On the road with Violent Femmes in October

bonefamily

Reaction score
Great gig!! Another Femmes fan here.

Are those Hamilton snare stands? I've been curious as how those hold up.

Reaction score
bonefamily said:
Great gig!! Another Femmes fan here.

Are those Hamilton snare stands? I've been curious as how those hold up.
The stands are junk. AF is working on their own stands, till then I'm stuck with these. I have been through close to 5 of them.

dale w miller

Reaction score
Nice gig. So many people I know are huge VF fans including my with. I believe we just missed you all in Asbury Park as we were out of town.

How many shows a year are you doing with them?

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great band, on a Great Lake! That tour, at those venues, has me missing home.

-John

Attachments

Reaction score
drumtimejohn said:

-John
I was good friends with Bill. I worked for him for two years in high school. He was a family friend as well.... I miss him

Reaction score
bigbonzo said:
I'm assuming that is your complete schedule. But, was wondering if you'll be coming to Cleveland.
Nothing in Cleveland as of now... I would venture to say if we are back in Cleveland, it will be in summer

Reaction score
dale w miller said:
Nice gig. So many people I know are huge VF fans including my with. I believe we just missed you all in Asbury Park as we were out of town.

The number of gigs depends on what we have going on. I think last year it was 180 shows.... This year, I have no idea... I would have to count them from the archives. We are relatively busy and have been for the past 3-4 years....

Reaction score
dale w miller said:

ITS AN AMAZING GIG! :)

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
JohnSparrow said:
I'm assuming that is your complete schedule. But, was wondering if you'll be coming to Cleveland.
Nothing in Cleveland as of now... I would venture to say if we are back in Cleveland, it will be in summer
Good luck with that. You'll never find the stage!

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was in Home Depot yesterday to buy a new spray attachment for our kitchen sink. Even though it's getting late in the season, they still had a couple of Weber char grills set up on the floor. So I rapped on one with my hands for a short while. (silly me, it didn't cross my mind to bring a pair of brushes to Home Depot with me). I noticed the rattling sound of the lid ... is that the desired effect ? Or do you put some tape or foam between the grill and the lid ? Do you do any prepping or modding to your grill beforehand, or do you just play it au naturale ?

Reaction score
JoePasko2002 said:
I was in Home Depot yesterday to buy a new spray attachment for our kitchen sink. Even though it's getting late in the season, they still had a couple of Weber char grills set up on the floor. So I rapped on one with my hands for a short while. (silly me, it didn't cross my mind to bring a pair of brushes to Home Depot with me). I noticed the rattling sound of the lid ... is that the desired effect ? Or do you put some tape or foam between the grill and the lid ? Do you do any prepping or modding to your grill beforehand, or do you just play it au naturale ?
My grill is the Weber 22" Kettle. I take off the charcoal dust collector under the kettle. We used to use the grill grates inside to place the SM91 on, but have switched and now it sits inside on the bottom of the kettle itself. I don't get the rattling from those extra items obviously. The lid might rattle a bit, but I don't hear that on stage when we play concerts. If it rattles during radio or television, I will gaff it a bit. No prepping per se before shows. The handle holds my stage towel, another plus.

Renoroger

Reaction score
drumtimejohn said:
-John
I got there once during a month in The Dells in 87, wow, what a shop! The owner had an interesting demeanor but there was so much to see that a friendly chat ensued. How long ago did he pass? What became of the store and inventory?

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oct. 4 years ago. Big sell off I believe. No Webers though. John would know more.

Speaking of the Weber, it really cuts. Bright. It seems like the height is a good fit too. Cool idea.

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JohnSparrow said:
My grill is the Weber 22" Kettle. I take off the charcoal dust collector under the kettle. We used to use the grill grates inside to place the SM91 on, but have switched and now it sits inside on the bottom of the kettle itself. I don't get the rattling from those extra items obviously. The lid might rattle a bit, but I don't hear that on stage when we play concerts. If it rattles during radio or television, I will gaff it a bit. No prepping per se before shows. The handle holds my stage towel, another plus.
I watched some recent video from KEXP show. You put the brushes to very good use to get different sounds. I like to think that when playing w/ brushes, the brushes themselves are the instrument, or at least an equal partner with whatever thing is being hit. Nice work and looks like you're all having a blast. Seems like your grill could stand to be raised up a few inches.. but maybe you are used to hunching over a bit to play it. Was that a re-purposed bicycle sprocket suspending your mic ?

Reaction score
JoePasko2002 said:
I watched some recent video from KEXP show. You put the brushes to very good use to get different sounds. I like to think that when playing w/ brushes, the brushes themselves are the instrument, or at least an equal partner with whatever thing is being hit. Nice work and looks like you're all having a blast. Seems like your grill could stand to be raised up a few inches.. but maybe you are used to hunching over a bit to play it. Was that a re-purposed bicycle sprocket suspending your mic ?

Yes that is a sprocket! Cool huh?
Im used to the height of the grill now. They only come in one height :)