Oldest cymbal bought new?

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I once had a pre-sn 602 ride 21". It was so old, it had engraved on the back side, "Property of NY Board of Education-Brooklyn Conservatory". I was told, it was purchased NEW by the NYC Bd of Edu to be used in the music dept. The story goes, the school closed 50 years ago, the cymbal stayed in storage, sold and eventually bought and sold many times before I obtained it. Foolishly, I sold it way before I knew much about Paiste, or the value of what I had.
Back then, it was all Zildjian.
Been kicking myself for years.
For the record, I finally came to my senses and the last few years moved back to Paiste where I now have, among other pies, a Blue Label 602 22" flat..will never part with

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Zildjian Rock Ride 20” is the oldest which I purchased at Sam Ash White Plains, NY in early 1977. Closely followed by New Beats 14” later that year or early 1978. Still have them and use them occasionally. Luckily, I have washed all the incriminating evidence off a long time ago ;-)
Man that was a great store and musicians hang back in the day. I probably saw you there, the whole band used to go up and spend the day, couple guitar shops down on the corner and access the street. Great burger & brew joint couple doors down. Left few bucks at SA!

Still have these badboys
03BA5BE2-2709-4D2F-9445-A629C3ABD086.jpeg
from right around that era

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wasn't going to out you Biggles, but thanks for revealing your Cymbalholic background :glasses8:

Nice to see another refugee from Cymbalholic posting here since CH has gone Read Only. I've recorded a few weight class ink stamps on K Zildjian Istanbul cymbals (and of course the weights themselves) plus ads and catalog offerings which mention weight classes. I am slowly working towards an overview of weights which places what was going on in Istanbul vs America in the different production eras/decades side by side. But the accent is on slowly because my health doesn't allow for fast progress.
I had a sense it was a wondering holic when I saw just a couple posts and pulling out the old K card lol. Hi biggles welcome to my cymbal party!

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I once had a pre-sn 602 ride 21". It was so old, it had engraved on the back side, "Property of NY Board of Education-Brooklyn Conservatory". I was told, it was purchased NEW by the NYC Bd of Edu to be used in the music dept. The story goes, the school closed 50 years ago, the cymbal stayed in storage, sold and eventually bought and sold many times before I obtained it. Foolishly, I sold it way before I knew much about Paiste, or the value of what I had.
Back then, it was all Zildjian.
Been kicking myself for years.
For the record, I finally came to my senses and the last few years moved back to Paiste where I now have, among other pies, a Blue Label 602 22" flat..will never part with

Same , nobody was playing Paiste back in the day as you said Zildjians were everywhere. I remember a few Ludwig Standards here and there but Paiste really didn’t have a presence around me until
Late 70,s early 80’s and I really wasn’t a fan. Took me about 20 yrs ago I got my first Blue Label 602 20 Heavy came with a Rogers kit I purchased , love at first hit on both accounts.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
my first (used) set came with 18, 20 and pair 14s Avedis Zildjians. That was '68 (so cymbals were likely? 5 years or so old then) played those for 8 years before buying in 1976 (adding) 2oo2 SE hi hats and a 16" crash. And an 18" Avedis Crash-ride (still have that
And I still have the 14" hi hats from that first set. Nice weights 884/910.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So.. i thought I'd share...
I no longer own these, but they were some of the first NEW cymbals I ever owned.
Christmas Day 1967, Zildjian, 13" match pair Hi Hats, + new Ludwig Hi Hat stand.
Yeah, that's me in the bathrobe and jammies :happy7: .
There was NO remote control for that Black & White TV on the left side of the pic, 3 VHF channels and maybe 1 UHF channel. You got up off your ass walked over to the set and twisted the dial, yeah! that's old school.

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
You were styling there Glenn with your bathrobe and your 13 inchers, Slingerland throne too! I had one of those also the bottom rails would come unhooked if you weren’t careful you’d go flying on your ass!
Great kodak moment there , many a happy drummer Christmas ‘67

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
16" A. Zildjian Medium Thin Crash purchased in 1980 and cracked in multiple places. Next oldest would probably be a late 90s 18" Paiste Sig. Full Crash.

NewBeat

Reaction score
my first (used) set came with 18, 20 and pair 14s Avedis Zildjians. That was '68 (so cymbals were likely? 5 years or so old then) played those for 8 years before buying in 1976 (adding) 2oo2 SE hi hats and a 16" crash. And an 18" Avedis Crash-ride (still have that
And I still have the 14" hi hats from that first set. Nice weights 884/910.
Good taste in 2002s there, Joe! I can't remember if we ever discussed this, but in the late 70s I picked out the exact same Paiste Black Label 2002 14" SE hats & 16" crash.

Those hats were nice, bright & cutting but still musical, & I LOVED that crash for pop tunes. Unfortunately, they all evntually cracked from metal fatigue after many, many gigs.

NewBeat

Reaction score

So.. i thought I'd share...
I no longer own these, but they were some of the first NEW cymbals I ever owned.
Christmas Day 1967, Zildjian, 13" match pair Hi Hats, + new Ludwig Hi Hat stand.
Yeah, that's me in the bathrobe and jammies :happy7: .
There was NO remote control for that Black & White TV on the left side of the pic, 3 VHF channels and maybe 1 UHF channel. You got up off your ass walked over to the set and twisted the dial, yeah! that's old school.
View attachment 398677
Like that Carling Black Label beer carton!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First new cymbals I bought myself were around 1973/1974 from Banko's Music shop in Ansonia, CT. They just closed for good this past year.
A pair of 14" new beat hats (815/1145 gm) and a Zildjian 16" crash - 1045 gms. They have never left my primary kit. I had a clunker Japanese or Kent ride during that time.

In 1983 I ran across of 3 other used 60's Zildjian A's (18 med thin, 20 med thin, 22 heavy ride). Those have comprised my basic cymbal set on my primary kit for 36 yrs now.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man that was a great store and musicians hang back in the day. I probably saw you there, the whole band used to go up and spend the day, couple guitar shops down on the corner and access the street. Great burger & brew joint couple doors down. Left few bucks at SA!

Still have these badboys View attachment 398673 from right around that era
Not to get off topic, but the BEST drum store in metro NYC was, Manny's, in Times Square...
Sam Ash was good, not denying that, but...

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes of course goes without saying, Manny's was the best, all those drums in the windows! Speaking of, anyone have a Original Manny's Zildjian?

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Yeah man I bet we crossed paths in there...lots of $$$ and good memories for sure!

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not to get off topic, but the BEST drum store in metro NYC was, Manny's, in Times Square...
Sam Ash was good, not denying that, but...
[/
Yes of course goes without saying, Manny's was the best, all those drums in the windows! Speaking of, anyone have a Original Manny's Zildjian?
Manny’s was freakin awesome! My buddy picked up one of the first Brady snares available in the US there in the 80’s if I remember correctly. Prior to his passing he gave that Brady to me...man what a coveted memory. R.I.P. Craig :-(

Latest posts