One drum company for all of your drumming needs?

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you "all Yamaha" guys using their bass drum pedals too?
Which models?

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This type of thread has probably been done before, and I didn't search.
But I have some time to kill, so I'll start this up and see where it goes.

One drum company for all your needs, who would you pick?
I'm talking hardware, toms, snares, everything (except cymbals, of course).
I realize this is all a matter of opinion, but here's my picks, with some reasoning to back it up.

*** #1 - Tama

Pros: Very nice hardware and excellent pedals. My favorite is the good old Iron Cobra.
I've also enjoyed Starclassic and Starphonic snare drums. Probably my favorite by far.
Good selections of types of woods across the board for toms and bass drums.

Cons: I really don't like the latest rubber gasket tom mounting brackets.
Sure it isolates the shell and the resonance is good, but the toms flop around too much for me.
I position my toms as low to the bass drum as possible, and I'm always having to adjust them to keep them from bumping into the bass drum and each other.
It's also a drag that it takes sometimes 6-8 months to get any add-on toms for my kits.

*** #2 - Pearl

Pearl was a big player in the 90's but for some reason, unknown to me, that aren't as popular as they once were, at least in my area (central PA).
My local drum shop doesn't even carry that much Pearl equipment anymore. They used to have it all.

Pros: Nice hardware and pedals. I really like the Eliminator pedals. Demon pedals never worked for my personally, but that's not to say they are "bad".
Nice snare drums, the sensitone line is very good quality for the money.
I think the Session Studio (select and classic) are really good drums for the price.

Cons: Many people dislike the tubular tom mounting system, mostly based on "looks". For me, it's fine.

*** #3 - DW

A lot of folks seem to really like or really hate DW. I'm somewhere in the middle.

Pros: They make some really nice snare drums.
Add on toms are readily available in many sizes, especially in the Performance line.
If you want to make a kit with very specific tom sizes and depths, you can probably get it done with DW.

Cons: The hardware stands are high quality, but often too heavy and very expensive.
I have a love/hate thing with my 5000 series bass drum pedals.
Sometimes they feel right, and other times they don't.
I did grind down the "meat tenderizer" heel plate on my pedals.

*** #4 - Yamaha

Pros: The stage custom is a good starter kit and a good kit to take out on gigs.
I have a Recording Custom kit, and it might be the best sounding kit I ever played (after some mods, which I'll state in the cons).
Snares are nice, but I never ended up keeping any of them, favoring the brands listed above.

Cons: While the stage custom is "good for the money" it's not without flaws.
I've had issues with memory locks stripping out and once received a new bass drum that had some separation of the plys.
The Recording Customs and Absolute Hybid Maples are nice, but very expensive.
While I like the positioning ability of the YESS mounts, they do seem to kill the resonance on my RC toms.
When I hold the tom by the mount, in my hand, they resonated nicely.
When I mounted them, the resonance vanished. I tried many different heads and tunings.
I finally resolved the issue by adding the RIMMS suspension to the toms.
More money spent on an already expensive kit.

So, what about Sonor, Mapex, Ludwig, etc?
I did try the Ludwig Atlas Pro BD pedal. It was nice, but I ended up sticking with my Tama and Pearl pedals.
I do have a Supraphonic snare drum that came with my first real kit in the 80's.
It's okay, and I keep it for sentimental reasons (so many gigs played with it), but I prefer the other brands mentioned above.

Honestly, I don't have enough experience other brands to make an opinion.
How many different brands can one person own?
I'm with you on these four, not necessarily in that order. I could throw a dart, hit any one and be happy with the drums, hardware, etc.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
2. Yamaha.
All the above reasons but they don't have the Latin Percussion Pearl does.
I know Yamaha made Alex Acuna's timbales. Haven't really researched if they've made anything else in the Latin percussion realm...

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like several boutique brands but they don't offer hardware so im stuck choosing from the 10 or so majors hu? I would say Sonor but Im not fan of thier overly engineered hardware....so, it's Tama Star, Yamaha or maybe Grestch. Or, Pearl... or.....heck, Premiere! Hu? Thier not? Well, then thier out... so I will go with CB700!

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
All my drumming needs?

That’s ALL my drumming needs?

I’ll say Gretsch.

Gotta admit, I can make peace pretty quickly with their current hardware offerings, if that means I get vintage cymbals imported under that pretty cool, exclusive Turkish/U.S. partnership they had going from 1929 to about 1958.

Yes, I believe those Gretsch products should do nicely, thank you for asking. :)

Reactions: JDA

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oriollo for drums.
Yamaha for hardware. I don't even use much Yamaha hardware but have always liked their designs.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is tough to answer. For drums its pearl all the way for me. However I don't think I have ever played any pearl bass drum pedals so I would have to try that out. My hi hat stand is a 20 year old pearl, my snare is a 14 year old pearl, so I know that they're durable but the rest of my current kit is not. But if was in the market for new drums I would definitely be after pearl. But I'd have a hard time giving up my dw bass drum pedal. I've heard good things about the demon drive and eliminator pedals but never had the opportunity to play on any.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own kits from DW, Gretsch, and Slingerland, so it could be argued that I do have one drum company for all of my drumming needs. ;)

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, Yamaha.
They are one of the few companies that build phenomenal drums AND some of the best hardware out there.
Yamaha hardware design is so nice. But I currently use Tama. No idea why. But, there you go.
I don’t use Yamaha drums or hardware these days, but have in the past And LOVED them.
Tama falls in that category, too ... but I like Yamaha drums and hardware just a bit more.
I may have to invest in Yamaha soon. Dangit.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Definitely Yamaha for me. I'm a big fan boy of theirs with drums, guitars and audio gear. I have all Yamaha hardware on my kit, and I'd love to have one of the MIJ Maple kits one day. A stage custom was one of my first kits and it lasted me almost a decade before I moved on to something else.

Are you "all Yamaha" guys using their bass drum pedals too?
Which models?
I have two flying dragon pedals, one a single chain, and then one a direct drive. They're great.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha or Pearl...I’d go with Pearl myself.
Pearl has everything covered, with great quality!

Last edited:

NewBeat

Reaction score
I play a lot of timpani as well, so Yamaha timps & kit (though currently using a Ludwig Speed King BD pedal & Slingerland snare).

Last edited:

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yet another vote for Yamaha. With the exception of a few classic Ludwig snares, I’m all Yamaha. 3 sets of drums (with matching snares) and 2 sets of hardware, including bass drum pedals.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha by a mile
Tama
DW

In that order
Agreed! I like that order. I happen to still own drums by both Tama and DW, and they're excellent products. I didn't care much for the Stagemaster hardware I had in the early 1990s; it was fine, but the Yamaha equivalent was always the better bet. I've owned their Rockstar, Granstar, Artstar ES, Artstar II and Artstar Custom kits. All of these were fantastic, with the exception of the Artstar ES, which was a mildly dressed-up Rockstar and really didn't deserve the Artstar badge (but still sounded fine).

Oh, I love DW shells, they're easy to tune and make a great studio kit. I don't like DW hardware because it's so overbuilt and unnecessarily heavy. It just doesn't seem to have the fluidity of Yamaha hardware. Also, I've owned a few "original series" 5000 pedals, both chains and straps; great pedals but I [unfortunately] got to know the DW parts people pretty well (to their major credit, they used to mail me parts for free back in the 1990s—just one phone call and it'd be in my mailbox in a few days).