One drum company for all of your drumming needs?

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ALL my percussion needs? (except cymbals, of course)

What about sticks and heads?
For sake of argument, are there not some distributors carry all of the above including drums, sticks and heads? Most of the companies named have their own branded heads, though it seems nobody specifically goes to buy a Tama or Pearl branded head, for example.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ALL my percussion needs? (except cymbals, of course)

What about sticks and heads?
Not including sticks and heads, since most companies don't make them. Even the heads with the Tama and Pearl stamp on them are actually made by Evans and Remo. And for some reason, the "branded" heads usually seem to have a steel hoop instead of the more common aluminum. I guess it's cheaper to make them from steel?

Genr

Reaction score
Thinking a bit more about this, Gretsch, DW, Ludwig, Tama, Yamaha... any one of them have the ability to meet all my needs, so I’m ready to happily accept an Artist endorsement! Lol

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not including sticks and heads, since most companies don't make them. Even the heads with the Tama and Pearl stamp on them are actually made by Evans and Remo. And for some reason, the "branded" heads usually seem to have a steel hoop instead of the more common aluminum. I guess it's cheaper to make them from steel?
Agreed, I'm just playing devil's advocate. If it's okay for the "all your percussion needs" (except cymbals, or course) company to not make sticks and heads, what about tension rods, and hoops, and wing-nuts/bolts, and cymbal fetlts, and springs?
or...
wait for it...

Shells?

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I'm just playing devil's advocate. If it's okay for the "all your percussion needs" (except cymbals, or course) company to not make sticks and heads, what about tension rods, and hoops, and wing-nuts/bolts, and cymbal fetlts, and springs?
or...
wait for it...

Shells?
I get it. I'm a manufacturing engineer, and I know first hand that no one company makes "all" components on anything. In fact, I'm pretty sure that items with the label "made in USA" do not have to be 100% US parts. Let's just say "most of your percussion needs" and be done with it.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This really does seem to be more of a drummer thing, sticking to one or two brands. Not for everyone, but there seems to be more brand loyalty with drums than other instruments. I also play guitar in a band, and never once have I thought about being all Fender, all Gibson, or all P.R.S. I guess it's simply that with all the parts of the drum set, it just "looks better" when components match? Although, from 10 feet away from stage, no one can tell, unless the toms are all different colors.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the sake of the question, I'll say Canopus. Their drums are on my radar, I do have two of their snare drums, the hardware they produce is great, and their snare wires and other components are excellent. Tama would be my second choice, followed by Yamaha.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This really does seem to be more of a drummer thing, sticking to one or two brands. Not for everyone, but there seems to be more brand loyalty with drums than other instruments. I also play guitar in a band, and never once have I thought about being all Fender, all Gibson, or all P.R.S. I guess it's simply that with all the parts of the drum set, it just "looks better" when components match? Although, from 10 feet away from stage, no one can tell, unless the toms are all different colors.
I think it's more a matter of Fender not making a Les Paul, or Gibson not making a Strat or Tele. Most of the drum companies make drums out of multiple woods, covering all the bases a drummer might want. I'm a Yamaha drum fan, and the 3 sets I own are made out of different wood species and/or shell layups.

I'm able to get Strat, Les Paul and PRS sounds out of the individual sets. My 9000GA (precursor to the Recording Custom) gives me a nice Strat sound... lots of attack and high frequency clarity. My Club Custom set (made from kapur) is my Les Paul... warm and crunchy. My 80's Tour Custom (birch and Philippine mahogany) is my PRS... an nice blend of attack and warmth. They all have different hardware attached to the shells, which further enhances the characteristics of the shell composition.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The pointlessness of the question reminds me of a similar query I sometimes pose when conversation lags, "If you were stuck on a desert island and could only eat one food during a years-long stay, what would you eat?"

My answer is always, Fried chicken. I'd never get tired of it, and it's great hot on a cool night and still very good at picnic temperature on a hot day.
Gyro. Meats veggies and carbs in a sloppy mixture that always satisfies.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll have to say two main companies works for me. Ludwig for drums and then Tama for stands and pedals, plus a mix of small hardware from both. Other odds and ends from a number of companies. I even have a Gibraltar rack for home use. It's just not possible to get everything from one company.

There was a time years ago when drum companies did supply probably 90% of what you needed; drum sticks, brushes, wood blocks, bongos, cymbals, hardware etc., etc.

sherm

hsosdrum

Reaction score
The pointlessness of the question reminds me of a similar query I sometimes pose when conversation lags, "If you were stuck on a desert island and could only eat one food during a years-long stay, what would you eat?"

My answer is always, Fried chicken. I'd never get tired of it, and it's great hot on a cool night and still very good at picnic temperature on a hot day.
For me it's bread. It's filling, I love the texture and there's an infinite variety of breads so I'd never get bored or tired of it.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
All my stuff happens to be Mapex, except for a couple pieces of hardware that didn't sell with previous drum sets, and I've got everything I could want.

jb78

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ludwig

drummerfriend

Reaction score
Yamaha.. Drums and hardware - including pedals. For 25 years, Yamaha was all I had. Small dosage of Gretsch came in and remains with plans to keep it, but 95% of my gear is still Yamaha.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’m new to this forum, but I’ll jump in with something that I think will provoke some debate. I currently own a Yamaha Birch Absolute kit, have owned Recording custom in the past, and was a big fan of the maple customs and absolute. All were manufactured by Sakae in Japan. Haven’t felt the same about the new Recording Custom or Absolute Hybrid, based on admittedly very limited exposure. Curious about how others feel about their newer lines..
Welcome to DFO Genr!

I really liked the Yamahas built in Japan, I too have been less impressed with them since the split with Sakae.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
The only drums that I own that I could use both drums and hardware is a 1860’s Camco kit.

But since they’re no longer a company I’ll play along with what is currently available.

#1 Gretsch - I love the drums, hardware is ok but bass drum pedal would be difficult to get used to.

#2 Ludwig - I love their Legacy series especially the mahogany shells. The Black Beauty and the Copperphonic are my favorite snare drums so they have that going for them. Hardware is ok. Speed King bass drum pedal is still a great pedal.

#3 - DW - I like their Santa Monica & Jazz series drums but not really in love with them. I love their hardware especially the 9000 series bass drum pedal. Their 7000 series stands are built very similar to the old single braced Camco stands.

# 4 - Sonor - I love their drums! As long as I never have to move the kit I could tolerate their over engineered hardware.

# 5 - Tama - I’m not really familiar with their drums since the Superstar series but I’m sure I could find something similar that I would like. I always loved their snare drums. They always made good hardware but a bit heavy for my likes.

Last edited: