One drum company for all of your drumming needs?

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This type of thread has probably been done before, and I didn't search.
But I have some time to kill, so I'll start this up and see where it goes.

One drum company for all your needs, who would you pick?
I'm talking hardware, toms, snares, everything (except cymbals, of course).
I realize this is all a matter of opinion, but here's my picks, with some reasoning to back it up.

*** #1 - Tama

Pros: Very nice hardware and excellent pedals. My favorite is the good old Iron Cobra.
I've also enjoyed Starclassic and Starphonic snare drums. Probably my favorite by far.
Good selections of types of woods across the board for toms and bass drums.

Cons: I really don't like the latest rubber gasket tom mounting brackets.
Sure it isolates the shell and the resonance is good, but the toms flop around too much for me.
I position my toms as low to the bass drum as possible, and I'm always having to adjust them to keep them from bumping into the bass drum and each other.
It's also a drag that it takes sometimes 6-8 months to get any add-on toms for my kits.

*** #2 - Pearl

Pearl was a big player in the 90's but for some reason, unknown to me, that aren't as popular as they once were, at least in my area (central PA).
My local drum shop doesn't even carry that much Pearl equipment anymore. They used to have it all.

Pros: Nice hardware and pedals. I really like the Eliminator pedals. Demon pedals never worked for my personally, but that's not to say they are "bad".
Nice snare drums, the sensitone line is very good quality for the money.
I think the Session Studio (select and classic) are really good drums for the price.

Cons: Many people dislike the tubular tom mounting system, mostly based on "looks". For me, it's fine.

*** #3 - DW

A lot of folks seem to really like or really hate DW. I'm somewhere in the middle.

Pros: They make some really nice snare drums.
Add on toms are readily available in many sizes, especially in the Performance line.
If you want to make a kit with very specific tom sizes and depths, you can probably get it done with DW.

Cons: The hardware stands are high quality, but often too heavy and very expensive.
I have a love/hate thing with my 5000 series bass drum pedals.
Sometimes they feel right, and other times they don't.
I did grind down the "meat tenderizer" heel plate on my pedals.

*** #4 - Yamaha

Pros: The stage custom is a good starter kit and a good kit to take out on gigs.
I have a Recording Custom kit, and it might be the best sounding kit I ever played (after some mods, which I'll state in the cons).
Snares are nice, but I never ended up keeping any of them, favoring the brands listed above.

Cons: While the stage custom is "good for the money" it's not without flaws.
I've had issues with memory locks stripping out and once received a new bass drum that had some separation of the plys.
The Recording Customs and Absolute Hybid Maples are nice, but very expensive.
While I like the positioning ability of the YESS mounts, they do seem to kill the resonance on my RC toms.
When I hold the tom by the mount, in my hand, they resonated nicely.
When I mounted them, the resonance vanished. I tried many different heads and tunings.
I finally resolved the issue by adding the RIMMS suspension to the toms.
More money spent on an already expensive kit.

So, what about Sonor, Mapex, Ludwig, etc?
I did try the Ludwig Atlas Pro BD pedal. It was nice, but I ended up sticking with my Tama and Pearl pedals.
I do have a Supraphonic snare drum that came with my first real kit in the 80's.
It's okay, and I keep it for sentimental reasons (so many gigs played with it), but I prefer the other brands mentioned above.

Honestly, I don't have enough experience other brands to make an opinion.
How many different brands can one person own?

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I ever get a 2nd kit -- the war will be on between Tama and Yamaha. For now, I'm in love with my Tama gear. I've been very impressed with their build quality across kits, snares and hardware.

I agree with Hector on their snares. So many great options and possibilities.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a war with myself between Canopus and Pork Pie when I was choosing a bop kit, but I went with PP because it is customizable, has great customer support, beautiful veneer finishes and it's expandable. The Canopus was a fine set from a fine company, but it didn't have that personal touch.

So I'm a Pork Pie guy now, a porker, a pig, a hog, a hogger or whatever a Pork Pie fan is called.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
No one drum company can meet all of my needs, but when it comes to hardware the Tama Classic stuff is everything that I could ever want.

I'll take it a step further - there is no reseller that meets all of my needs. I use Sweetwater a lot, but they do not carry Regal Tip brushes, and their other stuff seems to be backordered too often. MF carries my brushes and I can count on them for keeping Remo coated Ambassadors in stock. Amazon is hit or miss on a lot of stuff that I use, but there are some incredible deals to be had on stuff that neither Sweetwater nor MF carry. Sam Ash carries calf heads and since I live about 100 miles from their warehouse I usually get my stuff from them faster than Amazon Prime.

What I think I am saying is that there is no single source for most folks, especially from drum companies; even resellers fall short in my opinion.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama would be my choice especially now that they have the Tama Classic series hardware . They had never been on my radar until they introduced the Star Series drums and the Tama Classic series hardware .

If Sonor made ultralight hardware like the Tama Classic series , Sonor would be my top choice . I love their drum sets and snare drums . The Sonor Perfect Balance is my favourite bass drum pedal . I just don’t like their heavyweight stands . The single brace hardware they make is too heavy for me .

DW would be a distant third - sure they make lovely hardware and great drums , just aesthetic reasons ( hate the look of the lugs) are the main reason for picking them third . They make fine drums , offer some fabulous finishes . So I can see why people love them . I have owned two DW kits and they were good drums . I just like other brands better .

hsosdrum

Reaction score
My full-line supplier would be Ludwig. It all comes down to the drums, and I've been a Ludwig guy for the past 47 years (and they offer plenty of professional-line choices, too). As far as snares go, you can't go wrong with a Black Beauty or LM400/402, and their hardware is great, especially their lightweight Atlas Classic line.

In fact, I'm currently using Ludwig drums (although at the moment my BB has been replaced by a wood Dyna) and have all-Ludwig hardware except for pedals (DW) and seat (Tama). But if my only pedal and throne choice had to be Ludwig I'd be way more OK with that than I would be if my only drum choice had to be any other brand.

Last edited:

Jml

Reaction score
Yamaha first, Tama second for me. No others I would be interested in for ALL my drum needs.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Tama for everything?
Absolutely! I could live with that just fine!
They do everything - and do it all extremely well.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I had to turn in all of my gear and start off new with a single modern company then it would be Yamaha, no question.

I am and have long been, dedicated to their hardware, which is, without a doubt, the best that that there is... and that is generation after generation, easily beating whatever competition there may be.

Hardware, including pedals and Hi-Hat stands in very important any to me.

I have also owned several kits from Yamaha and though they are rarely sexy they all give you the 1,000 yard stare.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
1. PEARL
I'm into drum set. Pearl has that covered.
I'm also into marching drums. Pearl has that covered.
I'm also into concert percussion. Pearl has that covered.
I'm also into mallet percussion. Pearl's Adams line has that covered.
I'm also into auxiliary and Latin percussion. Pearl has that covered.
Hardware. Pearl has it covered.

2. Yamaha.
All the above reasons but they don't have the Latin Percussion Pearl does.

NOBODY else is a one stop brand for ALL my needs.

Somebody pick up my mic on the way out.