ON HOLD FOR NOW 1961 Slingerland three piece with shipping prices

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
ON HOLD BECAUSE I AM ON THE FENCE ABOUT SELLING IT.
Pricing and shipping at the bottom of this post.
EDITED: Noted, per idrum4fun that the correct model is Modern Solo SR.

This kit (bass drum, rack and floor tom) are for sale locally. By that I mean that I will deliver within 150 miles of Deltona, FL. This is not collector's grade. It's in excellent condition, but there are a few filled holes if you carefully examine it. What it is, though, is perfect for studios that need to have a kit on hand to record authentic vintage drum sounds, and it's actually pretty nice sounding in live settings.

Bass drum and rack tom are mahogany based on the photos, and the floor tom appears to be maple. Note that this is real mahogany, but the much softer luan, a.k.a. Philippine mahogany that modern drums tout. There is a world of difference between the two wood species. The floor tom is marked 1963 inside. Rack tom and floor tom hoops are COB for a very nice midrange tone.

Here is the initial link to the kit:

Those photos were taken ages ago in my rehearsal space, but later this evening or tomorrow I am going to take copious amounts of photos, including interiors because this kit sounds as good as it looks inside.

$650 (firm) Paypal.
Shipping via UPS Ground west of the Mississippi add $150
Shipping via UPS Ground east of the Mississippi add $90
Any incurred shipping charges in excess of those listed above will be my responsibility. If shipping charges are less than the costs cited above I will refund the difference.

I priced this in the same range as a Gretsch Catalina Club jazz kit. While those kits can be made to sound pretty good, they don't come close to the tone and vibe of this kit. That, dear prospective buyer, is the value proposition of this kit.

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really nice! I would like to add the following to clear up any misconceptions in regards to calling this a "Jet" outfit. The "Jet", catalog #20N, refers to specific drum sizes...and the use of metal bass drum hoops, usually COB, and the Tempo King 940 "Snap-On" pedal. I recently acquired a 1965 Slingerland kit, consisting of a 14x20 bass drum, dual 8x12 rack toms and a 16x16 floor tom. It also has the original #171 dual tom holder. The seller called it a "Jet" outfit, since the bass drum came with COB hoops and the "Snap-On" pedal. This kit is simply the Modern Solo 2R, with the regular wood hoops changed to COB hoops and snap-on pedal.

-Mark

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Really nice! I would like to add the following to clear up any misconceptions in regards to calling this a "Jet" outfit. The "Jet", catalog #20N, refers to specific drum sizes...and the use of metal bass drum hoops, usually COB, and the Tempo King 940 "Snap-On" pedal. I recently acquired a 1965 Slingerland kit, consisting of a 14x20 bass drum, dual 8x12 rack toms and a 16x16 floor tom. It also has the original #171 dual tom holder. The seller called it a "Jet" outfit, since the bass drum came with COB hoops and the "Snap-On" pedal. This kit is simply the Modern Solo 2R, with the regular wood hoops changed to COB hoops and snap-on pedal.

-Mark
Thanks Mark.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Floor tom plus hardware (floor tom legs and bass drum mounted cymbal stand and L-arm:
ft1.jpg
ft2.jpg
ft3.jpg
ft4.jpg
ft5.jpg
hardware.jpg

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
The original set is the 2N Jobbing outfit which came with a 12x20, 8x12 and a 13" snare drum. The 12x20 would have been sent out with key rods instead of T rods. Either they were swapped out or the original owner just ordered the drums a la carte.
Thanks. I purchased them back in 2004 from the second owner who had Precision rewrap them. I know there was a bass drum mounted bracket for a L-rod type cymbal mount for a splash cymbal, but that may have been drilled at some point in the kit's life. This is definitely NOT a collector grade kit, but is (in my opinion) a LOT better sounding than a Catalina Club which I priced it against. Pretty solid and gigable too. I'll give it a month or so, then back into my drum room it goes :)

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I purchased them back in 2004 from the second owner who had Precision rewrap them. I know there was a bass drum mounted bracket for a L-rod type cymbal mount for a splash cymbal, but that may have been drilled at some point in the kit's life. This is definitely NOT a collector grade kit, but is (in my opinion) a LOT better sounding than a Catalina Club which I priced it against. Pretty solid and gigable too. I'll give it a month or so, then back into my drum room it goes :)
That cymbal holder would have likely been original. I had that set in silver sparkle with an added floor tom. Was one of the best sounding sets I ever had.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just found a set of bags that I can throw in. The Beato bags for the rack and floor toms are in excellent condition. The Beato bag for the bass drum needs the zipper repaired (although it can zip and unzip). These are the lower end Beato bags and are best used for storing or local travel. But, they are free with the kit.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Longshot, but am also open to trading this kit for a pair of 14" Sabian Crescent Hammertone hihats and 20" Sabian Crescent Hammertone ride. Willing to deliver within 300 miles of Orlando.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe the coolest lil' kit for sale on the Forum right now. Perfect for someone wanting to get into a vintage kit to play, ready to go! If I didn't have 15 sets, no room, and too-little dough right now, I wouldn't hesitate to grab these.

Plus, seller has a track record as being quite knowledgeable.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Slightly lowered the price. As soon as I get boxes to accommodate the kit I will also consider shipping them, but be forewarned, shipping costs are insane.