On This Day, Peter Criss Exits KISS in a Drum-Smashing Finale

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
From UltimateClassicRock.com (featuring cool video of the event https://ultimateclassicrock.com/peter-criss-drums-last-kiss-show/):

Peter Criss' first stint with Kiss ended in a private whimper; he made sure his second departure was loud and public.
Angered after learning he was getting paid $10,000 a show less than his fellow returning salaried bandmate, guitarist Ace Frehley, Criss threatened to leave the temporarily reunited original lineup's 2000 tour early. He agreed to stay for the last handful of dates after getting a matching salary bump, but began adding a teardrop to his Catman makeup in protest of what he deemed as unfair treatment.

"In prison, a teardrop signifies that you're tough because you had killed someone," he explained in his 2012 biography, Makeup to Breakup: My Life In and Out of Kiss. "But to me, it meant that they had f'd me over."

"I thought it made him look like Emmett Kelly's famous Weary Willie character," countered bandmate Paul Stanley in his own 2014 book, Face the Music: A Life Exposed. The guitarist noted that Criss' behavior -- constantly posting signs counting down the number of days left on tour, poorly putting on his makeup and playing songs too slowly in concert -- made the rest of the band miserable.

"For the last seven dates, we'd put on our makeup and nobody talked to one another anymore," Criss concurred. "Nobody laughed, there was no music playing in the room -- it was all about just getting through those shows."

"Peter, you're playing too slow!," Stanley recalled band manager Doc McGhee yelling at the drummer during one show. "Well, so are they!" Criss shouted back. "What are you talking about? You're the f-ing drummer!"

Everything came to a head at the last show of the North American leg of what was intended to be the band's farewell tour, which took place on Oct. 7, 2000, in North Charleston, S.C. While Stanley was performing his usual end-of-show guitar-smashing ritual, Criss decided to do him one better.
"I got up, and while the riser was still high up in the air, I started kicking my drums off it," he recalled. "Everyone stood up and cheered, and Paul thought the cheers were for him until he turned around and saw a huge floor tom-tom coming down at him. So he took his guitar, threw it down on the stage and walked off. He must have kept walking, because I didn't see him or Ace of Gene when I went in to take my makeup off."

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I may sound like an old lady, but I was never a fan of smashing gear. I get why he was doing it, his anger and frustrations...but damn, those were precision instruments.

ncdrumr

Reaction score
I may sound like an old lady, but I was never a fan of smashing gear. I get why he was doing it, his anger and frustrations...but damn, those were precision instruments.

...well, I'm an old lady right along with you. That was heinous.

stevesmithfan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are people that work hard and save money for a few years to buy a kit like that. This is so pathetic, Peter doesn’t appreciate getting very expensive equipment for free!

Joe61

Reaction score
Ok, so your band mates make 10k more per show than you. Your pissed and should be. You get a pay bump to their level and finish the last five shows. Then destroy a 10k drum kit. I am sure this behavior can be explained but not in my universe. I also see no value, artistic or other wise, in smashing musical instruments. There is something seriously wrong with society when destruction of something becomes entertainment. IMO.

Last edited:

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The band (Paul and Gene) probably purchased the drums and Gene told Peter he couldn't have them after it was all over. Just speculation. I can imagine Gene referring to "my drum kit" or something condescending all tour.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The band (Paul and Gene) probably purchased the drums and Gene told Peter he couldn't have them after it was all over. Just speculation. I can imagine Gene referring to "my drum kit" or something condescending all tour.
They probably collected the drums, cut them into little pieces and sold them as Peter's Farewell drumkit for big $

That Edge snare coming down 20ft could have killed someone :icon_e_surprised:

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, so your band mates make 10k more per show than you. Your pissed and should be. You get a pay bump to their level and finish the last five shows. Then destroy a 10k drum kit. I am sure this behavior can be explained but not in my universe. I also see no value, artistic or other wise, in smashing musical instruments. There is something seriously wrong with society when destruction of something becomes entertainment. IMO.
I agree, but sometimes the drum kit is owned by the band not the drummer.

Latest posts