One down, Two to go.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keep at this and you'll have another career on your hands!

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, looks like a job well done and I like the look of those grommets you created.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KO...very nice and good technique...nothing like turning some wasted orphans into a great players kit, especially Slingys IMO. They'll look like they just left Niles and sound even better with some age on those shells. Bonus, their chrome always cleans up nice and was top notch. Nothing not to like!

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
Single set-o-matic. I'm actually a fan of that particular mount and that is one of the main appeals to me of Slingerlands (besides that they are great classic American drums).
I love what you're doing with these rescue mutts.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Kevin I have one more question for you. Do you order the wrap an inch or to wider than the drum and then trim it off after it's wrapped?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey Kevin I have one more question for you. Do you order the wrap an inch or to wider than the drum and then trim it off after it's wrapped?
Normally I've ordered full sheets and then cut it oversized a bit myself. This time I had Precision pre cut the wrap for me. They cut it about half to three quarters inch oversized which worked out perfectly for me at a bit lower cost. I cut off the excess then file what's left into the edge.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The sanding of the wrap is a great idea, I used to do that when I worked with laminates.
What is the size of the tubing you use for the grommets?

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kevin, you did a super duper job on that tom. Great work!!!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is another type of 7/16ths aluminum tubing from the same company. It has a thicker wall. I tried that first but it was too stiff and cracked when I tried to flare it. This stuff works perfectly. I also get brass tubing at the hardware store from the same supplier for Ludwig 60s style grommets. Same size for those.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Kevin!

Great job with the shells and choice of wrap. I have a 1967 Slingerland kit in silver sparkle and a 1970 kit in original Sparkling Purple Pearl. As cool as the purple crushed glass glitter is, the silver sparkle always looks best under lights! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your kit!

-Mark

Attachments

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that your a good husband taking care of your wife!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that your a good husband taking care of your wife!
Yeah, but she's impeding my progress on the other two drums. I don't like to start something like that if there's a chance I'll be interrupted, and since she's home bound and needing help with something every few minutes I'm loathe to start on either drum. Oh well, no hurry, it's not like I have a gig at the end of the week I need them for.