One knee down....one to go!

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just had my first replacement Tuesday. If all goes well the second one will be scheduled for around end of year.

One problem I will face with my knees during Rehab is that I had a stroke in 2009 and lost much of my muscle's capability in my legs. Basically, the nerves do not fire all of the muscles required for normal activity. Long story short, this means I can't push my other muscles to compensate because it will cause the working muscles to break down under duress. First day of re-hab was already a little disappointing as the PT man told me he has never seen a knee that cannot straighten after surgery....let alone the bending that will be addressed.

Oh well......we will see ow it goes and I am a firm believer in the power of prayer :)

Attachments

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My bandleader, 74, had knee replacement surgery recently, and had been told he'd recover quickly. His actual recovery has been pretty slow, and one of his issues has been the inability to completely straighten his leg. He goes to rehab regularly, and is making really good progress. It's just taking longer than average.

Hang in, and keep on.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had my right knee replaced in July of 2017 and it's never been right. When bending, I can just about get to 90 degrees. Full recovery was over a year. Basically the orthopedic surgeon screwed up. I'm going to have it redone.

Hope all goes well for you.

davidh

Reaction score
Had both done over 3 months early 2017 - the first rehab exercise was pedalling just like on a kit so I went gigging after 2 weeks both times with help to carry stuff and now really hardly notice them... I think they do feel the cold more though.. it does hurt but the drugs were fun..

dsop

Reaction score
Holy crap! Why have all you guys had your knees replaced? And what do I need to do to avoid that happening to me?

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Holy crap! Why have all you guys had your knees replaced? And what do I need to do to avoid that happening to me?
Not sure.... this is my 7th or 8th knee surgery and I am only 55. Don't look to me for advice :-?

TRJR

Reaction score
Not sure.... this is my 7th or 8th knee surgery and I am only 55. Don't look to me for advice :-?
Had both done at same time in 2017. Rehab at times was grueling but PT stressed importance of homework. His feeling was consistency was key. Found myself praying alot for grace and help. Will be praying for you.

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
Not a replacement but I just had a meniscus repair surgery a couple of months ago. I am still in PT a couple of times a week, but happy to be walking again- crutches are a huge pain. Sending healing vibes your way!

davidh

Reaction score
running for too long, too far, too often and with too many beers afterwards... like 40 years

ncdrumr

Reaction score
My mom had both done, changed her life. She doesn't even think about her knees now. But you must do the therapy as instructed during recovery.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Recovering. HOLY CRAP does therapy hurt. I have had about 17 surgeries in the past and this therapy is by FAR the worst. The throbbing pain and nerve pain is non stop and I can't sleep at all until exhaustion takes over.
Anyway...yeah...I'm a Wuss!!!!!
Thanks guys. I'm pushing through it :naka:

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had both hips replaced, first one in '97 and second in '99. Yes..immediately following a surgery like this you will go through about a month of post-surgical soreness while you heal but a year from now you won't even be aware you have it. I definitely agree with others that the physical therapy is very important so that you do not develop any favoring or negative tenancies. The way you heal is how you will stay.

Also, as another post mentioned, these implants are like built-in thermometers...you will fel the cold if you live in an area that has signs reading "Bridge freezes before roadway". It was a contributing factor to our moving to Florida from upstate NY 20 years ago.

Latest posts