Oldest cymbal bought new?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Back in '82 I picked up a nice thin little 16" A. crash from a pawn shop for $20.
Back then I just needed a second crash. Thinking back now, it was a beautiful cymbal with a classic dark, glossy patina.
I smashed it to pieces playing in rock bands. Not sure how old it was, but somehow the stamp had almost completely been rubbed off. Just enough to see it was an A.Zildjian.
As for stuff I have now, the story doesn't go that far back....

...2006. Just bought the 20" Paiste Traditional Light Ride from someone @ Cymbalholic.
The hat top, a 13" Dark Energy hat top, was new then, too.
I got the ride used, so I don't know how old it is, but I don't think its that old.
Printed logo, as opposed to etched logo.
Someone drilled it for rivets, but never installed any (or kept them, don't recall). Personally, I think that's the piece de resistance that makes that particular cymbal sound so nice.
Anyway, there you go. 2006.

Elvis

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
When this thread was first posted I racked my brain to try and come up with an answer to this. Since I joined this Forum back in 2006 and became afflicted with G.A.S. so many cymbals have come and gone.
I just remembered that I still have an 8 or 10 inch (don't remember which so I'll have to take a look at it) Paiste 2002 Bell Cymbal that I bought new in the early 80s (I think). I haven't had it as part of my setup in a loooong time.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
When this thread was first posted I racked my brain to try and come up with an answer to this. Since I joined this Forum back in 2006 and became afflicted with G.A.S. so many cymbals have come and gone.
I just remembered that I still have an 8 or 10 inch (don't remember which so I'll have to take a look at it) Paiste 2002 Bell Cymbal that I bought new in the early 80s (I think). I haven't had it as part of my setup in a loooong time.
219A7CB6-8593-47AC-B7DD-605B47D5AFA5.jpeg

8” it is.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
Oldest cymbal bought new ..

A paiste signature 16" fast crash

It jumped out of my van's back hatch and hit the pavement back in the 90s, and developed an edge crack

One of my first Cymbalholic encounters was to send it off to be
repaired via scalloped edge cut.

I once discussed selling it to JP

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oldest cymbal bought new ..

A paiste signature 16" fast crash

It jumped out of my van's back hatch and hit the pavement back in the 90s, and developed an edge crack

One of my first Cymbalholic encounters was to send it off to be
repaired via scalloped edge cut.

I once discussed selling it to JP
Ha, I don't remember that one James, there's been so many through the mill lol!

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Still looks brand new! A nice specimen for the Statistician, should be able to put an exact date on that.
Funny you should mention a Statistician. :wink: That 8" Splash is an anomaly from what I can see in the photo. It looks like the serial number is only 5 digits:

PAISTE 2002
____19939

with first digit (year indicator) missing and the 5 digits over to the right emphasizing there is a gap. The full enchilada Paiste serial numbers info is now back online

Paiste Serial Numbers

thanks to Sean Walton. :hello1: So is the 2002 Series info

Paiste 2002 Series

The shift from Black Label 2002 to Red Label 2002 is called "1980" in that entry, but looking a little deeper it is more like part way through 1981. So the leading 1 could be 1981? Or the leading digit could be missing and it is in the range 1981-1986. Give or take. And subject to further refinement as we work through the evidence in the evidence drawer. Note that this isn't the only anomalous serial number in the evidence drawer. Stuff occasionally happens on the way to stamping serial numbers, but they are 99.9% to the expected pattern.

And the obvious questions for the_dude: is there any hint of a leading digit before the 1? Occasionally the numbers are pressed in very lightly. Have I interpreted it correctly as only 5 digits in that smallish image? I'm fairly sure it is a 1 and not a 7 as well. If it is a 7 I have to re-write my little essay but I think you can see where we're headed with this: you have an interesting serial number there in addition to it being a pretty cymbal.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
As always great info Dr Steve I’m going to throw out the logical and obvious guess and say there’s an 8 hiding in the camera glare. I would also venture to say the 2002 collectors out there in cymbaland would go absolutely ape over that 8” Bell

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
As always great info Dr Steve I’m going to throw out the logical and obvious guess and say there’s an 8 hiding in the camera glare. I would also venture to say the 2002 collectors out there in cymbaland would go absolutely ape over that 8” Bell
On current evidence the serial prefix including series (PAISTE 2002) was replaced by the version with no series (PAISTE) in 1985/1986 so a missing leading 8 would be a different sort of anomaly. :dontknow:

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My first new cymbal was a Zildjian 18" Hollow logo Rock Crash. I remember my mom taking me to Daddy's Junky Music in Salem NH to make payments on it. I was 13 or 14 this was 1978/79 timeframe. Thr store manager a man named Frank would take my 4 dollars or 8 or whatever I had saved from lawns, paper routes etc. Weekly until it was paid off. I can still see him taking off the display and putting it in that Zildjian logo bag like It was happening in front of me. Right now.