One head, multi-floor tom

REF

Reaction score
I just looked for an hour for a picture I saw a few days ago and cannot find it. Maybe someone here has seen it?

The picture is of a vintage floor tom, white pearl, odd-shaped, like a Trixon bass drum. Lots of lugs on it. One head, growing from smaller at one end, to larger at the other.

I saw the picture many years ago and it gave me some ideas. I should have copied and pasted it somewhere when I saw it the other day.

The concept seemed obvious: one drum that raised or lowered in pitch depending on where the head was struck. Must have been tough to make the heads for it.

Has anyone seen that or, any picture of that unique drum? If you have seen it, you know what I'm writing about. It's pretty odd looking. You can't miss it.

REF

Reaction score
Yes. I saw you posted that on another thread. Where did you locate it? I searched and searched google's image pages under a bunch of different search terms. Nothing.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These sorts of drum experiments always fascinate me. Here is another attempt made by Meazzi to get additional tones out of a floor tom. Haven't played one, but I bet it would be fun.

Attachments

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These sorts of drum experiments always fascinate me. Here is another attempt made by Meazzi to get additional tones out of a floor tom. Haven't played one, but I bet it would be fun.
I think Max Roach played one of those...
I've got one in acrylic, unfortunately without the pedal mechanism - but allt the holes in the shell are there as are the hinged top head lugs.

stopsign70

Reaction score
Roach played Hollywood Meazzi, with and without pedal floor tom.
also Hollywood Tronic drums, and later a Hipercussion pedal floor tom with his Ludiwig set.
anyway different from the object of the post.
you can hear Roach with the pedal floor tom