On the road with Violent Femmes in October

bonefamily

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2016
Messages
474
Reaction score
7
Location
Ohio
Great gig!! Another Femmes fan here.

Are those Hamilton snare stands? I've been curious as how those hold up.
 
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
432
Reaction score
9
Location
Milwaukee, WI
bonefamily said:
Great gig!! Another Femmes fan here.

Are those Hamilton snare stands? I've been curious as how those hold up.
The stands are junk. AF is working on their own stands, till then I'm stuck with these. I have been through close to 5 of them.
 

dale w miller

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2016
Messages
363
Reaction score
158
Location
Ocean, NJ
Nice gig. So many people I know are huge VF fans including my with. I believe we just missed you all in Asbury Park as we were out of town.

How many shows a year are you doing with them?
 

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2016
Messages
1,136
Reaction score
103
Great band, on a Great Lake! That tour, at those venues, has me missing home.

-John
 

Attachments

Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
432
Reaction score
9
Location
Milwaukee, WI
drumtimejohn said:
Great band, on a Great Lake! That tour, at those venues, has me missing home.

-John
I was good friends with Bill. I worked for him for two years in high school. He was a family friend as well.... I miss him
 
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
432
Reaction score
9
Location
Milwaukee, WI
bigbonzo said:
I'm assuming that is your complete schedule. But, was wondering if you'll be coming to Cleveland.
Nothing in Cleveland as of now... I would venture to say if we are back in Cleveland, it will be in summer
 
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
432
Reaction score
9
Location
Milwaukee, WI
dale w miller said:
Nice gig. So many people I know are huge VF fans including my with. I believe we just missed you all in Asbury Park as we were out of town.

How many shows a year are you doing with them?
The number of gigs depends on what we have going on. I think last year it was 180 shows.... This year, I have no idea... I would have to count them from the archives. We are relatively busy and have been for the past 3-4 years....
 
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
432
Reaction score
9
Location
Milwaukee, WI
dale w miller said:
Nice gig. So many people I know are huge VF fans including my with. I believe we just missed you all in Asbury Park as we were out of town.

How many shows a year are you doing with them?
ITS AN AMAZING GIG! :)
 

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Messages
10,543
Reaction score
1,428
JohnSparrow said:
I'm assuming that is your complete schedule. But, was wondering if you'll be coming to Cleveland.
Nothing in Cleveland as of now... I would venture to say if we are back in Cleveland, it will be in summer
Good luck with that. You'll never find the stage!
 

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2015
Messages
642
Reaction score
56
Location
Albany NY
I was in Home Depot yesterday to buy a new spray attachment for our kitchen sink. Even though it's getting late in the season, they still had a couple of Weber char grills set up on the floor. So I rapped on one with my hands for a short while. (silly me, it didn't cross my mind to bring a pair of brushes to Home Depot with me). I noticed the rattling sound of the lid ... is that the desired effect ? Or do you put some tape or foam between the grill and the lid ? Do you do any prepping or modding to your grill beforehand, or do you just play it au naturale ?
 
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
432
Reaction score
9
Location
Milwaukee, WI
JoePasko2002 said:
I was in Home Depot yesterday to buy a new spray attachment for our kitchen sink. Even though it's getting late in the season, they still had a couple of Weber char grills set up on the floor. So I rapped on one with my hands for a short while. (silly me, it didn't cross my mind to bring a pair of brushes to Home Depot with me). I noticed the rattling sound of the lid ... is that the desired effect ? Or do you put some tape or foam between the grill and the lid ? Do you do any prepping or modding to your grill beforehand, or do you just play it au naturale ?
My grill is the Weber 22" Kettle. I take off the charcoal dust collector under the kettle. We used to use the grill grates inside to place the SM91 on, but have switched and now it sits inside on the bottom of the kettle itself. I don't get the rattling from those extra items obviously. The lid might rattle a bit, but I don't hear that on stage when we play concerts. If it rattles during radio or television, I will gaff it a bit. No prepping per se before shows. The handle holds my stage towel, another plus.
 

Renoroger

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2013
Messages
47
Reaction score
4
Location
Bakersfield,CA
drumtimejohn said:
Great band, on a Great Lake! That tour, at those venues, has me missing home.
-John
I got there once during a month in The Dells in 87, wow, what a shop! The owner had an interesting demeanor but there was so much to see that a friendly chat ensued. How long ago did he pass? What became of the store and inventory?
 

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2016
Messages
1,136
Reaction score
103
Oct. 4 years ago. Big sell off I believe. No Webers though. John would know more.

Speaking of the Weber, it really cuts. Bright. It seems like the height is a good fit too. Cool idea.
 

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2015
Messages
642
Reaction score
56
Location
Albany NY
JohnSparrow said:
My grill is the Weber 22" Kettle. I take off the charcoal dust collector under the kettle. We used to use the grill grates inside to place the SM91 on, but have switched and now it sits inside on the bottom of the kettle itself. I don't get the rattling from those extra items obviously. The lid might rattle a bit, but I don't hear that on stage when we play concerts. If it rattles during radio or television, I will gaff it a bit. No prepping per se before shows. The handle holds my stage towel, another plus.
I watched some recent video from KEXP show. You put the brushes to very good use to get different sounds. I like to think that when playing w/ brushes, the brushes themselves are the instrument, or at least an equal partner with whatever thing is being hit. Nice work and looks like you're all having a blast. Seems like your grill could stand to be raised up a few inches.. but maybe you are used to hunching over a bit to play it. Was that a re-purposed bicycle sprocket suspending your mic ?
 
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
432
Reaction score
9
Location
Milwaukee, WI
JoePasko2002 said:
My grill is the Weber 22" Kettle. I take off the charcoal dust collector under the kettle. We used to use the grill grates inside to place the SM91 on, but have switched and now it sits inside on the bottom of the kettle itself. I don't get the rattling from those extra items obviously. The lid might rattle a bit, but I don't hear that on stage when we play concerts. If it rattles during radio or television, I will gaff it a bit. No prepping per se before shows. The handle holds my stage towel, another plus.
I watched some recent video from KEXP show. You put the brushes to very good use to get different sounds. I like to think that when playing w/ brushes, the brushes themselves are the instrument, or at least an equal partner with whatever thing is being hit. Nice work and looks like you're all having a blast. Seems like your grill could stand to be raised up a few inches.. but maybe you are used to hunching over a bit to play it. Was that a re-purposed bicycle sprocket suspending your mic ?

Yes that is a sprocket! Cool huh?
Im used to the height of the grill now. They only come in one height :)
 


Top