??? on cracked bass drum hoop

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
I just bought a used set of Tama Silverstar drums. The bass drum hoop has a crack. Its not all the way down but it looks like for half the width of the hoop it is thru to the other side. Also you can see that they did put glue on the crack. Like they just dumped the glue into the crack. They did not try to clamp the crack closed, there is a slight separation of the crack. And they did not wipe the glue so it looks messy but I'm not that concerned with that.
So is this something to worry about? Should I try to remove the glue, and re-glue & compress the crack closed? I don't believe its in danger of breaking all the way, but then again I believe in the easter bunny :) Not sure the glue will hold if the crack is separated.
I'm most concerned if it would completely break. Also would this effect the sound at all?
The rest of the shells are near mint. Probably paid too much (little more than $500 with shipping) for kick, three toms, floor tom & snare but I recorded someone with the same kit & it sounded great so wanted it.
Thanks for any help or feedback anyone can offer.

Top Pic: Outside of hoop
Bottom Pic: Inside of hoop. You can see the top as well and the top of the crack does not have glue in it.

Hoop Outside.JPG

Hoop Inside.JPG

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would try to clean up the mess and re-glue it with Titebond, using a clamp. Fix it up a little better and hide the crack under a claw when you install the hoop. Put it on the front so as to minimize stress from a pedal. Believe me, compared to some of the damage I've dealt with over the years, this is minor and not really a deal-breaker if the price on the set was right. It will not affect function or sound. If you picked up the drums in person, let this be a lesson: you should inspect your purchases more carefully. If an online seller did not disclose this damage, however, you may have a case for a partial refund.

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
I would try to clean up the mess and re-glue it with Titebond, using a clamp. Fix it up a little better and hide the crack under a claw when you install the hoop. Put it on the front so as to minimize stress from a pedal. Believe me, compared to some of the damage I've dealt with over the years, this is minor and not really a deal-breaker if the price on the set was right. It will not affect function or sound. If you picked up the drums in person, let this be a lesson: you should inspect your purchases more carefully. If an online seller did not disclose this damage, however, you may have a case for a partial refund.
Thanks for the reply.
I'll soak the crack in petroleum jelly so I can get rid of the glue (i think its regular white glue) that's on it. I have titebond. Just need to figure out how to clamp it to get the crack closed.

Bought it from a Guitar Center store & shipped to me. Did call & ask questions. Possible they missed it but don't know. I let the store manager know & might get something for it but they're in Ohio which I think is on shutdown. Have to wait until they open again.
No idea if the price was right. Wanted the Silverstars & only found a few complete sets in decent shape. Figured if I can't go out for many months (I'm very high-risk because of medicine I'm on) wanted a better kit than the one I have.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For a permanent fix, I'd use either a Dremel tool or a razor knife (or both) to form a channel connecting both "ends" of the hoop directly across the interior crack, then glue in a "bridge" across the break. It'd be an easy matter then to sand down the excess and do a light refinish job. It's not hard, just a little time-consuming. What else do you have to do?

GeeDeeEmm

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
For a permanent fix, I'd use either a Dremel tool or a razor knife (or both) to form a channel connecting both "ends" of the hoop directly across the interior crack, then glue in a "bridge" across the break. It'd be an easy matter then to sand down the excess and do a light refinish job. It's not hard, just a little time-consuming. What else do you have to do?
That kind of perplexes me. Sorry. If I remove material where the crack is, it would be creating further distance between the surfaces. The glue (guess that is what you are calling a bridge) by itself, which would be the only thing filling that space, has no strength by itself. Unless I completely break the hoop all the way thru (the crack is only like halfway) there would no way to bring the cracked area together.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some 1", 2", 3" C-clamps could bring that back together at both angles. I would get a couple "nail polish" syringe applicators in the 20-22 gauge range. 1/4 to 1/2 inch tip length. That's the only way you can force Titebond glue deeper into the crack where it can allow a strong bond. The glue to wood bond itself WILL be as strong or stronger than the original wood was. You just have to get it injected. Maybe with some light spreading of the crack, it will be enough access (0.6 to 1.0 mm) to inject into. The glue "repair" the previous owner performed was probably just on the surface....and therefore not every strong.

Last edited:

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
Some 1", 2", 3" C-clamps could bring that back together at both angles. I would get a couple "nail polish" syringe applicators in the 20-22 gauge range. 1/4 to 1/2 inch tip length. That's the only way you can force Titebond glue deeper into the crack where it can allow a strong bond.
What I was going to try instead of clamps was a small cargo tie-down strap around the circumference of the hoop.
I can't even find nail polish syringes on Google but I have medicine syringes, just have to see if the small ones glue is not too thick for. Thanks, didn't think of that.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That kind of perplexes me. Sorry. If I remove material where the crack is, it would be creating further distance between the surfaces. The glue (guess that is what you are calling a bridge) by itself, which would be the only thing filling that space, has no strength by itself. Unless I completely break the hoop all the way thru (the crack is only like halfway) there would no way to bring the cracked area together.
Sorry, I didn't explain very well. In essence, I'd build a "bridge" across the crack, but I'd recess the bridge into the wood, then sand it down really pretty and refinish it.

GeeDeeEmm

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
I fixed my bass drum hoop!
In case it helps anyone else. I used Titebond (original) and instead of clamps I used a tie-down strap.
Put the glue in the cracks both just with my fingers & from the top using a medicine syringe, adding a little extra at the top so it would get absorbed or seep down into the crack which it did. Then put the tie-down strap around it, clamped it until it looked like the crack was closed (didn't want to over-tighten it!) and left it for 24 hours. Wiped off the extra on the outside with my fingernail. You can see the crack in the finish, & the glue coloring only that I left on top but otherwise you can't see the crack. I feel confident it will hold up for years. I use Titebond to fix all sort of things on guitars & string instruments and its usually stronger than the wood if done right. Elmer's would probably work too but my Titebond is maybe a month old & my Elmer's could be years. Wood glue isn't as good when it ages.

Appreciate those that offered their help on here.

IMG_20200327_134427.jpg

IMG_20200327_134438.jpg

Latest posts