 20" Medium, and to our astonishment, they were two peas in a pod sonically!

Fast forward to a few years ago, when I got a 20" Redesigned A Ping. I can actually crash on it! The '82 is like hitting a manhole cover.

Dan

Latest posts